Hafner and Horse Poop

Fairfax Bird

If this leads to a rule change, it will (almost, kind of) be worth it.

Sorry that Bowie was denied their rightful chance at the brass ring.

Perhaps next year, in Norfolk (for most of them, anyway) will be the charm.

I hope the Orioles will strongly protest this.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tony, have you heard from any sources how MacPhail or anyone else in the O's front office feels about it? I guess we will find out when Hafner comes up to hit this week.

I've heard there are people in the organization not happy about this at all. Not much anyone can do about it, but everyone knows this was just a bush league thing to do.

I don't understand where this thread is going. Are we actually arguing at this point that Hafner didn't need rehab time?

If we are, you really think that it'd be worth any injury risk to Hafner for the Indians to have a hand-up in their AA playoffs?

And if we aren't, then what's the big deal? Where should Hafner rehab if the season is over in Buffalo?

I mean, sure, it stinks. Everyone here agrees about it. But the criticism seems a little exaggerated.

I don't understand where this thread is going. Are we actually arguing at this point that Hafner didn't need rehab time?

If we are, you really think that it'd be worth any injury risk to Hafner for the Indians to have a hand-up in their AA playoffs?

And if we aren't, then what's the big deal? Where should Hafner rehab if the season is over in Buffalo?

I mean, sure, it stinks. Everyone here agrees about it. But the criticism seems a little exaggerated.

Perhaps to you it does, but people around baseball know you don't pull this kind of crap. The rosters were expanded in the major leagues, the Indians are not in the playoff hunt, and Haffner already had a good amount of at bats.

There was no good reason not to send him back to the major league club besides the fact that the Indians were playing a petty little game in order to help one of their affiliates steal a series.

No one is exaggerating anything in my opinion. Most of us have said the same thing since the beginning and it's not like the Orioles are filing a protest to the commissioner's office over this.

They know like most people in baseball know this was a bush league thing to pull but there's nothing anyone can do about it except try to get the rules changed in the future to avoid these kinds of games.

Lastly, are you really complaining about a thread still going on by adding another post? ;)

For those advocating plunking Hafner during this Cleveland series...those kind of things can get out of hand pretty quickly. Drill Hafner, Cleveland retaliates...do you really want Markakis/Jones/Whoever to take one and maybe break a finger or a wrist, or even worse? Its just not worth it to me.

Perhaps to you it does, but people around baseball know you don't pull this kind of crap. The rosters were expanded in the major leagues, the Indians are not in the playoff hunt, and Haffner already had a good amount of at bats.

There was no good reason not to send him back to the major league club besides the fact that the Indians were playing a petty little game in order to help one of their affiliates steal a series.

No one is exaggerating anything in my opinion. Most of us have said the same thing since the beginning and it's not like the Orioles are filing a protest to the commissioner's office over this.

They know like most people in baseball know this was a bush league thing to pull but there's nothing anyone can do about it except try to get the rules changed in the future to avoid these kinds of games.

Lastly, are you really complaining about a thread still going on by adding another post? ;)

Not really Tony - the longer the thread, the better. From listening to Hafner's own language, though (and you know he'd rather be in with the Indians) he was having trouble making it through whole games and back-to-back games. Which is why I think he was still in the minors.

I guess, in the end, while I don't think it was an ideal situation, and while a better "sportsmen" would have likely found some other solution, it's not really in the interest of the Indians to go out of their way to find that other solution.

It's seems much more like one of those things that - while frustrating - can be chalked up to circumstance.

Carry on, though - I don't mean to imply that we shouldn't be allowed to be upset. I'm not - but that's just me.

I prefer to blame our own players (really, Wieters, a .133 BA? ;) ), of course. Because it's second nature at this point.

Not really Tony - the longer the thread, the better. From listening to Hafner's own language, though (and you know he'd rather be in with the Indians) he was having trouble making it through whole games and back-to-back games. Which is why I think he was still in the minors.

I guess, in the end, while I don't think it was an ideal situation, and while a better "sportsmen" would have likely found some other solution, it's not really in the interest of the Indians to go out of their way to find that other solution.

It's seems much more like one of those things that - while frustrating - can be chalked up to circumstance.

Carry on, though - I don't mean to imply that we shouldn't be allowed to be upset. I'm not - but that's just me.

I prefer to blame our own players (really, Wieters, a .133 BA? ;) ), of course. Because it's second nature at this point.

Yes, I thought it was bush league to allow Hafner to play, but yet I thought it would be a great opportunity for David to shine. Unfortunately David didn't has his best stuff and got stuffed!! I was hoping for the best, but it didn't happen. Yes, we didn't hit and we didn't pitch so it's easily could be said if we played our game and didn't let Hafner get to our(Bowie players) heads we should of won!! I know David was up to it but it just didn't happen. He will definitely get his chance, hopefully next year!! Hafner, watch out David won't forget!!:)

Yes, I thought it was bush league to allow Hafner to play, but yet I thought it would be a great opportunity for David to shine. Unfortunately David didn't has his best stuff and got stuffed!! I was hoping for the best, but it didn't happen. Yes, we didn't hit and we didn't pitch so it's easily could be said if we played our game and didn't let Hafner get to our(Bowie players) heads we should of won!! I know David was up to it but it just didn't happen. He will definitely get his chance, hopefully next year!! Hafner, watch out David won't forget!!:)

David has a lot to be proud of w/ regard to this year - and this end doesn't diminish that at all. Send him our congrats on a great season.

That's the bottom line.

Everything else just sounds like sore loser whining IMO. I understand the sentiment, but I can't say I agree with it. Certainly not to the point of rooting for pinstriped toddlers to prevail. :eek:

Well, to be fair, the OP was written BEFORE Hafner did anything in the series.

Today's BA chat on ESPN:

Jim Hamilton NJ: Ben how do you feel about Major league ball players being sent down to the minors for the sole purpose of winning a championship at A, AA or AAA? Should there\are there any rules that should prohibit this move?

Ben Badler: (3:17 PM ET ) I think it's within the rules, so technically it's kosher, but Bowie got hosed there after a great season. I would be all in favor of them changing that rule.

BTW, I don't really know who Ben Badler is, but I've yet to see something he's said that I didn't agree with. He seems to be really on things at BA.

I get the sense that he has his hands a lot deeper in the scouting side than some of the writers over there with more name recognition. Never spoken with him, though, so just taking a stab at it...:noidea:

Here is what Jim Callis of BA had to say. I agree wholeheartedly:

Hafner had been on a rehab assignment in Triple-A, but when the International League season ended, the Indians sent him to Akron to get some more work in. Hafner appeared in two games in the EL division series and hit crucial home runs in both. His grand slam provided the margin of victory in a 6-2 win in Game Three, and his two-run shot in the first inning sparked the Aeros to a 5-1 victory in the clinching Game Four.

The foremost purpose of minor league teams is not to win games or championships, but to prepare players for the major leagues. So on that level, the Indians' decision is understandable. However, Cleveland was out of the American League playoff race at the time, and cutting Hafner's tuneup two games short wouldn't have made a significant difference. The Indians should have shown more discretion and respected the integrity of the EL playoffs.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2008/266857.html

Archived