OD 26 man roster halfway through ST

wildcard

The O's have played 17 ST games and they have 17 more to play before opening day.

Here is my best shot at the opening day roster based on what has happened so far:

Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Eshelman

Harvey, Bleier, Givens, Castro, Armstrong, Scott, Carroll, Velazquez

Severino, Holaday

1B Davis, 2B Alberto, SS Iglesias, 3B Ruiz, Utility players Valiaka and Martin

LF Santander, CF Hays, RF Williams,  Smith

DH Nunez

Added to the 40 man roster:  Le Blanc, Eshleman, Holaday, Valaika, Williams

To make room:  Open spot of the 40 man,  Wynns, Urias, Phillips to the 60 day IL,   without knowing Mancini's status its either him the 60 day  IL or Lakins

Williams RF

Alberto 2B

Davis 1B

Nunez DH

Santander lF

Ruiz 3B

Hays CF

Severino C

Iglesias SS

25 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s a whole thread about guessing this already...

Yeah but that thread is old. This one basically is a fresh discussion based on the last couple weeks.

meanwhile...Smith?

must we???

No, we must not. Velasquez can handle fourth OF.

I strenuously disagree about Scott. Fry should have a spot, and it’s too soon to give a spot to Velazquez( the other one.) Sulser or Handhold would be a more likely choice.

44 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yeah but that thread is old. This one basically is a fresh discussion based on the last couple weeks.

meanwhile...Smith?

must we???

No, we must not. Velasquez can handle fourth OF.

I strenuously disagree about Scott. Fry should have a spot, and it’s too soon to give a spot to Velazquez( the other one.) Sulser or Handhold would be a more likely choice.

I think Mancini's situation and being lefthanded let Smith sneak on to this roster. I do not expect him to last long. Hopefully Mancini comes back soon, and if not, Mountcastle will be up in due time. 

I would be surprised to see Richie Martin. Seems like he should be playing every day and getting ABs. 

I don't see why Milone wouldn't make the team unless he is not healthy. Eshelman's resume is terrible. I really hope we have someone better. Even if Milone doesn't make it, Velazquez could be the 5th starter and then there would be room for Fry and Scott in the pen. 

Are the O's saying anything about Sisco being in danger of not making the team? 

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't see why Milone wouldn't make the team unless he is not healthy. Eshelman's resume is terrible. I really hope we have someone better. Even if Milone doesn't make it, Velazquez could be the 5th starter and then there would be room for Fry and Scott in the pen. 

Are the O's saying anything about Sisco being in danger of not making the team? 

Sisco is bad. The team isn’t going to say anything about his chances but Holaday has been plenty good enough to supplant him.

Scott is the same as he was. I’d rather have someone else.

Milone probably won’t be ready for OD, but yes when he’s healthy he’ll get a spot.

I don't think I buy that Wynns will get DFA'd. He's outplayed Sisco this spring defensively and I think pitchers like how he works back there. 

I agree Smith is on the roster with Mancini out. 

If Milone is healthy, he'll be on the roster and it's Velazquez over Eshelman on the IMO. Eshelman's pitched great, but you might as well just keep him for emergencies. 

• Upvote 1

I see the halfway point as a point in time.  The second half of ST gets harder and things will change.

Valezquez has stopped hitting.   Smith is probably a better short term solution considering that Williams can play all three positions.

Scott's performance of late has been outstanding.  His walks and WHIP have dropped.  He was down right dominating yesterday.  Fry does not have that ability.  If Scott finds his control he will win the 2nd lefty spot.

Velazquez is a multi inning reliever.   3-4 innings if needed. The team needs mid/long relievers.  So far Sulser and Hanhold are not. And Hanhold is not even on the 40 man roster.

Mountcastle is not doing himself any favors.  His arm in left is very questionable and he may turn out to be a 1B/DH which could extend his time in AAA.

Martin is making a statement that he doesn't need to go the AAA.    His speed will be an asset to the team.   He has options so he can be sent down later if needed. We could see Valaika shift to backing up the OF corners to give Martin more time backing up the infield.

Eshelman has a 4.12 ERA at AAA in 54 starts. And he is only 25.   He is not great but that is a reasonable minor league career to be a 5th starter.   Milone is 33 and has been hurt.  He could over take Eshelman but at the halfway point Milone is behind.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle is not doing himself any favors.  His arm in left is very questionable and he may turn out to be a 1B/DH which could extend his time in AAA.

Defense has never been mount castles strong point. He has a few rather vocal supporters, but he’s not good on defense, and management knows it. The line however, is that if he hits his defense won’t matter, so demonstrating bad defense in left field probably won’t be a dealbreaker for him. Plus, good heavens, he is better than Smith.

Overall, I think versatility seems to be the driving factor. The rule five guys were returned because they’re not versatile. I wonder if Armstrong, who has no options, is in danger of not making the team? He’s done well, but some other guys are as good or better and would Provide more flexibility.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Defense has never been mount castles strong point. He has a few rather vocal supporters, but he’s not good on defense, and management knows it. The line however, is that if he hits his defense won’t matter, so demonstrating bad defense in left field probably won’t be a dealbreaker for him. Plus, good heavens, he is better than Smith.

Overall, I think versatility seems to be the driving factor. The rule five guys were returned because they’re not versatile. I wonder if Armstrong, who has no options, is in danger of not making the team? He’s done well, but some other guys are as good or better and would Provide more flexibility.

Sulser and Hanhold being at AAA is not a bad thing.   They will be available with options for injuries and poor performance.

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sulser and Hanhold being at AAA is not a bad thing.   They will be available with options for injuries and poor performance.

Yeah I think there will be more than a few guys who don't make it on the 26-man and we'll say "but they did so well in ST!!" Martin I think is one of them, too, but we'll see. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do also agree that Velazquez (the utility guy) is slipping of late. He's just not hitting at all. I feel like we're gonna end up with Wilkerson on this roster again just because they're familiar with him, which is maybe the most annoying of results. 

Valaika and Williams seem like a better bet than Wilkerson right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

I’m thinking Wynns or Sisco at C

i hope we don’t have to see Smith in LF. He’s terrible in every way as a fielder. Williams as the RF is disappointing because he’s a AAAA at best. 

Looks like another really bad team. 

Why Sisco or Wynns over Holaday?