TT: Early Look at Positional Battles

Tony-OH

Tony, regarding these position battles. I am assuming that guys you do not mention at all are guys you don’t think have any chance?

At this point, do you think it is still too early to determine whether presence on the 40 man roster means anything?

Valaika,, Velasquez, Martin seem to have surpassed Urena and Urias in the utility race. Would that be an accurate assumption?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Tony, regarding these position battles. I am assuming that guys you do not mention at all are guys you don’t think have any chance?

At this point, do you think it is still too early to determine whether presence on the 40 man roster means anything?

Valaika,, Velasquez, Martin seem to have surpassed Urena and Urias in the utility race. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Yeah, if I didn't mention them then I don't think they are really in hunt for jobs. I don't think Kremer has any chance of sticking and I doubt Akin is going to stick, but wanted to mention how they are getting long looks.

As for the 40-man, there are several guys that could be DFA'd tomorrow and I doubt anyone would blink an eye so unless it comes down to two guys being even and you keep them both by sending the NRI guy down, then that's where that comes into consideration.

Judging by the amount of PAs and OppQual, I would say yes to the utility guys. I think they really want Velasquez to stick because of his versatility. After that, it's anyone job. I doubt too many people would be upset if Urias was DFA'd for Valiaka. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Tony, you mentioned Herrera at 1B.  the guy has played more 2B in his career than anything, and also can play 3B and OF.  Do you think he might be in the Utility mix?

Just the couple games I've watched, Herrara (learned to spell his name too ? ) has looked more than serviceable at 1B, altho I'd guess he's expected to play there only occasionally, and elsewhere in the IF much more. Just off my shoddy memory, he's hit a little too, not spectacular but a little.

Tony, very interesting angle on your judgements! Based on quality of opponents. I've never seen this before. Like a boss as always!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Hey Tony, Severino has had two passed Balls already this spring, and his defense wasn’t really very good last year.

What chance Holaday actually wins the starting job outright?

If Holoday was the same age as Severino I'd say it could be an open competition, but the Orioles need to see what they have in Severino and see if he can improve in things like PBs and Framing. I do think Holoday has a decent shot winning the backup spot.

• Thanks 1

Two of the non roster players have a great chance of making the opening day roster IMO.   That is LeBlanc and Milone.   The O's need the starters.   Urias and Wynns are the two most vulnerable players on the 40 man IMO.

The O's have mainly a right handed hitting lineup.   Hays, Mancini, Nunez, Mountcastle, Alberto, Iglesias, Severino are all right handed hitters.  Davis and  switch hitting Santander are the only regulars that hit lefty after Mountcastle is  promoted and Nunez plays 3B.  So having lefties that can fill in is important.  On the bench there is lefty Ruiz.  That gives lefty Sisco an edge over Holaday.    Switchhitting Mullins has a  chance  to make the  26 man as a backup player.  Velazquez being a switch-hitter adds to his chances over righthand hitting, non rostered Valaika.     

DJ Stewart or Smith are both lefties but whoever wins the OD job is probably sent down when Mountcastle is promoted.   Or they could add Valaika  to begin the season and demote him when Mountcastle is promoted.  Valaika has an option.   If that happens then Lakins is probably the most likely to be DFA'd to make room for Valaika.

The other thing that is nice about this alignment is that Mullins and Velazquez can be defensive replacements for Mancini and Santander in the corners giving the O's three center fielder types  in the late innings when they are ahead.   And Ruiz can defensively replace Nunez.

Just my current thinking.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Two of the non roster players have a great chance of making the opening day roster IMO.   That is LeBlanc and Milone.   The O's need the starters.   Urias and Wynns are the two most vulnerable players on the 40 man IMO.

The O's have mainly a right handed hitting lineup.   Hays, Mancini, Nunez, Mountcastle, Alberto, Iglesias, Severino are all right handed hitters.  Davis and  switch hitting Santander are the only regulars that hit lefty after Mountcastle is  promoted and Nunez plays 3B.  So having lefties that can fill in is important.  On the bench there is lefty Ruiz.  That gives lefty Sisco an edge over Holaday.    Switchhitting Mullins has a  chance  to make the  26 man as a backup player.  Velazquez being a switch-hitter adds to his chances over righthand hitting, non rostered Valaika.     

DJ Stewart or Smith are both lefties but whoever wins the OD job is probably sent down when Mountcastle is promoted.   Or they could add Valaika  to begin the season and demote him when Mountcastle is promoted.  Valaika has an option.   If that happens then Lakins is probably the most likely to be DFA'd to make room for Valaika.

The other thing that is nice about this alignment is that Mullins and Velazquez can be defensive replacements for Mancini and Santander in the corners giving the O's three center fielder types  in the late innings when they are ahead.   And Ruiz can defensively replace Nunez.

Just my current thinking.

Good thinking, but I don’t know if we go in that direction because of the rebuild. We may favor Valaika, Williams, and even Holaday, so that the other guys can get full time reps in AAA instead of being bench bats. We shall see. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good thinking, but I don’t know if we go in that direction because of the rebuild. We may favor Valaika, Williams, and even Holaday, so that the other guys can get full time reps in AAA instead of being bench bats. We shall see. 

If the O's went that way along with keeping LeBlanc and Milone,  the O's would have to DFA 5 players to make room.    I don't see Elias doing that.

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I didn’t see Keegan Akin mentioned. He has no chance to make this team?

He has some command problems.  I think he starts at AAA.   I would not say no chance.  Just probably not as good a chance as some others to go north with the O's team.