MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

3 minutes ago, VICIOUS said:

What about all those Vegas bets on wins this season?

They all usually come with fine print that say not valid unless XXX number of games are played (something like 155 or thereabouts).

So once it becomes official that # won't be reached, you can turn in your ticket and get your money back.

• Upvote 1

This whole thing, however hyped or whatever it may be, is so surreal. Monday it still wasn’t real for me.

But Tuesday, my company activated its “business continuity planning”, which I am the planner for my division. This has always been a ceremonial job where I just keep the plan up to date. Rubber stamp. Move on. But Tuesday I’m activated. I’ve spent the last three days planning and talking and discussing COVID-19. 

Meanwhile my whole world is turning upside down. My business travel is cancelled. My beer club is cancelled. Trivia night is cancelled. Baseball and every sport, cancelled. My IRA has less in it than I’ve put in for the first time ever. Runs on grocery store essentials. Tom Hanks has it and so does that basketball player that touched everyone’s stuff as a joke. I’ve also picked up a cough in the last 24 hours. My St. Patrick’s day plans with my mother are cancelled.

I’m probably not going into work tomorrow. Tons of stuff is already cancelled all for Monday and through the week so it’s worse before it gets better. Think about workers in service industries who will not get paid or laid off. Think about people drawing on their dwindling retirement accounts. This is going to be bad for a little bit.

• Upvote 3

So many questions. Here are two:

• If they keep the players working out together, will they start paying them at some point? This could be critical for minor league players.
  • If they break up camp, even though they won't be playing, will players on visas risk deportation if they don't leave the country?

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

This whole thing, however hyped or whatever it may be, is so surreal. Monday it still wasn’t real for me.

But Tuesday, my company activated its “business continuity planning”, which I am the planner for my division. This has always been a ceremonial job where I just keep the plan up to date. Rubber stamp. Move on. But Tuesday I’m activated. I’ve spent the last three days planning and talking and discussing COVID-19. 

Meanwhile my whole world is turning upside down. My business travel is cancelled. My beer club is cancelled. Trivia night is cancelled. Baseball and every sport, cancelled. My IRA has less in it than I’ve put in for the first time ever. Runs on grocery store essentials. Tom Hanks has it and so does that basketball player that touched everyone’s stuff as a joke. I’ve also picked up a cough in the last 24 hours. My St. Patrick’s day plans with my mother are cancelled.

I’m probably not going into work tomorrow. Tons of stuff is already cancelled all for Monday and through the week so it’s worse before it gets better. Think about workers in service industries who will not get paid or laid off. Think about people drawing on their dwindling retirement accounts. This is going to be bad for a little bit.

Similar deal for me in security...we're figuring out coordinating work sites in MD, FL, WA, and TX.  It's a mess.

I was planning on flying up with my daughter to see schools in Baltimore and (Philly ?) next week but all the tours got shut down.

Stay safe everybody, it's weird out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

For people who live paycheck to paycheck.Small businesses are laying off  Catering restaurants, travel agencies,etc.

Think of the part time workers at the stadium  Bars near there.Maybe MLB can help some of their lower paid workers All major sports.They make tons of tv money.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

For people who live paycheck to paycheck.Small businesses are laying off  Catering restaurants, travel agencies,etc.

Think of the part time workers at the stadium  Bars near there.Maybe MLB can help some of their lower paid workers All major sports.They make tons of tv money.

Just think who is going to dentist for routine checkup during this. Optometrists, hair stylists, nail salons, bakeries, musical acts, car dealerships, movie theaters, theater. Aquarium  This is how a recession starts.

my dermatologist sent an email said to consider rescheduling non emergency appointments and if you are over 60 don’t come in unless it an emergency.