How long will DJ Stewart be able to hold off Ryan Mountcastle?

wildcard

19 minutes ago, oriole said:

Maybe a DH role is his future but he looks clumsy as hell in the OF.

I am deferring to the scouts that say he isn't a butcher out there over the limited views of my own eyes and the memory of the ball hitting him in the head after he slipped. I do agree that he doesn't LOOK like he should be a decent defensive outfielder, but we aren't selling jeans here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Santander plays left and Stewart plays right Mountcastle will never play the outfield.   Mountcastle's arm is not good enough to play right and he is not good enough to move Santander out of left. 

So Mountcastle better hope that Stewart is starting the season in left field.

I don’t think Mountcastle’s playing time will be dictated by Stewart one bit. This is same franchise who gave Dwight Smith a chance over Stewart last year.  

I wanted to see Stewart play last year so this isn’t me being down on him. 

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think Mountcastle’s playing time will be dictated by Stewart one bit. This is same franchise who gave Dwight Smith a chance over Stewart last year.  

I wanted to see Stewart play last year so this isn’t me being down on him. 

I kind of understood it at the beginning of last year, Smith had a good pedigree as well and hadn't ever gotten a chance at the MLB level, and Stewart hadn't shown much in AAA in 2018, but by June 1 and certainly mid-July it was clear that Stewart was the better option.

If Stewart hadn't gotten hurt on June 5th, I doubt the Dwight Smith experience would have lasted as long as it did.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I kind of understood it at the beginning of last year, Smith had a good pedigree as well and hadn't ever gotten a chance at the MLB level, and Stewart hadn't shown much in AAA in 2018, but by June 1 and certainly mid-July it was clear that Stewart was the better option.

If Stewart hadn't gotten hurt on June 5th, the Dwight Smith experience wouldn't have lasted as long as it did.

You make some good points. I preferred Stewart so there was some bias in my comment.

My overall point remains though. DJ has nothing to do with Ryan. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

And Kjerstad a year or two after that. Too bad we don't have an opening at first base.

Even if Davis is terrible again this year, the Coronavirus situation probably bought him another year to be penciled in in hopes of a bounceback.

Considering we barely have to pay him anything this year (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), I def expect him to be here next year. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Santander plays left and Stewart plays right Mountcastle will never play the outfield.   Mountcastle's arm is not good enough to play right and he is not good enough to move Santander out of left. 

I see no logic in this statement.    Whatever is happenign before Mountcastle comes up, they will put Mountcastle in left when he does come up.   Hyde has pretty much said that is his primary position.

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I doubt Stewart hits enough to be a full-time DH.  If he doesn’t provide some defensive value, he’s probably not a major leaguer. 

I agree. I don’t think he’ll hit particularly well nor do I believe his defense will be worth keeping his bat in the lineup. I’d love to be wrong though 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

Santander didn’t hit in Triple A last year and struggled the last month and half of the season.  Nothing about his career tells me his is a major league player.  

Just to Wildcard's OP, I don't think DJ Stewart has anything to do with RM. Ryan has to go "down" and get used to LF. He obviously isn't ML ready yet. Yes there is the service time issue that plays into it for sure, admitted by the team or not... But I think Hyder and Elias et al just don't think Mountcastle is ready to be a ML LFer. Sure he will probably hit, enough to be a good DH even. But Brandon said yesterday or so, he doesn't want to bring anybody up just to DH. Implying he doesn't want to label someone as "only" a DH.

So I think... (I think :new_wave: ) Dj is the default 3rd OFer, with Santander also back. I also think that DSJ will be back in a day or two. He was likely quarantined just like Anthony ("Tony") and will be back very soon. Whether Smith or Santander can get ready for the season so quick is anyone's guess, but they're apparently what we have. Plus Stevie and Valaika and the other ute guy. Fill in where necessary. Hell, we could see CD back in the OF, who knows? The only thing that seems certain to me is Mountcastle is down, off the 30, and needs reps yet to prove he's ready.

Did you say "ute"?

9 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles have spoiled us over the years, guys with cannons and when we get less than that, its a let down, and the last couple of years has been that.

It wasn't just Nick's arm... He played those balls SO WELL off the scoreboard. He barehanded that one in the video. He was just so lightning quick to come up throwing, and had a good enough arm to make a good accurate throw. He had that play wired!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Santander didn’t hit in Triple A last year and struggled the last month and half of the season.  Nothing about his career tells me his is a major league player.  

C'mon man, we all have access to the same stats. Stop making things up.

His season OPS peaked after game 1 of a doubleheader on September 3rd. He struggled his last 16 games of the season, from September 3rd to September 23rd. Not a month and a half.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

If Stewart hadn't gotten hurt on June 5th, I doubt the Dwight Smith experience would have lasted as long as it did.

But are you

Experienced?

Well I am....

I'd post the vid here but the Jimi Hendrix estate are greedy bastards that pull down all his videos off youboob...

• Upvote 2