Who Goes in the First Cut?

wildcard

Just now, Eric-OH said:

I’m hopeful that it’s not the worst grade of injury.  But you could be correct.  
Also if we hear tweak as opposed to strain it’s slightly better news.  Sore is closer to tweak.

True, not like TJ. But, like a guy with chronic hamstrings, once a player gets a oblique, he is prone to repeat the injury.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fortunately, they’re just saying his oblique is “sore.”     Hopefully they caught it early and it will calm down.   

Hopefully, hate to see any prospect get shut down for 2-3 weeks or months.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fortunately, they’re just saying his oblique is “sore.”     Hopefully they caught it early and it will calm down.   

I feel like they always thing they catch obliques early and it never matters. Wells' ST is toast, IMO. But he was a long shot anyway with two veteran SPs and two Rule 5s and other prospects like Akin and Kremer ahead of him. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel like they always thing they catch obliques early and it never matters. Wells' ST is toast, IMO. But he was a long shot anyway with two veteran SPs and two Rule 5s and other prospects like Akin and Kremer ahead of him. 

Oh, he had zero chance of breaking camp with the Orioles.    This is more about whether he gets a chance to throw in front of the major league coaches, and whether his MiL season starts on time.    Last year, his oblique issue delayed his AA debut until April 20, but fortunately he suffered no lingering effects after that.    

I was hoping Wells would be able to get in a couple games and make some big league hitters look bad to have a bit of a mental impression on the staff who may question whether his stuff will play in the big leagues. Hopefully he pitches well in Triple-A to earn a chance later in the year regardless.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:41 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I know they are cuts,but are they really?

I mean they got a ST invite just to be a body, and everybody expects them to be in the minors.

So you hear the word cut, you think of a promotion and it really isnt

Or am I overthinking this?

Extra body, but also better instruction, at least in theory.  You have vet presence and extra coaching.  20-30 coaches for 69 guys.  vs 20 coaches for 150.  And you are seen by the big league staff.  Not sure how often Hyde and co. head over to twin lakes, if ever.  

6 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

No.  Games start late, but Pitchers and catchers will all be checked in by 3/4, rest of them by 3/8, the full squad report date. 

Games begin 3/18 so I’ll see about 10 days worth of total organization in practice mode.  I’m counting the days until I can see and report on their developed skills against other teams.

78203EDE-445F-4545-A8C9-D654F4F0BF62.jpeg

I would expect the days leading up to organization games will be intrasquad games, so not entirely all practice.  WAYYYYY too many pitchers to be just that many games that need experience, especially since first cuts will most likely come the 2nd week of games.  

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Please explain why this matters.  Eric has been to the minor league camp and there are a lot on minor leaguers all ready at Twin Lakes.

They are there in unofficial capacity and/or early camp roster to supplement big league games.  I'm guessing Sunday or Monday will be first round of cuts and the following weekend will be position players.  I don't see many position players getting cut because everyday players in big league camp don't take as many swings/need it.  Spring is mostly for pitchers.

22 hours ago, Eric-OH said:

According to the team you are correct in your guess about intrasquad games.  They will be next Tuesday and Wednesday and go on sporadically through the reporting dates.  I found this out today so way to be ahead of them!

Not ahead of them, just...some things never change lol.  I guess you can only do so many fielding drills and BP.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:16 AM, wildcard said:

The O's have 69 players in camp.  43 players need to come off the roster.  I think there will  be 5 major cuts.  One a week, probably on Sat or Sundays.  About 8 players a week get cut.

The first cut will probably be mostly non rostered players that have no major league experience.  I could see Alvarado, Diplan, Lowther,   Martin Cervanka,  Canelo, McCoy and McKenna going this weekend.  There could be more depending on what happens over the next few days.  I am not sure that Rutschman goes in the first cut.

53 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Well, you got 3 of the 5 (Lowther, Canelo, McCoy).    I wasn’t at all surprised to see Wells go.    Bannon surprised me a little but Hyde has an awful lot of infielders to look at and Bannon clearly wasn’t going to be on the OD roster.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, you got 3 of the 5 (Lowther, Canelo, McCoy).    I wasn’t at all surprised to see Wells go.    Bannon surprised me a little but Hyde has an awful lot of infielders to look at and Bannon clearly wasn’t going to be on the OD roster.    

I also got when the first cut happened.   I am surprised more players were not sent down.