Leaders Emerge in Spring Battles

Tony-OH

I feel like Lakins made a good statement with how he bounced back from his absolutely awful debut in the Spring, which is refreshing (the bounce back, not the getting shelled...)

I do shudder at the thought of Nunez playing 3rd on a consistent basis. I know it would help get Mountcastle AND Nunez in the line up, but good lord, pitchers will be pissed. 

The catchers race is interesting. Holoday seemed like he was going to run away with it, but Wynns seems to be keeping up, though he does seem to be playing more “garbage time,” but he he has been doing very good on defense (I don’t think he has allowed a stolen base.) Sisco is an interesting case. Suppose Wynns makes it as the back up to Severino. Does AAA have Sisco, Holoday, and Cervenka?

The outfield is such a mess its hard to project anything.   We don't know how long Mancini will be out.  Or if Santander's arm will hold up.   Mountcastle arm could keep him in the minors because he may be a 1B/DH.  No runner is going to stop at 3B if the throw he made is any indication of his ability.  

Davis has first. Nunez has DH.  

Ruiz is killed the ball this spring and along with his defense at 3B he will be hard to bench.

These problems in the outfield open a spot for Williams who is getting on base with regularity.  He can throw and play all three spots.

Velazquez looked good early but has not hit much lately.   Martin and Valaika look like better bench players right now.

Sending back the Rule 5 guys has thinned the starting competition.   Right now it looks like an unforced error on Elias part.   The 5th starter spot looks weak and the only starter  Elias was able to add late last spring was Straily.  If there is nothing better available this spring the O's may have to rush a AAA guy which  I know they don't want to do. Or go with ineffective retreads.

I am kind of down on Milone right now because of his recent history as a starter in not good.

Just  a note: Sulser turns 30 in a few days, not 31.   Lakins is currently 25 and will be 26 on June 29th.  He is not 27.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

The outfield is such a mess its hard to project anything.   We don't know how long Mancini will be out.  Or if Santander's arm will hold up.   Mountcastle arm could keep him in the minors because he may be a 1B/DH.  No runner is going to stop at 3B if the throw he made is any indication of his ability.  

Davis has first. Nunez has DH.  

Ruiz is killed the ball this spring and along with his defense at 3B he will be hard to bench.

These problems in the outfield open a spot for Williams who is getting on base with regularity.  He can throw and play all three spots.

Velazquez looked good early but has not hit much lately.   Martin and Valaika look like better bench players right now.

Sending back the Rule 5 guys has thinned the starting competition.   Right now it looks like an unforced error on Elias part.   The 5th starter spot looks weak and the only starter  Elias was able to add late last spring was Straily.  If there is nothing better available this spring the O's may have to rush a AAA guy which  I know they don't want to do. Or go with ineffective retreads.

I am kind of down on Milone right now because of his recent history as a starter in not good.

Just  a note: Sulser turns 30 in a few days, not 31.   Lakins is currently 25 and will be 26 on June 29th.  He is not 27.

Yeah, baseball reference spring stats have the ages a year off.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, one of my roster choices, “somebody not in camp” is alive again, with the acquisition of Velasquez. Is he going on the 40 man roster?

Yes, any player claimed on waivers automatically goes on the 40-man roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1