2020 Round 4 (103): Coby Mayo - 3B - (HS)(Marjory Stoneman Douglas)

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

there are great baseball people that work at both those companies.  Guys I owe so much too, but I could speak for days about the corruption (at least I saw it that way) that I witnessed.  I almost went to blows with a few employees there about some ethical things I saw.  However, I was blessed to have the opportunity.

My favorite moment working there was when I drove up to the Carpenter Cup at UPenn and saw Mike Trout after his sophomore year.  He wasn't really on the radar yet even though he had an amazing sophomore season.  But no one was talking about him when I got there.  In his first at bat, he got a little fooled on a curve, but kept his hands back and crushed the ball off the right centerfield wall.  I looked up and he was standing on 3rd base.  He pitched in the game and I clocked him on the JUGS gun at 86mph.  I was there scouting for our Team One sister company (I think that company is now defunct) and I went home raving about the kid.  I talked to him and his dad for about 6 months about attending our Team One East Regional, but it just wouldn't coincide with their schedule.  Both Mike and his father were extremely nice, humble, and intelligent.  I think his dad said he played milb.  When we first started talking, no one really knew his name, but by the time that 6 months passed, we both knew he didn't need our help anymore.

On the flipside, I got to scout Bryce Harper out in Vegas as a freshman.  HUGE DICK.  I came home from that event (he was already hyped as a prospect) and told everyone in the office he was definitely going to be a superstar but I guaranteed he would never win a World Series on account of his POS attitude.  I stand by it today.

Another kid I got to work with was Nick Castellonos who was also a really cool kid at the time.  Really enthusiastic and polite. But to be honest, I enjoyed working with the small school prospects the most and trying to help them find a spot.  I used to get in trouble all the time for doing free services under the table for the less fortunate kids.  The marketing department would purposely skip over zipcodes that had demographics with lower household incomes.  It was BS.

I’m not sure what to make of you guaranteeing that Harper wouldn’t win a WS because of his attitude. Not sure that has anything to do with WS.

• Upvote 1

So, the slot amount for the #42 pick in the draft was 1.77M.  Theoretically,  any team who thought this kid was a 1st round talent would have just picked him which leads me to believe that most teams had him rated as a second round talent or lower. I'm not saying he's not a great pic. I'm just saying that calling him a 1st round talent is the company line.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, the slot amount for the #42 pick in the draft was 1.77M.  Theoretically,  any team who thought this kid was a 1st round talent would have just picked him which leads me to believe that most teams had him rated as a second round talent or lower. I'm not saying he's not a great pic. I'm just saying that calling him a 1st round talent is the company line.

No one cares dude.

After the top 10-12 picks all MLB teams value on players is completely different than other teams. The "big board" media outlets aren't true value either. The MLB draft even more so than any other sport is a complete crapshoot. So even if he did get the slot amount of a 1st rounder it wouldn't mean any more or less as to his chances hitting. He was still a steal and wouldn't be an Oriole if we wouldn't have went underslot early.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

No one cares dude.

After the top 10-12 picks all MLB teams value on players is completely different than other teams. The "big board" media outlets aren't true value either. The MLB draft even more so than any other sport is a complete crapshoot. So even if he did get the slot amount of a 1st rounder it wouldn't mean any more or less as to his chances hitting. He was still a steal and wouldn't be an Oriole if we wouldn't have went underslot early.

Ok, dude. He was a steal based on the Orioles perspective.  Lets be clear about that, dude!  It's possible that no other team considered him a steal. Under your definition of a "steal"  there are probably 29 other teams claiming they got steals in this draft. So there, dude.  Also, I don't carw how stupid you sound dude. I'm still willing to hear you out.  Cool!

11 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Don’t worry.  We’ll have more top 5 picks in the coming years.

And getting 4 top-5 calibre prospects when you could have had 5 for no other reason than to turn your 5th and 4th rounders into (essentially) late second to early third rounders is universally a reallllly bad tactic.

I actually really like this pick! Everything about him suggests that he doesn't have the mental or reflexive flaws in his game like Kjerstad, for example, does. Don't get me wrong, but if he wasn't an overslot, where would he go in the draft? Would he go in round #1? Would he go early round #2? I guess my question is would you rather have Mayo/Baumler/Kjerstad or Martin and two slot/underslot prospects with similar strengths? 

Edited by MountUrCastle

11 hours ago, sylvester said:

Baseball isn't like football.  Here are the last 10 #2 picks

Bobby Witt

Joey Bard

Hunter Greene

Nick Senzel

Alex Bregman

Tyler kolak

Kris Bryant

Bryon Buxton

Danny Hultzen

Jameson Taillon

Two legit starts in Bregman and Bryant.  Two so/so players in Buxton and Taillon.  And its early on the couple guys that were taken in past few years. Kolak and Hudson were busts.  

What has come out of the last 10 #103 picks? You do notice that the top players from that 10 year sample are infield players and the worst tend to be pitchers?

(also, is it just me or is Joey Bard a ghost on google.)

13 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

I guess my question is would you rather have Mayo/Baumler/Kjerstad or Martin and two slot/underslot prospects with similar strengths? 

Our front office made their decision about which they prefer.  It seems like a reasonable gamble on the face of it - especially since two other teams passed on Martin - didn't have as high a rating on him.

It takes an interesting confluence of events to pull off what the Os did.  For the entire industry to have the ninth/tenth overall rating on Kjerstad and have a team like the Os value him so high.  And to have some top 50-60 talents deemed unsignable, but willing to sign.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I’m not sure what to make of you guaranteeing that Harper wouldn’t win a WS because of his attitude. Not sure that has anything to do with WS.

In the same way Barry Bonds never won a WS.  He is a cancer.  He just won't allow the relationships to grow on a team  No trust and bad vibes will prevent a team from truly gelling and winning when the going gets tough.

I brought this up a few years ago during a similar convo.  I worked with a guy who played with Bonds at AZ State.  https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman%2F060504

This story is very accurate to what I was told about Bonds.  Bonds never won a WS and if you remember the 2002 WS, it was (in my opinion) Bonds' POS attitude that brought the team down and didn't allow them to win the big game. 

As far as Harper, remember when he won the HR Derby a few years back?  It was so obvious that he was in love with himself during that display that it was sickening.  He leaves the Nats, they immediately win the series.  One more Harper memory:

I wasn't at this showcase, but a few of my colleagues at the time were.  They were down in Tampa Bay doing a showcase/home run derby.  All the prospects were lined up on the foul line and my co-worker is going to each player with a camera asking them to state their name, school, and position. "I'm so and so, from such and such high school, Outfield."  She gets to Harper, he stares right at her and says "You know who I am."  This was a 16 year old kid talking to an adult in her late 20's at the time.  She looks at him and says, "ok? but we need this shot."  She had to go get help from one of the scouts just to get him to say a simple flipping sentence. 

I'll state it again, he'll never win a WS on account of he can't get out of the way of his own ego.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

In the same way Barry Bonds never won a WS.  He is a cancer.  He just won't allow the relationships to grow on a team  No trust and bad vibes will prevent a team from truly gelling and winning when the going gets tough.

I brought this up a few years ago during a similar convo.  I worked with a guy who played with Bonds at AZ State.  https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=pearlman%2F060504

This story is very accurate to what I was told about Bonds.  Bonds never won a WS and if you remember the 2002 WS, it was (in my opinion) Bonds' POS attitude that brought the team down and didn't allow them to win the big game. 

As far as Harper, remember when he won the HR Derby a few years back?  It was so obvious that he was in love with himself during that display that it was sickening.  He leaves the Nats, they immediately win the series.  One more Harper memory:

I wasn't at this showcase, but a few of my colleagues at the time were.  They were down in Tampa Bay doing a showcase/home run derby.  All the prospects were lined up on the foul line and my co-worker is going to each player with a camera asking them to state their name, school, and position. "I'm so and so, from such and such high school, Outfield."  She gets to Harper, he stares right at her and says "You know who I am."  This was a 16 year old kid talking to an adult in her late 20's at the time.  She looks at him and says, "ok? but we need this shot."  She had to go get help from one of the scouts just to get him to say a simple flipping sentence. 

I'll state it again, he'll never win a WS on account of he can't get out of the way of his own ego.

I don't disagree that Bonds and Harper are jerks...but baseball isn't like football or basketball where a quarterback or running back or power forward can take over a game and carry a weaker team.

Bonds was incredible in 2002.

Bonds’s ravaging run through the 2002 postseason was mesmerizing. Through 10 games in the first two playoff rounds, Bonds homered four times and walked 14 more; he carried a .286/.500/.786 playoff line into the World Series.

The 2002 World Series was just another forum to cement his dominance. Bonds mashed three home runs in the first three games, and yet somehow his team was down 2-1. But then three intentional walks in a victorious Game Four and three hits including two doubles in Game Five saw him and his Giants just a win away from a championship.

By the time Game Six rolled around, Bonds had racked up a 2.144 OPS in 22 plate appearances, a mark surpassed only by Lou Gehrig’s 1928 series, a 2.433 OPS headlined by four home runs in four games (17 PA).

Bonds ended the World Series quietly by his standards — 1-for-3, a walk and the loss in Game Seven by a 4-1 score. Still, Bonds finished with a 1.994 OPS in the series, the fifth-best mark ever and the best ever with at least 20 plate appearances (second being Reggie Jackson’s 1977 series, including his three-homer Game Six).

But Troy Glaus had a 1.313 OPS of his own and was backed up by a 1.067 mark from Tim Salmon. Scott Spiezio did his crazy clutch thing and went 6-for-23 with three extra-base hits in the series. Francisco Rodriguez was stellar outside of his hiccup against Bonds in Game Six, throwing 8.2 innings with 13 strikeouts and just two runs allowed, and that was enough to bring down the mighty Bonds and his Giants.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/barry-bonds-and-the-2002-world-series/

I mean, it was a historic World Series, one of the best performances ever.  It's not like he got there and choked.

Despite baseball not being set up like football and basketball where one or two players can transform a game, Bonds was as close as you could get to that in 2002.  IIRC, he was responsible for an incredibly large percentage of the Giants runs, I think it was some sort of record, but I can't find it.  You can say the Giants didn't win the World Series because of Bonds...maybe that's true.  But what's definitely true is that the Giants don't sniff the World Series WITHOUT Bonds.  

I understand your want for good, hard nosed ballplayers that are "yes sir, no sir,"  take coaching well, work hard and come back for more work each day with a smile on their face and don't grumble about anything.  We all want those types.  

But to say Bonds didn't win a WS or Harper won't win a WS cause they're jerks is a pretty shortsighted statement.  I mean Reggie Jackson was a jerk, he won quite a few World Series championships.  Pretty sure his teammates in NY hated him, too.  There have been several egotistical jerks that have won a World Series before.  

• Upvote 1