Roch: O's returning both rule 5s

interloper

Sad to see this. I don't think 40 man roster spots are really an issue. Plenty of room could have been made.

I'm guessing they just didn't like Bailey and Rucker all that much after getting a long look.

Good news for the other fringy pitchers. Hess, for example, could be the long man now. 

I think this is a good sign for the Orioles and it’s fans. Using the latest technological tools and two of the brightest minds in baseball, it has been decided to return these two. They were not going to be able to help this year and were found wanting compared to their contemporaries in the O’s system. Why clog up a spot on the big league roster for a year with little potential payoff? The leap from AA to the bigs is huge and they were not good enough to be protected by their former organizations. Evaluated and found wanting.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, interloper said:

The O's could conceivably add the following guys to the 40-man:

LeBlanc
Milone
Williams
Hanhold
Valaika
Holaday

So that's 6 guys who could be added, and that's without factoring in a possible late-ST signing or waiver claim. Looking at that, along with the new rules and limits on pitchers, it does make sense. 

EDIT: Added Valaika and Holaday.

Are you saying that Holaday and Valaika We are added to the 40 man roster today? If so, that pretty much seals the deal on a roster spot for each of them.

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Are you saying that Holaday and Valaika We are added to the 40 man roster today? If so, that pretty much seals the deal on a roster spot for each of them.

No I believe he was saying to add them to the list of non roster guys who have a shot at making the team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

When was the last time the O’s returned all their Rule 5 guys before the season started?     Surely it was before Duquette was GM.    

You are correct. It was 2011, when the O's returned Adrian Rosario to the Brewers a week before Opening Day. Ever since then, the O's have had a Rule 5 player on the active roster or DL every Opening Day:

2012: Ryan Flaherty (active)

2013: T.J. McFarland (active)

2014: Michael Almanzar (on DL; eventually DFA'd June 30)

2015: Jason Garcia (active)

2016: Joey Rickard (active)

2017: Anthony Santander (on DL; activated Aug. 16)

2018: Santander, Nestor Cortes, Pedro Araujo (all active)

2019: Richie Martin (active)

The streak finally ends this year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

Sad to see this. I don't think 40 man roster spots are really an issue. Plenty of room could have been made.

I'm guessing they just didn't like Bailey and Rucker all that much after getting a long look.

Good news for the other fringy pitchers. Hess, for example, could be the long man now. 

If Hess makes it, there has been some spectacular failure from several other pitchers.

23 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

You are correct. It was 2011, when the O's returned Adrian Rosario to the Brewers a week before Opening Day. Ever since then, the O's have had a Rule 5 player on the active roster or DL every Opening Day:

2012: Ryan Flaherty (active)

2013: T.J. McFarland (active)

2014: Michael Almanzar (on DL; eventually DFA'd June 30)

2015: Jason Garcia (active)

2016: Joey Rickard (active)

2017: Anthony Santander (on DL; activated Aug. 16)

2018: Santander, Nestor Cortes, Pedro Araujo (all active)

2019: Richie Martin (active)

The streak finally ends this year.

I wonder if Joey Rickard would be equal or superior to Mason Williams, who is still my choice for fourth OF?

I sense that overall, especially with pitching, the level is improving.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Kind of disappointed to see this but only because last season the Orioles bullpen was literally unwatchable, and I’m not sure what Elias has done to improve it. Maybe Elias should hire DD back as a dumpster diving bullpen builder.

I think part of the issue was that the bullpen was so burned out. When starters kept getting shelled, they went through guys quickly and relied on them for too long.

The starting core might be a bit more improved, Harvey has some fresh blood, Armstrong was a pick up by Elias, and who knows who else in the pen will be from an Elias move.