60 man roster & taxi squad

bpilktree

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Why?   

As I mentioned, I expect the Orioles to play the service time game with guys that it matters. I expect the Orioles to go with a lot of 25-29 year old AAAA type players even if they need to sign some. They have 20 slots available and there is no sense to waste service time on a shortened losing season.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

As I mentioned, I expect the Orioles to play the service time game with guys that it matters. I expect the Orioles to go with a lot of 25-29 year old AAAA type players even if they need to sign some. They have 20 slots available and there is no sense to waste service time on a shortened losing season.

Yes, but being on the taxi squad won't accrue service time.   Only the subset of guys on the taxi squad that actually get promoted to the ML roster due to injury would accrue any service time.   Maybe 10 of those guys tops.   That still leaves 20 spots where you can put a Rutschman or GRod or Hall and get to see them playing intrasquad games under team control in Bowie or Aberdeen.   I see no reason the O's won't do this like any other team would.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

Yes, but being on the taxi squad won't accrue service time.   Only the subset of guys on the taxi squad that actually get promoted to the ML roster due to injury would accrue any service time.   Maybe 10 of those guys tops.   That still leaves 20 spots where you can put a Rutschman or GRod or Hall and get to see them playing intrasquad games under team control in Bowie or Aberdeen.   I see no reason the O's won't do this like any other team would.

Seriously? The Orioles will use 10 minimums taxiing pitchers back and forth.

I am guessing we might start hearing the names that will be on the list starting tomorrow as they notify the players in the next 24 hours.  I wonder if they will have a group announcement or if we slowly hear the names leaked over next couple days.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:45 PM, Roll Tide said:

Seriously? The Orioles will use 10 minimums taxiing pitchers back and forth.

It’s a 60 game season with expanded rosters at the start. Some of these vet pitchers that make the team could be released in September. You aren’t trying to get through a normal season here. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s a 60 game season with expanded rosters at the start. Some of these vet pitchers that make the team could be released in September. You aren’t trying to get through a normal season here. 

Whenever the cut off date for the extra year of service is, I would hope to see some stopgaps disappear and the upper level prospects appear.  

1 minute ago, VaBird1 said:

Whenever the cut off date for the extra year of service is, I would hope to see some stopgaps disappear and the upper level prospects appear.  

Has anyone figured out the service time numbers yet? As an example the Orioles optioned Mountcastle to the minors on March 19. The sport was already shut down by then.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, SteveA said:

If the point of taxi squad is playing time for developing players, how do they get playing time without accruing service time?

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If the point of taxi squad is playing time for developing players, how do they get playing time without accruing service time?

They aren’t on the active roster. You don’t even have to be on the 40 man to be on the taxi squad.  

Th playing time is basically just intrasquad games not real games. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

They can be on the 30-34 man squad and never be called up. I’m quite sure the Orioles will know what/if there is a cutoff and work under its rule. 

So normally there is 162 games and 183 service days per season. The players needs 172 service days on the roster to have the season count.

So I’m guessing that the player will need to be on the active portion of the roster 95% of the 66 day season to be equivalent. That would account for 63 days....but who knows?

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They aren’t on the active roster. You don’t even have to be on the 40 man to be on the taxi squad.  

Th playing time is basically just intrasquad games not real games. 

Yeah they are working out in Bowie or Aberdeen under the auspices of our minor league staff, playing intrasquad games, etc.  The rest of our minor leaguers are home, on their own, hopefully adhering to their assigned workout plan but basically on their own.  Maybe going all summer without seeing a single 95 mph fastball or professional caliber slider, or having their delivery monitored by state of the art equipment.  Huge difference.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yeah they are working out in Bowie or Aberdeen under the auspices of our minor league staff, playing intrasquad games, etc.  The rest of our minor leaguers are home, on their own, hopefully adhering to their assigned workout plan but basically on their own.  Maybe going all summer without seeing a single 95 mph fastball or professional caliber slider, or having their delivery monitored by state of the art equipment.  Huge difference.

Who knows what is or isn’t possible but it would make some sense for the Orioles to play the Nats MiL in competition. Once again not saying this is even remotely possible.