105.7 : Spencer

weams

• weams changed the title to 105.7 : Spencer
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If Detroit goes pitching with Lacy or Hancock it’s possible 

I guess so.  If they want to have Mize paired with Lacy/Hancock, it's hard to argue with.  Tork does seem to be the consensus #1 pick though.  I am curious when the last time there was a player previously thought to be the consensus #1 pick who didn't go first overall. 

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess so.  If they want to have Mize paired with Lacy/Hancock, it's hard to argue with.  Tork does seem to be the consensus #1 pick though.  I am curious when the last time there was a player previously thought to be the consensus #1 pick who didn't go first overall. 

2017: Royce Lewis, Twins
School: JSerra Catholic HS (San Juan Capistrano, Calif.)
Career WAR: N/A

Lewis was a surprise No. 1 pick to some talent evaluators, but he was the top-rated high school prospect in the 2017 Draft thanks to his premier athleticism both at the plate and at the shortstop position.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Also I read some mention of the possibility of an under slot maneuvering. So they may be interested in the guy that will give them the best deal. Obviously they are picking Tokelson, Martin, or Lacy

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Also I read some mention of the possibility of an under slot maneuvering. So they may be interested in the guy that will give them the best deal. Obviously they are picking Tokelson, Martin, or Lacy

According to both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo, it's not obvious at all.  Both feel that the possibility of an underslot deal, or at least a discounted one, is very much on the table. Callis said, "50/50..."  Players most often mentioned are Nick Gonzalez and Zac Veen.  I expect Martin, but those others are seemingly in play.

45 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

According to both Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo, it's not obvious at all.  Both feel that the possibility of an underslot deal, or at least a discounted one, is very much on the table. Callis said, "50/50..."  Players most often mentioned are Nick Gonzalez and Zac Veen.  I expect Martin, but those others are seemingly in play.

Looking at Veen’s tape and his scouting reports, I don’t see how he’s not in play. And I wonder, if he had a full season this year to prove himself, if he’d have been more of a consensus at 1 even due to the plus defensive value he adds. I think he’s really good and the more I read about him, the more I also like him for us at 2. 

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

Looking at Veen’s tape and his scouting reports, I don’t see how he’s not in play. And I wonder, if he had a full season this year to prove himself, if he’d have been more of a consensus at 1 even due to the plus defensive value he adds. I think he’s really good and the more I read about him, the more I also like him for us at 2. 

Veen needs to work on his name, maybe add ah H or a K.

7 minutes ago, joelala said:

I'd rather have a college player that will be ready in 2023 along with Rodriguez and Hall.   There is a lot more risk with a high school player and they take longer to be ready for the majors.  

Tork and Martin are probably overslot guys and will take a long time to sign is my guess.   Lacy probably is alright with slot.   Hancock and Gonzalez under slot guys.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Veen needs to work on his name, maybe add ah H or a K.

But definitely not a 'hary.'

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd rather have a college player that will be ready in 2023 along with Rodriguez and Hall.   There is a lot more risk with a high school player and they take longer to be ready for the majors.  

Tork and Martin are probably overslot guys and will take a long time to sign is my guess.   Lacy probably is alright with slot.   Hancock and Gonzalez under slot guys.

Yes perhaps, though each case is different, and it will depend on how fast Veen develops.  Some reports say he made strides from last year to this, so maybe he's quick.  Manny was only in the minors for two years before being 'ready.'

But bottom line for me if I'm a scout: If I think two or more players have the same liklihood of reaching their ceilings (however high they may be) I'm taking the one with the highest ceiling every time, regardless of how long it will take him to be ready.  Add in the fact that we can save money with Veen, and I'm liking him more every day. 

Ultimately I'll be excited about whoever we pick though, unless it's Hancock, whom I have reservations about due to his performance this season and the spin rate on his fastball.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Can you give me an example of a 1-1 that signed for overslot since the current iteration of slotting was put in place?

Also, no one takes a long time to sign anymore, the deadline is early July.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I know Torkelson is supposed to be all that ...But do we really want another Dh/1B type?

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I know Torkelson is supposed to be all that ...But do we really want another Dh/1B type?

I'm expecting Davis to be gone before Tork would get here and we have no idea what is going to happen with Mancini.  If the bat is as projected, yea, you'd want him as a 1B/DH (He might be adequate in Left).

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

In a perfect 'position player world' we would draft a SS, but Torkelson really is supposed to be that special... offensively and defensively.  So, yes, if he was surprisingly available, I think it's probable that Elias would take him.