This is not baseball. An opinion.

now

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just a reminder, this is not the place to talk the politics of this situation. I just had to delete a post and it has nothing to do with whether I agree or disagree with the post, but because it clearly crossed into politics. 

Unless a politician or famous person involved talks directly about baseball or makes a decision that affects the baseball season, please refrain from posts discussing them.

There are plenty of places around the web to discuss the politics of this situation, but this not one of them. You may discuss your personal feelings of this virus, but do not let it cross into the political side. 

Thanks for your understanding in these difficult times that has many of us on edge for various reasons. 

I have just deleted my own political post. I apologize for it, but had only written it in response to what I felt was an unfair accusation.

42 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

I know I want live baseball back, regardless of how many additional rules are in place.  

BTW, speaking of dumb rules...spitting is banned, but what about when they lick their fingers and then grip the ball?  That's ok?  Seems about as dumb as half the other rules that are out there for the general public.

All said, if the players do not agree to play, it won't matter if they have very valid reasons or not, the public opinion will be the players ruined the 2020 season and they will have a hard time earning the support of the fans back.  (especially for those of us who still support the name on the front of the jersey and could care less about the name on the back.)

Any Tampa Bay Ray who has to play the field should demand that Chaz Roe be tested between every half inning when he pitches.

He is a disgusting finger licker.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I have just deleted my own political post. I apologize for it, but had only written it in response to what I felt was an unfair accusation.

No worries, and thanks. By the time I saw the post I was surprised there wasn't already responses. Again, everyone is entitled to their political opinions but you just can't share them here. :D

The Hangout has always been about what brings us together (Orioles/baseball) and not what separates us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

I shared this scholarly, but accessible, article in support of one of Corn's posts in a different thread. It's non-political and worthwhile reading as an objective description of the relative transmission risk of various activities and situations:

Lucid intelligent presentation of case studies. Very helpful. I'm going to share it with friends--Thanks.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Any Tampa Bay Ray who has to play the field should demand that Chaz Roe be tested between every half inning when he pitches.

He is a disgusting finger licker.

Good Lord this is true. And it wasn't just a little quick lick, it was like a disgusting full tongue out slobber. I actually was thrilled when he left the Orioles, not because I thought he was an awful pitcher, but because I couldn't stand when the camera would be on him between pitches as he slobbered all over his fingers.

4 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

I shared this scholarly, but accessible, article in support of one of Corn's posts in a different thread. It's non-political and worthwhile reading as an objective description of the relative transmission risk of various activities and situations:

In order to not get political and to keep it on baseball, I'm going to delete this propaganda. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, now said:

It's the possibly "permanent" nature of such changes (as per Gates) that worries me.

I would offer that in the current situation we're all in, nothing is "non-political," since there is a pervasive political context in play, and virtually any presentation of information or opinion, however neutral or objective it tries to be, implies certain perspectives and omits others.  

In 2020 baseball has become political whether we like it or not. 

That being said, I agree with the mods' efforts to try to stay on the baseball side of that fine line in discussions here.

Agreed. Sorry I missed this. I didn't click on the link but when I saw the comments I did and sure enough, total and utter propaganda which makes it political. 

While the 2020 baseball season could be considered "political" overall by some, I don't think saying you want it open or you closed is political per se. People can have any opinion they like, but when you start discussion why and start bringing in politicians and or clear propaganda, that's when it turned political.

I think it's valid to discuss the restrictions the players/fans would be under and whether people agree with that or not. I don't believe that becomes political.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, George said:

Baseball was destroyed many years ago when batters were required to wear helmets. It's was a national disgrace when batters lost the freedom to feel the breeze of a high inside fastball. 

I always thought Base Ball was ruined when The New York Game won out over The Massachusetts Game and soaking the runners with the ball was outlawed.  Circa eighteen hundred and sixty.  Imagine a fine strapping athlete like Jonathan Schoop pelting a base-runner with a ninety mile an hour toss like a musket ball.  Exhilarating!  But maybe that's just me.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I always thought Base Ball was ruined when The New York Game won out over The Massachusetts Game and soaking the runners with the ball was outlawed.  Circa eighteen hundred and sixty.  Imagine a fine strapping athlete like Jonathan Schoop pelting a base-runner with a ninety mile an hour toss like a musket ball.  Exhilarating!  But maybe that's just me.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvRH2QJI0sBwQhqArtue8

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s not perfect, but it’s 1,000,000 times better than having no baseball.   And these conditions aren’t permanent.   So, go to it, I say!

No matter all the residual stuff they finally agree to, it will then boil down to batter vs. pitcher. The greatest war in sports. Bring it on!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, George said:

Baseball was destroyed many years ago when batters were required to wear helmets. It's was a national disgrace when batters lost the freedom to feel the breeze of a high inside fastball. 

Chin music, eh?

1340423226756_5820630.png

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Really?  I saw nothing political in that link.   It was all scientific, and a very educational read.

And -- I feel that it had some encouraging ideas about the potential for fans of an outdoor sport like us.   In the vast outdoors with outdoor air circulation, if you follow the science in the article, the transmission risk is not that bad, other than the people directly around you.   

Seemed like worse news for enclosed restaurants or workplaces where the air mostly remains in the room and a number of people staying in place for several hours.   But for ballparks, beaches, and things like that, it seems like it could be interpreted positively.

Just do what the Germans do.

96810729_1548158458678168_90195452728485