Britt: The Crash of 2015

weams

17 minutes ago, murph said:

Frobby noted it in another post that Davis spent a decent amount of time in RF and had an .843 OPS while out there.  And those same players tended to hit better when playing RF but not when playing LF (skewing the RF numbers higher with that split). 

If they'd resigned Markakis they'd have gotten about a .750 OPS out of right, just as they did.  And LF would have been covered by Pearce, David Lough, De Aza, Delmon, etc.  And the results would have been pretty much the same.  Except maybe they don't trade Zach Davies for arguably the worst 55 games of Gerardo Parra's 11-year career.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, murph said:

Frobby noted it in another post that Davis spent a decent amount of time in RF and had an .843 OPS while out there.  And those same players tended to hit better when playing RF but not when playing LF (skewing the RF numbers higher with that split). 

I forgot about Davis playing out there towards the latter part of the season.  When I think of Davis in right I more so think of 2012 when he inexplicably had a case of the yips and had trouble catching the ball at 1st, only time in his career I can recall that being the case.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Frobby said:

I’m as big a Markakis fan as anyone on this board, but I understand why they felt 4/$44 mm was too big a risk for a guy about to have surgery for a herniated disc. As it turns out, Nick recovered well and (per Fangraphs) produced $45.9 mm in value for his $44 mm.     Basically, a break even deal.   I would have liked to have his steady presence in the lineup those four years.    But, hindsight is 20/20.   

So ultimately a high risk and low reward deal. $1.9m surplus is pretty low reward.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• He had an .876 OPS last year. I don’t know why he’d exercise the option. I’d certainly pay him 1/10ish
    • The hurdle for getting these guys is they value the west coast highly. I’m not saying that’s a factor in posted players. But, there is impact on the free agent types.
    • Grichuk would be a perfect complement to Os roster as RHH OF with good platoon splits, however he has mutual option for $6M next year (after making only $1.5M this season). Do you see him or DBacks not picking that up?
    • I’d hope David is a little more secure financially. It’s not like he has to support his wife’s country music career with 0 outside income. 
    • thus the need for a gap to gap hitter
    • Grichuk really bounced back last year. He would be great as RH OF/DH to play against LHP. Really need to find a bat like that because we’re so lefty dominant. Losing Santander will only add to that. 
    • I think that was very true for a lot of years. Too many, really. But I feel like things might have changed this year with the fanbase, as I think the last three and a half months really ripped the shine off of just about everyone and everything associated with the Orioles. I think the attendance at these playoff games and the intensity of the crowd (just based on what I saw on TV and comparing it to 2012 and 2014) reflected how fans felt about the product this year. Even the tone of this board feels different, and I am glad to see it. I don't think people are celebrating regular season win totals like they did in the past, or thinking not being swept in the regular season was ever cool when they got ousted in 3 by Texas when it counted, or having blind faith in Elias. If anything, I think the patience with Elias, Hyde, the coaches, and the players has finally run thin. Hopefully there are no more age excuses for Holliday when we have seen what the other young Jacksons in the majors look like, or Adley when we have seen what a much older and bigger Sal Perez is capable of, or any of our hitters who all came up so small in big moments. And after seeing how active Kansas City was last offseason even on the heels of a 106 loss team, there should be absolutely no excuses centered on small market or budgets. There will be injuries in 2025 like there are every year, but the players who are on the field and healthy need to step up.
  • Popular Contributors