MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

15 hours ago, Going Underground said:

In 1919 they played a 9 inning game in 51 minutes.   They had to rush the first game because it was a doubleheader and no lights.Also it was in September, so not as much daylight. 

Today a typical game will have more than 51 minutes in breaks between innings and pitching changes.  Then another two-plus hours of playing baseball.

Cue someone reminding us that baseball was always meant to be played at a languid and relaxed pace, and that the game has no clock and doesn't need one.

Any time you have no limitations someone will use that to their selfish advantage.  People will buy 88 packs of toilet paper, leaving none for anyone else.  Nine inning baseball games will last four hours because we have lights and people in Boston have nothing better to do.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Today a typical game will have more than 51 minutes in breaks between innings and pitching changes.  Then another two-plus hours of playing baseball.

Cue someone reminding us that baseball was always meant to be played at a languid and relaxed pace, and that the game has no clock and doesn't need one.

Any time you have no limitations someone will use that to their selfish advantage.  People will buy 88 packs of toilet paper, leaving none for anyone else.  Nine inning baseball games will last four hours because we have lights and people in Boston have nothing better to do.

They are limiting toilet paper in my store but people are bringing the whole family to get it separately. Don't think employees want to get into fistfights over enforcing restrictions. 

Read in an article today that the average American uses 100 rolls of toilet paper per year. Thats one roll per person every 3.5 days for the entire country. Thats ridiculous and makes sense why the public is in such a toilet paper panic. They use tons of it. 

13 hours ago, LA2 said:

Maybe he really meant "Heir Cuomo," as he spelled it, not "Herr"--since the former governor was his father.

Thank you for noticing.  I should have put in 'of' before Cuomo.

No one picked up on how the Petries were doing.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

This really makes no sense at all.  "They" want everyone to stay away from everyone else, and yet, last nite, restaurants were full, stores were full, people were all over the place.  No masks, nothing. 

My father thinks that stock market panic is a cover for Biden having a huge Super Tuesday rather than coronavirus.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Read in an article today that the average American uses 100 rolls of toilet paper per year. Thats one roll per person every 3.5 days for the entire country. Thats ridiculous and makes sense why the public is in such a toilet paper panic. They use tons of it. 

Reminds of my favorite quote from my senior drill sergeant in basic training after the company was apparently using too much toilet paper. She said, "I don't know what's going on, but you all must have some deep cracks or something!" 

Even the other typically stoic drill sergeants had to laugh at that one!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Careful there.

34 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

My father thinks that stock market panic is a cover for Biden having a huge Super Tuesday rather than coronavirus.

I wonder where he picked up that theory from ? ? 

The UK is trying something different, let the virus run it's course for now  and 2% of so will die from it either way. I guess we will see how that goes. 

The UK government case is that they are doing what they can to push the peak of infection in this country - as well as flatten that peak, meaning fewer cases at any one time, but over a longer period - until later in the summer, when there will be less pressure on hospital beds and intensive care units due to ordinary winter flu demands.

Therefore, there is a lot of focus on keeping the NHS - and its staff - operating as best it can in the most trying of circumstances.

he peak of coronavirus is expected to come in 10 to 14 weeks from now, between the middle of May and the middle of June. This is when the risk of infection will be highest, meaning blanket measures such as school closures, mass working from home and restrictions on public transport will be needed

Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, and Professor Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, say that imposing draconian social distancing measures like school closures now would lead to fatigue among the population, with people breaking out of quarantine right at the peak.

They also argue that allowing the virus to be suppressed, rather than eliminated, allows the population to build up “herd immunity”, which will prevent it taking a heavy toll next winter in a second wave.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I wonder where he picked up that theory from ? ? 

The UK is trying something different, let the virus run it's course for now  and 2% of so will die from it either way. I guess we will see how that goes. 

The UK government case is that they are doing what they can to push the peak of infection in this country - as well as flatten that peak, meaning fewer cases at any one time, but over a longer period - until later in the summer, when there will be less pressure on hospital beds and intensive care units due to ordinary winter flu demands.

Therefore, there is a lot of focus on keeping the NHS - and its staff - operating as best it can in the most trying of circumstances.

he peak of coronavirus is expected to come in 10 to 14 weeks from now, between the middle of May and the middle of June. This is when the risk of infection will be highest, meaning blanket measures such as school closures, mass working from home and restrictions on public transport will be needed

Sir Patrick Vallance, the chief scientific adviser, and Professor Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, say that imposing draconian social distancing measures like school closures now would lead to fatigue among the population, with people breaking out of quarantine right at the peak.

They also argue that allowing the virus to be suppressed, rather than eliminated, allows the population to build up “herd immunity”, which will prevent it taking a heavy toll next winter in a second wave.

Yeah I think two theories.  Just get it over with or stretch it out.  England is going get it over with. They aren’t trying to spread it out at all.  No matter what they are saying.