Boemmel: Pandemic and MiLB

weams

On 3/23/2020 at 2:16 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, 18 year olds out of High School don't need to make 30K for three months.  Guys in the GCL don't need to be full time competitive athletes.  How many of their peers are going to be making 30K/yr out of HS? 

I'm in favor of a reasonable floor once you hit full season ball.

30k /year is about $15/hr.   Very easy to exceed that waiting tables. 

I'd also argue an US Army E-1 probably makes about the same, when you factor in they don't have to pay for housing, medical and a substantial proprotion of food. 

9 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I'd also argue an US Army E-1 probably makes about the same, when you factor in they don't have to pay for housing, medical and a substantial proprotion of food. 

Yea, if you are working 40 hour weeks at 15 am hour.  How many of those jobs do you think are out there for kids out of HS?

Not sure that, as a vet, I'd consider military service as a comparable situation to playing short season baseball.  I'd also point out that only 29% of 18-24 year olds are fit to serve.

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yeah I was making over 10 dollars an hour as a busboy back in 1984.  Got tipped by the waiters. And 10 dollars an hour same year working at a warehouse over the summer with fully paid healthcare. I am sure that is well over 15 dollars an hour in todays pay.  

8 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah I was making over 10 dollars an hour as a busboy back in 1984.  Got tipped by the waiters. And 10 dollars an hour same year working at a warehouse over the summer with fully paid healthcare. I am sure that is well over 15 dollars an hour in todays pay.  

You were making the equivalent of $24.90+ busing tables?  (10.00 in 1984 is 24.90 in 2020)

That seems unlikely.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You were making the equivalent of $24.90+ busing tables?  (10.00 in 1984 is 24.90 in 2020)

That seems unlikely.

How is that unlikely. I worked at the busiest times.  Friday Night and Saturday Night is where you make the big bucks.  Waiters and Waitresses would each give me around 15 percent of their tips. I would have 5 to 7 waiters and waitresses.   People drink a lot so bills add up.  I also drank Long Island Ice teas out of coffee cups while working.  Pretty fun time. Wasted most of my money on Records though.  

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, if you are working 40 hour weeks at 15 am hour.  How many of those jobs do you think are out there for kids out of HS?

Not sure that, as a vet, I'd consider military service as a comparable situation to playing short season baseball.  I'd also point out that only 29% of 18-24 year olds are fit to serve.

For minor league baseball players, particularly younger ones, I'd imagine that number is substantially higher.  Like 80-90%.