Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

MurphDogg

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would rather have an extra bat off the bench than a third guy that can credibly play shortstop. If Valaika is only there for his bat, there are much better options.

O's currently have 15 pitchers and 13 position players.    Hess or Phillips could be sent down and Mountcastle could be promoted.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's your definition of a legit prospect?

There are layers to this.

To me, a fringe prospect is someone like Cody Carroll pre injury last year.  IE, someone with some kind of positive attribute (in his case, his velocity) but really nothing else there.  He may be a top 30 guy but he’s hanging on by a thread.  

Legit can mean many things..it simply could mean, this guy isn’t a fringe guy.  He doesn’t need some minor miracle for him to become a MLer.  Legit can mean that is a top 100 overall guy.

In the case of Akin, he needs to improve on his command and control, which isn’t abnormal.  He has performed very well in the upper levels of the minors and the right ages, so that makes him much more than a fringe guy.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There are layers to this.

To me, a fringe prospect is someone like Cody Carroll pre injury last year.  IE, someone with some kind of positive attribute (in his case, his velocity) but really nothing else there.  He may be a top 30 guy but he’s hanging on by a thread.  

Legit can mean many things..it simply could mean, this guy isn’t a fringe guy.  He doesn’t need some minor miracle for him to become a MLer.  Legit can mean that is a top 100 overall guy.

In the case of Akin, he needs to improve on his command and control, which isn’t abnormal.  He has performed very well in the upper levels of the minors and the right ages, so that makes him much more than a fringe guy.

I agree with all of this. 

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trying to get excited about a fringe prospect....

And yep, don't give a $#%&.

Akin has been a much more highly regarded prospect that John Means ever was.    So yep, I do give a $#%&.    We'll see if he has any success as a major leaguer or not, but I definitely want to see him and am very interested to watch how he does.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Akin has been a much more highly regarded prospect that John Means ever was.    So yep, I do give a $#%&.    We'll see if he has any success as a major leaguer or not, but I definitely want to see him and am very interested to watch how he does.

I'm more interested in Wells.

19 minutes ago, makoman said:

Seems doubtful, he only played 16 games with a 464 OPS under Buck. But Buck said a lot of things so who knows. 

Exactly. He actually didn't get much of a chance under Buck (not saying he should have). Just an odd comment, I was wondering if there was a basis for it.

17 minutes ago, Natty said:

I remember when Mullins took over CF from Adam Jones. Such high hope's everone had. 

That was not a thing. Mullins was never thought to be more than a 4th outfielder or best case scenario a glove-first, no power, lower division starter #9 hitter type. Nobody thought that he could be an impact player.