No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's simple, if you say we disagree a lot, well it has to be because I think you're wrong a lot.

Why else would I disagree with you?

It's still pretty simple.

I'd say I'm sorry your ego took a bit of a hit there but I don't really care.

I could care less how you feel about me. I don’t mind disagreeing....that doesn’t mean you have to be an arrogant jerk.

And my ego has nothing to do with it 

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trezza:

“Davis was out of the O's starting lineup for the third straight game on Monday, when they opened a three-game set against the Blue Jays. It was the fourth time in the past five games the Orioles have sat their struggling first baseman as they slide him into a regular reserve role.

“The left-handed-hitting Davis is batting .133 this season and has hit .186 since the start of 2017. He is owed slightly more than $46 million through the remainder of his contract, which ties him to the roster through 2022. Sources indicate that the reduction in playing time isn’t an indicator of any impending roster move; the Orioles simply don’t view him as an everyday player anymore, especially now that they are contending.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/chris-davis-bench-role-update-orioles

LOL, so what is he, a pinch runner?

“Sources indicate that the reduction in playing time isn’t an indicator of any impending roster move; the Orioles simply don’t view him as an everyday player anymore, especially now that they are contending.

Like I always say, Better three years late to the party than not showing up at all. 

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

“Sources indicate that the reduction in playing time isn’t an indicator of any impending roster move; the Orioles simply don’t view him as an everyday player anymore, especially now that they are contending.

Like I always say, Better three years late to the party than not showing up at all. 

Haven't they been reaching this decision at some point in each of the last few years?

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Haven't they been reaching this decision at some point in each of the last few years?

I guess so, but then a new year begins and we are back to trying figure out if he can play everyday again.

As if a rapidly declining slugger in his mid 30’s is suddenly going to reverse course.

Under normal circumstances Chris Davis would have been reduced to a part time player in 2017 and in 2018 he would have been out of baseball. 

6 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I guess so, but then a new year begins and we are back to trying figure out if he can play everyday again.

As if a rapidly declining slugger in his mid 30’s is suddenly going to reverse course.

Under normal circumstances Chris Davis would have been reduced to a part time player in 2017 and in 2018 he would have been out of baseball. 

I don’t think you’d find many people out of our front office that thought (probably more realistically hoped) that they could help Davis be at least serviceable again.

Chris has lost his reaction time and swing. There isn’t much that can be done to bring it back. With Trey out for the season they really need to cut ties with Chris and bring up Mountcastle.

Nunez has the bat but I’m far from impressed with his defensive skills

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think you’d find many people out of our front office that thought (probably more realistically hoped) that they could help Davis be at least serviceable again.

Chris has lost his reaction time and swing. There isn’t much that can be done to bring it back. With Trey out for the season they really need to cut ties with Chris and bring up Mountcastle.

Nunez has the bat but I’m far from impressed with his defensive skills

They’ve certainly given him plenty at bats over the last three seasons to prove he can still play after he has clearly shown that he is no longer a MLB caliber player.

It’s been said over and over on this board, but at some point you need to cut your losses.  There is no point in letting him play out the contract. Only a wasted roster space. 

Just want to prepare people for the inevitable here:   the Orioles are facing a rookie starter tonight who, in his brief time in the majors, has given up a .962 OPS to lefties and a .481 OPS to righties.

So we will likely see Davis in the lineup tonight for the first time in several days. 

So don't get all bent out of shape thinking he's back to being a regular or something just because he starts tonight.   I'd expect to see Smith, Mullins, Santander, Ruiz, Davis, Sisco, and probably Velazquez in the lineup.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

They’ve certainly given him plenty at bats over the last three seasons to prove he can still play after he has clearly shown that he is no longer a MLB caliber player.

It’s been said over and over on this board, but at some point you need to cut your losses.  There is no point in letting him play out the contract. Only a wasted roster space. 

Yep .... And Elias should find a way to convince John & Lou that its time. Even if it means clearing the 2-3 million that it will cost for to cover the additional rookie salary while Davis is still under contract.

I was in favor of cutting Davis for the longest time.

But right now you have expanded rosters which make it easy to just sit him and you have a real chance that at any given moment the rest of the season can be cancelled thus eliminating having to pay Davis.

As long as that is the case I can't be in favor of cutting him.

If it looks like Covid is under control next year and things go back to normal than yea, cut him.  But not right now.

That doesn't mean he ever has to have another at bat.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Just want to prepare people for the inevitable here:   the Orioles are facing a rookie starter tonight who, in his brief time in the majors, has given up a .962 OPS to lefties and a .481 OPS to righties.

So we will likely see Davis in the lineup tonight for the first time in several days. 

So don't get all bent out of shape thinking he's back to being a regular or something just because he starts tonight.   I'd expect to see Smith, Mullins, Santander, Ruiz, Davis, Sisco, and probably Velazquez in the lineup.

Nope, not in starting line up.   Thankfully. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Nope, not in starting line up.   Thankfully. 

It looks like the manager has come to the same conclusion as the rest of us.  Because of the reasons Frobby has pointed out in this thread he most likely will stay on the roster.  If they end up canceling any more of this year and/or any of next it would mean a significant financial savings.  

• Upvote 1