MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I was able to get my hotel money back for my trip next week as last night Hilton decided to waive cancellation fees.  Which I really appreciate. Not sure what the deal with American Airlines I might get my money back there as well but haven’t called yet.  I have a  booked two week European trip in July that I hope I will be able to make but who knows at this point.  

This looks bad.They cancelled and the people where what?

South By Southwest will not offer refunds to registrants following a decision by officials in Austin, Texas, to cancel the lucrative conference due to the coronavirus outbreak. However, organizers are planning to enact other means to reimburse people affected by the policy.2 days ago

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

This looks bad.They cancelled and the people where what?

South By Southwest will not offer refunds to registrants following a decision by officials in Austin, Texas, to cancel the lucrative conference due to the coronavirus outbreak. However, organizers are planning to enact other means to reimburse people affected by the policy.2 days ago

I would Call my credit card company and dispute the charges. 

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Then I saw they thought attendance would be low after the war.In fact it was a well attended year.Then saw that it was the first year of the nine game World Series, so wanted less regular season games. Got me.

Same kind of thing is during the Depression the movie industry went thru a golden age. People didn't have money but they still went to the movies. People need their entertainment, more so during hard times.

3 hours ago, MongoBoy said:

I know Heir Cuomo is jumping for joy knowing his state is number 1 again.

The state’s confirmed cases reached 325 as of Thursday afternoon, according to the state’s official website. At least 148 of those cases are in Westchester County, where the city of New Rochelle is located.

I do hope Rob and Laura Petrie are ok. 

Don't really care about Richie, tho. .

They are only number 1 as they are actually doing testing.   I think most of the governors are showing good leadership. Cuomo, Hogan, Dewine and Inslee all have impressed me and I am sure many others are doing a good job as well.  

46 minutes ago, atomic said:

Players told to go home. 

I hope they all drive, no matter how far. You couldn't pay me to fly with the random public right now.

Of course except for the foreign players.... :( Hope this doesn't cause a bunch of visa problems when games begin again.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Of course except for the foreign players.... :( Hope this doesn't cause a bunch of visa problems when games begin again.

Made myself think of a question... The foreign players are here on work visas, right? If they're not "working" are they even allowed to stay in the country?

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I hope they all drive, no matter how far. You couldn't pay me to fly with the random public right now.

MLB said they could also go to the their team's cities.  I doubt they would have to leave the country when they are just postponed.

Do teams have to name their 26 player on their active roster?  I know some players have two way contracts.  How does that work if they don't set their rosters?

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Made myself think of a question... The foreign players are here on work visas, right? If they're not "working" are they even allowed to stay in the country?

Are the minor league players going to get paid?  I hope they are.  If you send a minor league player home they might not be let back in the country when this clears up.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Are the minor league players going to get paid?  I hope they are.  If you send a minor league player home they might not be let back in the country when this clears up.  

I would hope teams would just pay them. Not obligated maybe but it's not that much money and it's just the right thing to do.

Just now, scOtt said:

I would hope teams would just pay them. Not obligated maybe but it's not that much money and it's just the right thing to do.

NBA players association is warning players they might not be paid due to Force Majeure clause in collective bargaining agreement. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

NBA players association is warning players they might not be paid due to Force Majeure clause in collective bargaining agreement. 

I read that somewhere earlier today. What is that in lawyer speak?

7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I read that somewhere earlier today. What is that in lawyer speak?

It means that if there is an event outside the owner's control like a war or an epidemic that for each game missed the owner's can deduct 1/92.6th  of the players salary. And this includes playoff games.

For example, the Wizards have 18 games left in the season so that would mean they would lose 19 percent of their pay.   John Wall makes 38.2 million a year so he would lose $7.4  million if the NBA implemented this.  I am not sure how the playoff games would work as we can't assume that a team would not make the playoffs. I think only Golden State has been eliminated. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

It means that if there is an event outside the owner's control like a war or an epidemic that for each game missed the owner's can deduct 1/92.6th  of the players salary. And this includes playoff games.

Typo? That's 1.1% of their salary. From that they can extrapolate to deduct 100%? I don't understand.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Typo? That's 1.1% of their salary. From that they can extrapolate to deduct 100%? I don't understand.

Never mind. I googled it.

Force-Majeure Clause Law and Legal Definition

Force Majeure clause is a provision in a contract that excuses a party from not performing its contractual obligations that becomes impossible or impracticable, due to an event or effect that the parties could not have anticipated or controlled. These events include natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes and other "acts of God," as well as uncontrollable events such as war or terrorist attack. Force majeure clauses are meant to excuse a party provided the failure to perform could not be avoided by the exercise of due diligence and care.