2020 Round 4 (103): Coby Mayo - 3B - (HS)(Marjory Stoneman Douglas)

Excellent pick.  Love this swing, almost a little Jeff Bagwell-esque and he starts wide and actually strides backwards with the front foot a bit.  His raw tools are legit for a kid his age.  I like this one a lot.  They are saying he may not stick at 3rd, but with that cannon start him there as this is not a Mountcastle type situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sylvester said:

Baseball isn't like football.  Here are the last 10 #2 picks

Bobby Witt

Joey Bard

Hunter Greene

Nick Senzel

Alex Bregman

Tyler kolak

Kris Bryant

Bryon Buxton

Danny Hultzen

Jameson Taillon

Two legit starts in Bregman and Bryant.  Two so/so players in Buxton and Taillon.  And its early on the couple guys that were taken in past few years. Kolak and Hudson were busts.  

OK.   So I hope we aren't subjected to a season of idiocy on the board from people constantly hoping we lose games so we can get a really high pick.   As you correctly point out, it's just not worth all that much.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, justD said:

Needs to come get it at 3rd and play through those routine balls.  If he can get more aggressive and find some rhythm, that arm can play at 3rd no doubt.

PS: Worked for this company (Baseball Factory) for 5 five years; sketchy folks on the business side, but learned so much about scouting during my time there from the baseball folks.  It motivated me to start a charitable LLC down here in western NC to provide the same services without the huge costs.  Not that Mayo would have paid for anything from BF or PG.  BF and Perfect Game fly these elite guys in for free and use their names to scam good players (D3, D2, NAIA, etc) out of thousands.  I work with good and great players; the elite players don't need me or anyone else really.  I apologize for the rant; it just irks me when I see anything Baseball Factory or Perfect Game around.  On the whole, I don't think they are good for growing the game of baseball.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Needs to come get it at 3rd and play through those routine balls.  If he can get more aggressive and find some rhythm, that arm can play at 3rd no doubt.

PS: Worked for this company (Baseball Factory) for 5 five years; sketchy folks on the business side, but learned so much about scouting during my time there from the baseball folks.  It motivated me to start a charitable LLC down here in western NC to provide the same services without the huge costs.  Not that Mayo would have paid for anything from BF or PG.  BF and Perfect Game fly these elite guys in for free and use their names to scam good players (D3, D2, NAIA, etc) out of thousands.  I work with good and great players; the elite players don't need me or anyone else really.  I apologize for the rant; it just irks me when I see anything Baseball Factory or Perfect Game around.  On the whole, I don't think they are good for growing the game of baseball.

I think this tangent would be good separate thread.  I find this interesting.  Also, I think we used to have a prominent poster who works for Perfect Game.

Just now, backwardsk said:

I think this tangent would be good separate thread.  I find this interesting.  Also, I think we used to have a prominent poster who works for Perfect Game.

there are great baseball people that work at both those companies.  Guys I owe so much too, but I could speak for days about the corruption (at least I saw it that way) that I witnessed.  I almost went to blows with a few employees there about some ethical things I saw.  However, I was blessed to have the opportunity.

My favorite moment working there was when I drove up to the Carpenter Cup at UPenn and saw Mike Trout after his sophomore year.  He wasn't really on the radar yet even though he had an amazing sophomore season.  But no one was talking about him when I got there.  In his first at bat, he got a little fooled on a curve, but kept his hands back and crushed the ball off the right centerfield wall.  I looked up and he was standing on 3rd base.  He pitched in the game and I clocked him on the JUGS gun at 86mph.  I was there scouting for our Team One sister company (I think that company is now defunct) and I went home raving about the kid.  I talked to him and his dad for about 6 months about attending our Team One East Regional, but it just wouldn't coincide with their schedule.  Both Mike and his father were extremely nice, humble, and intelligent.  I think his dad said he played milb.  When we first started talking, no one really knew his name, but by the time that 6 months passed, we both knew he didn't need our help anymore.

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK.  I came home from that event (he was already hyped as a prospect) and told everyone in the office he was definitely going to be a superstar but I guaranteed he would never win a World Series on account of his POS attitude.  I stand by it today.

Another kid I got to work with was Nick Castellonos who was also a really cool kid at the time.  Really enthusiastic and polite. But to be honest, I enjoyed working with the small school prospects the most and trying to help them find a spot.  I used to get in trouble all the time for doing free services under the table for the less fortunate kids.  The marketing department would purposely skip over zipcodes that had demographics with lower household incomes.  It was BS.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

there are great baseball people that work at both those companies.  Guys I owe so much too, but I could speak for days about the corruption (at least I saw it that way) that I witnessed.  I almost went to blows with a few employees there about some ethical things I saw.  However, I was blessed to have the opportunity.

My favorite moment working there was when I drove up to the Carpenter Cup at UPenn and saw Mike Trout after his sophomore year.  He wasn't really on the radar yet even though he had an amazing sophomore season.  But no one was talking about him when I got there.  In his first at bat, he got a little fooled on a curve, but kept his hands back and crushed the ball off the right centerfield wall.  I looked up and he was standing on 3rd base.  He pitched in the game and I clocked him on the JUGS gun at 86mph.  I was there scouting for our Team One sister company (I think that company is now defunct) and I went home raving about the kid.  I talked to him and his dad for about 6 months about attending our Team One East Regional, but it just wouldn't coincide with their schedule.  Both Mike and his father were extremely nice, humble, and intelligent.  I think his dad said he played milb.  When we first started talking, no one really knew his name, but by the time that 6 months passed, we both knew he didn't need our help anymore.

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK.  I came home from that event (he was already hyped as a prospect) and told everyone in the office he was definitely going to be a superstar but I guaranteed he would never win a World Series on account of his POS attitude.  I stand by it today.

Another kid I got to work with was Nick Castellonos who was also a really cool kid at the time.  Really enthusiastic and polite. But to be honest, I enjoyed working with the small school prospects the most and trying to help them find a spot.  I used to get in trouble all the time for doing free services under the table for the less fortunate kids.  The marketing department would purposely skip over zipcodes that had demographics with lower household incomes.  It was BS.

This is great stuff.  Was it typically the parents who would be paying the bills and who you therefore had to sell?  Or would college kids be taking out loans to pay for these services?