60 man roster & taxi squad

bpilktree

So each team will have a 60 man roster to choose from based on reports.  So how do you think they will use this in the organization.  Do we put guys on that we think will have to be used in games meaning older guys but with major league experience. Or Do they go with younger guys that are prospects to get the chance to work with them and not lose an entire year of instruction?  Guys like Hall, Rodriguez Adley, and other prospects that really are not ready to play in the majors. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

So each team will have a 60 man roster to choose from based on reports.  So how do you think they will use this in the organization.  Do we put guys on that we think will have to be used in games meaning older guys but with major league experience. Or Do they go with younger guys that are prospects to get the chance to work with them and not lose an entire year of instruction?  Guys like Hall, Rodriguez Adley, and other prospects that really are not ready to play in the majors. 

Going to depend on the service time issue.  I don't see them putting the guys you mention on the roster if it means they will start their service clock.  Elias seems overly concerned about team control.

I expect a lot of AAA older players and a bunch of AAAA guys to be added. They will probably be contacting guys from the independent leagues that can be discarded. Who knows maybe they find a diamond in the rough.

Are they going to have an instructional league for the developmental guys to prevent the loss of a whole year?

The real quiz, then, is who is our “extra 20”? Can we guess?

Pitchers: Eshelman, Leblanc, Milone, Kline, Brady Rogers, Cervenka, Blach, Hanhold, Valdez, Jannis   (Alvarado, Jimenez, Mattson, Shepherd, Zastryzny, Diplan also crossed my mind)

Hitters: Valaika, Rondon, Wilkerson, Davis, Urena, Williams, Valentin, Herrera, Holaday... McCoy?  (Also Diaz and Bannon as considerations)

Which four do we add to our 26-man roster? Guessing Milone, Leblanc, Williams, Valaika.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going to depend on the service time issue.  I don't see them putting the guys you mention on the roster if it means they will start their service clock.  Elias seems overly concerned about team control.

I’m not sure we really have any evidence that’s the case. Mountcastle maybe but it was the end of the year when he didn’t come up and it makes sense to not bring him into a losing culture in a lost season.

Just now, survivedc said:

I’m not sure we really have any evidence that’s the case. Mountcastle maybe but it was the end of the year when he didn’t come up and it makes sense to not bring him into a losing culture in a lost season.

Maybe?

He could have benefited from being called up last year and everything sounded like he was going to start the year in the minors this year.

If you are worried about a RH LF/1B type than in my opinion you are overly concerned about it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe?

He could have benefited from being called up last year and everything sounded like he was going to start the year in the minors this year.

If you are worried about a RH LF/1B type than in my opinion you are overly concerned about it.

I just don’t think it’s much to go off of. Maybe, maybe not. Concerned but not overly concerned.

I’d like to see Kremer, Zimmerman, Aiken, Mountcastle, Bannon, Diaz and McKenna. Interesting group of young guys that all have ML potential and I think could be serviceable right now.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don’t think they would use service time unless they play games on the roster.  I am also not sure if they would use an option if they are put on there if they need to move to 40 man with injury.  I guess those details will come out soon which can help with the decision.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I recall correctly they said that if you play the whole season it counts as a full year.  No idea if that has changed, it's been months.

Wonder how they will work partial years. Say if a player only plays 10 games, how does that count?