9/4 Player Pool - Lowther added

MurphDogg

30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

With Urias joining, only Ryan McKenna is on the 40-man roster and not the player pool. 

Kremer was added on the 15th, that was not mentioned yet in this thread.

Glad to see Diaz and Hall working out with team staff.

Now at 56 players, and I would expect Taylor Davis to be cut once Holladay and/or Wynns is demoted to the Bowie camp, as it seems unlikely that the Bowie camp requires 3 and certainly not 4 roster catchers. 

I think Diaz and Kremer were the last two players (plus maybe Urias) with any possible chance of getting into a game for the Orioles in 2020 yet to join, and it would likely take multiple injuries and/or illnesses for that to happen.

The last several spots could go to guys like Kjerstad, Grayson Rodriguez, Adam Hall, and Jordan Westburg who, like DL Hall and Rutschman, have no chance of actually playing for the 2020 Orioles.

If Diaz does well during workouts at the alternate site, I see no reason to not give him at bats this season.  Same with Kremer getting starts - give them a taste of MLB.  I'm sure if they need to, they'll manipulate the service time issues accordingly to make it worthwhile.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

You really think they will have 3 catchers plus a taxi squad catcher? Maybe with the 30-man roster, but it seems pointless once it drops to 28 and actively harmful to carry a third catcher over an extra reliever with a 26-man roster, considering how few off-days there are this season and how taxed I expect the bullpen to be with the Orioles rotation.

My guess is that Elias keeps two catchers on the major league team. One on the Taxi Squad and two at Bowie. So no one gets released.  But I do think that Wynns could be DFA'd to get him off the 40 man roster at some point but then they will try to re-sign him to a minor league contract.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, Yardball85 said:

If Diaz does well during workouts at the alternate site, I see no reason to not give him at bats this season.  Same with Kremer getting starts - give them a taste of MLB.  I'm sure if they need to, they'll manipulate the service time issues accordingly to make it worthwhile.

I just don’t think Diaz is ready! I think he belongs on the 60 man to get his work in. But, he was demoted from AA where his stats weren’t awful but he certainly didn’t command that level. IMO he needed/needs to prove he can dominate AA or AAA.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I just don’t think Diaz is ready! I think he belongs on the 60 man to get his work in. But, he was demoted from AA where his stats weren’t awful but he certainly didn’t command that level. IMO he needed/needs to prove he can dominate AA or AAA.

Even if he faces a steep learning curve do you think any damage will be done to his development if he plays this year?  Playing in the majors would have to be better than not playing at all right?  Not like it makes a difference if his struggles hurts the team's chances at winning.

Also, what do you mean he was demoted?  How come I don't remember him being demoted?  Are you sure it wasn't an injury rehab thing?

• Upvote 1

It’s too bad we never let Manny dominate AA or AAA. He might have turned into a good player.

Diaz was well above average last year at AA (135 wRC+). I bet his numbers probably would have been better in AAA with the super balls. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, makoman said:

It’s too bad we never let Manny dominate AA or AAA. He might have turned into a good player.

Diaz was well above average last year at AA (135 wRC+). I bet his numbers probably would have been better in AAA with the super balls. 

Nick Markakis, to this day, has never had even one hit in AAA.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, makoman said:

Plus, Diaz is the kind of guy who needs to be motivated by the big stage. He just plays better with the bright lights on and can lose interest in the grind to get there at times. I would not be against seeing him get some PAs this year but I'd like to see the Orioles give a Stewart time first. 

After we have all watched Elias' method of developing Mountcastle with slowly making his way through the minors,  I find it hard to believe that Diaz will see the majors this season unless there are so many injuries and sickness to his teammates that the O's are forced to promote him.

In the future I think Diaz has a better chance of sticking with the O's as an everyday outfielder than Mountcastle does.   Mountcastle future is probably 1B?DH.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

After we have all watched Elias' method of developing Mountcastle with slowly making his way through the minors,  I find it hard to believe that Diaz will see the majors this season unless there are so many injuries and sickness to his teammates that the O's are forced to promote him.

In the future I think Diaz has a better chance of sticking with the O's as an everyday outfielder than Mountcastle does.   Mountcastle future is probably 1B?DH.

If there is a season in which you are going to deviate from your normal course of action it should be this one. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If there is a season in which you are going to deviate from your normal course of action it should be this one. 

Elias is a big picture guy.   He is about adding talent and developing players.  His focus on putting together a group of players for 2023.   That is why he pays attention to service time.    In that context there is no reason for him to start Diaz clock this season.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias is a big picture guy.   He is about adding talent and developing players.  His focus on putting together a group of players for 2023.   That is why he pays attention to service time.    In that context there is no reason for him to start Diaz clock this season.

But isn't it big picture to consider how much more development a player will have? 

No one wants to pay arb four prices for a 31 year old.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But isn't it big picture to consider how much more development a player will have? 

No one wants to pay arb four prices for a 31 year old.

Development is important. That is why Diaz will develop at Bowie this season.

Diaz is 23.  In 5 years he will be 28.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its as relevant as your reference to age 31.

I guess you went as good at math as I have you credit for.  

2020 wasted year.  23

2021 full "development" year in AAA.  24

2022 gamed service time year 25 

2024  year 2- 26

2025 year 3-  27

2026  year 4- 28

2027 year 5 - 29

2028 year 6- 30

2029 year 7- 31

That's the plan you want to follow right?