Hyde trys to find some pitchers he can trust

wildcard

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That guy was a free agent and the O's could have signed him.

The conventional wisdom is that if you have a lousy team, it's not cost-efficient to invest a lot in a proven closer because his value to the team will be less since he's not going to have as many save opportunities and a few more blown saves aren't going to hurt you so much. You might as well try some unproven flame-throwers to see if one of them becomes a decent, or better, closer.

The other side of that coin is that when you do get those opportunities to close a dramatic victory that would be fulfilling to the team and its fans, you're at a much higher risk of not sealing the deal -- especially when your flamethrowers either have failed as closers or are on the DL or can't put the ball over the plate. It's all part of being a crap team whose front office doesn't seem to care about either winning games, or auditioning its top prospects this year, or showing its non-cardboard fans that its rebuild is making any progress. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Makes a huge difference to me.  The O's trading him has nothing to do with who he plays for now. 

Not in his case, but it can sometimes.   For example, the Red Sox trading Betts to the Dodgers in fact does have a lot to do with who he will play for for the next dozen years.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Not in his case, but it can sometimes.   For example, the Red Sox trading Betts to the Dodgers in fact does have a lot to do with who he will play for for the next dozen years.

It's also quite likely that Betts and his reps realized that no one, including the Sox, was likely to pay him more than the Dodgers.  I'm sure that they had a good feel for the likely market, especially coming off the huge revenue dumpster fire that is Corona 2020.

He still appears to be looking.  I am guessing he just throwing guys out their hoping as you can’t trust anyone.  The manager can only put guys out there and if you can’t trust anyone your not going to get results and blamed for your decisions.

Watching the game it "feels" like our bullpen is bad and struggling.

But in the two nights vs Tampa, our bullpen:

10.2 innings, 6 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 5 walks, 16 strikeouts -- 1.03 WHIP, 1.69 ERA (OK, the runs were unearned because of Armstrong's error so let's call them earned, still a 3.38 ERA)

Tampa's highly touted pen in the same 2 games:

11 innings, 13 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 4 walks, 11 strikeouts -- 1.54 WHIP,  3.28 ERA

We've allowed 7 fewer hits and struck out 5 more, and walked 1 more, in about the same # of innings.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Watching the game it "feels" like our bullpen is bad and struggling.

But in the two nights vs Tampa, our bullpen:

10.2 innings, 6 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 5 walks, 16 strikeouts -- 1.03 WHIP, 1.69 ERA (OK, the runs were unearned because of Armstrong's error so let's call them earned, still a 3.38 ERA)

Tampa's highly touted pen in the same 2 games:

11 innings, 13 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 4 walks, 11 strikeouts -- 1.54 WHIP,  3.28 ERA

We've allowed 7 fewer hits and struck out 5 more, and walked 1 more, in about the same # of innings.

I think tonight at all came down to that stupid throw into center by Armstrong. He had time to set his feet, and it was only a 15 foot throw anyway. I like Armstrong and I have pretty much more faith in him And Sulser than anybody else in the bullpen, But that throw really messed up the evening, even though we won in the end.

Edited by Philip