Question about roster procedures

HowAboutThat

So we have a 30-man roster, and a 60-man pool(?)

if we want to move a player, whether by sending him down or DFA, are we able to bring up anyone in the 60-man pool?

and Hess has options so we could send him down easily right? And Carroll does as well, but Lakin does not?

im sure that has been discussed a lot but I missed it, if someone could share that thread I’d be much obliged.

or just explain it quick here, Cliff’s Notes style.

Fangraphs Roster Resource is the best site for keeping track of who has options remaining and when minor leaguers need to be added to the 40-man roster to avoid Rule 5 eligibility. 

Every Orioles pitcher on the roster has options remaining except for Shawn Armstrong, Miguel Castro and Wojo. Cobb, Leblanc and Milone cant be optioned because they have 5+ years of service time.

In order to bring a player up from the 60-man pool he must also be on the 40-man roster. If he isn't, then a spot must be cleared for him.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Fangraphs Roster Resource is the best site for keeping track of who has options remaining and when minor leaguers need to be added to the 40-man roster to avoid Rule 5 eligibility. 

Every Orioles pitcher on the roster has options remaining except for Shawn Armstrong, Miguel Castro and Wojo. Cobb, Leblanc and Milone cant be optioned because they have 5+ years of service time.

In order to bring a player up from the 60-man pool he must also be on the 40-man roster. If he isn't, then a spot must be cleared for him.

So the 60 man pool isn’t really any different than the regular 60 man roster? If they want to add a guy to the 30-man(which I understand will be shrinking over time to the final 26)from the pool, they have to make room for him on the 40 man, Which means somebody need to go down or go away. Thank you very much.We’ve got to get rid of four guys in I think a week?

I’ve got my suggestions already, ha ha

The 60 man pool is just a simulation of your minor league system in a year where there is no minor leagues.  So all the rules about promoting a guy from the minors or demoting a guy to the minors apply.  A guy on the MLB 30/28/26 man roster can be sent to Bowie only if he has options, otherwise he has to pass through waivers.  You can bring a guy who is on the 60 up but if he's not on the 40 you have to make room, etc.

The spring training tracker at the top of the board lists options remaining for all guys on the 40 as of the start of the year.  If it doesn't list anything about options on the line with the players' name, then he has no options.

• Thanks 1

The roster size drops to 28 two weeks into the season, which is August 6/7 (unclear which day, I haven't seen an announcement  but for the Orioles purposes it is irrelevant because they are off on the 6th.

Two weeks later the roster size drops to 26. That is either the 20th or 21st. 

Means is still on track to come off the IL and make a start on July 30th so a move will need to be made (Hess?).

Mountcastle will be eligible to be added on July 29th while preserving the extra season of control, so I imagine he will be up before the other moves are made on August 7th.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

The 60 man pool is just a simulation of your minor league system in a year where there is no minor leagues.  So all the rules about promoting a guy from the minors or demoting a guy to the minors apply.  A guy on the MLB 30/28/26 man roster can be sent to Bowie only if he has options, otherwise he has to pass through waivers.  You can bring a guy who is on the 60 up but if he's not on the 40 you have to make room, etc.

The spring training tracker at the top of the board lists options remaining for all guys on the 40 as of the start of the year.  If it doesn't list anything about options on the line with the players' name, then he has no options.

So sending a guy down even in this wacky season will use up an option? Or did they work out Some kind of agreement otherwise?

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The roster size drops to 28 two weeks into the season, which is August 6/7 (unclear which day, I haven't seen an announcement  but for the Orioles purposes it is irrelevant because they are off on the 6th.

Two weeks later the roster size drops to 26. That is either the 20th or 21st. 

Means is still on track to come off the IL and make a start on July 30th so a move will need to be made (Hess?).

Mountcastle will be eligible to be added on July 29th while preserving the extra season of control, so I imagine he will be up before the other moves are made on August 7th.

Too early to say Hess.   He does add some length and the O's need to see who pitches good and bad over the first two weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

So sending a guy down even in this wacky season will use up an option? Or did they work out Some kind of agreement otherwise?

Sending a guy down to Bowie uses an option (as long as that player has an option to be used.)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes.  Send a guy on the 40 to the minor league camp in Bowie, and you have used an option.

And I think McKenna has used an option too!  He is on the 40 and not on the 60 so he isn't even in Bowie.  But he was optioned in March.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Too early to say Hess.   He does add some length and the O's need to see who pitches good and bad over the first two weeks. 

Gotta be someone and Hess is as good as guess as any, unless someone gets hurt. Not really going to get a fair look at anyone over the next four days if Means is ready on the 30th. Hess along with Lakins, Carroll and Phillips probably have the shakiest grips on roster spots among the relievers and all are optionable.

2 or 3 of Valaika, Velazquez, Mullins and Smith, Jr. will likely have to go (again barring injury) by the time the roster is down to 26 and Mountcastle is promoted.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Gotta be someone and Hess is as good as guess as any, unless someone gets hurt. Not really going to get a fair look at anyone over the next four days if Means is ready on the 30th. Hess along with Lakins, Carroll and Phillips probably have the shakiest grips on roster spots among the relievers and all are optionable.

2 or 3 of Valaika, Velazquez, Mullins and Smith, Jr. will likely have to go (again barring injury) by the time the roster is down to 26 and Mountcastle is promoted.

Agree.  I hope Mountcastle is practicing at 1B.......as well as LF.  

DJ Stewart also has to hit to stay as well. 

52 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Agree.  I hope Mountcastle is practicing at 1B.......as well as LF.  

DJ Stewart also has to hit to stay as well. 

Regarding Stewart, I watched very little of the first game because I was listening on the radio, but the comment was made that all four of the early doubles were hit to Stewart in left field. He had one throw into the infield that according to Tony was “solid average“ but I’m wondering how many of those doubles were the result of him not playing them well?

Edited by Philip

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Regarding Stewart, I watched very little of the first game because I was listening on the radio, but the comment was made that all four of the early doubles were hit to Stewart in left field. He had one throw into the infield that according to Tony was “solid average“ but I’m wondering how many of those doubles were the result of him not playing them well?

I love how you can not actually watch a game, get a solid report from Tony, and still question a player.

That takes real dedication to pushing an agenda.

I mean someone else might wait until they actually watch the guy in the field and see him make a mistake before they start questioning him.

Edit- This is your second post on this topic as well right?  Stewart's play in a game you didn't watch?

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

They were all definite doubles, no one could have prevented them from being doubles.  The pitches were left floating over the middle of the plate.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2