No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

1 hour ago, bericbnauff said:

If you're not going to use Davis as a pinch hitter for Mullins vs. a RHP in the 7th inning of a tie game, he has no place on the roster.  Holy hell.

I agree. Put him on the IL with a bruised ego and have him work at getting his timing right down there. He was hitting in the spring but if you can't even pinch hit him for Mullins, you can't roster him.

6 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

This has come up multiple times with Davis.   He was done 2 years ago and wouldn't take a buyout.  I don't think he would take one now.  Although in hindsight the O's saved themselves a good chunk of money if they weren't able to get an aggressive buyout (<90%).  

But I'm not convinced its the money, I think CD still thinks he can somehow be a productive major leaguer.  Or at minimum at least likes actually being on the roster/around the clubhouse/etc.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to admit I was no longer good at my job, even if you offered me 90% of my salary to pound sand, I'd probably want to keep doing what I'm doing, if money wasn't an issue. 

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting it was a likelihood just that an absolute benching might cause him to reconsider.  Honestly we don't even know if ownership would be on board with a buyout.

I guess we are different folks, I'd take the money and go try something else rather then drag everyone else down.

Also.... the circumstances 

Chris has failed miserably the last few seasons. The writing is on the wall and he knows it better than anybody. 

In addition, he’s interviewed about walking away already 

“I know what I’m capable of," Davis told The Sun. “I know what I expect of myself and I don’t want to continue to just struggle and be a below-average, well-below-average producer at the plate.”

Plus, he turns 34 during spring training, and that adds to the problems. When players hit their mid-30s, that’s the time when the skills start to slow down. The fact that Davis considered retiring after two poor seasons shows he knows that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffseidel/2020/02/19/chris-davis-of-orioles-thought-about-retiring-but-will-try-once-more-in-2020/#1a65c91d3e18

Davis said he talked to his wife, Jill, toward end of season about walking away from game. Said he can't continue to be a "well below average player." Said will have same conversation at end of this season if he doesn't improve his production. #orioles

Crazy as it may sound on some levels it’s good for the Orioles while payroll is down just to go ahead and pay him the next 2 years. That said I’m sure the Orioles would love to spread the next 2 years out some more. 

I think one thing is different now. He is benched. He has sat in recent years but not like this. Thing is he is sitting so a Catcher can play DH. Hoping for Mancini to be back next year and at some point Mountcastle not being stuck in the minors forever will not make his odds of ever playing, any better. 

It’s been the emergence of the young position players collectively not one player. His time is done. I didn’t think this short season would provide much clarity but it has. I could see him going to the Orioles this offseason and trying to work something out.  

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You never see buyouts in MLB and I’m not sure if they are against the CBA or not but a buyout may be in order here.

He could retire .... The buyout would be better than Chris just walking away. I'm sure the PA would hate a buyout. But this is an extreme case.

Honestly, except past performance the Orioles got little for $160 Million......  3 WAR in the 1st year of the contract and -6.3 WAR since.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Crazy as it may sound on some levels it’s good for the Orioles while payroll is down just to go ahead and pay him the next 2 years. That said I’m sure the Orioles would love to spread the next 2 years out some more. 

I think one thing is different now. He is benched. He has sat in recent years but not like this. Thing is he is sitting so a Catcher can play DH. Hoping for Mancini to be back next year and at some point Mountcastle not being stuck in the minors forever will not make his odds of ever playing, any better. 

It’s been the emergence of the young position players collectively not one player. His time is done. I didn’t think this short season would provide much clarity but it has. I could see him going to the Orioles this offseason and trying to work something out.  

He had 53 at bats in Sept/Oct 2018.

He had 30 at bats in Sept/Oct 2019.

He is still getting into games.

I'm not seeing a lot different than what we have seen before.

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How ???? The buyout would decrease the amount over the next 2 years and likely minimally decrease the deferred money that is owed overtime.

If he retires you save $46 million .... If he agrees to a buyout you would save some unknown number.

I'd tell him that his playing days are over due to his diminished skill. Tell him he can stay and get 2 years sitting on the bench watching and will be expected to participate in all of the meetings, spring training, activities, etc. Basically make him do everything except play. Make it as painful as possible for him to still get the $46 million.

If he won't retire than offer him 50 cents on the dollar that he will essentially be getting for 0 production.

The Orioles have made every effort to work with Davis, Chris is a good guy and the past interviews about retiring tells me that he has some pride. You treat him with respect but tell him that its time.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How ???? The buyout would decrease the amount over the next 2 years and likely minimally decrease the deferred money that is owed overtime.

If he retires you save $46 million .... If he agrees to a buyout you would save some unknown number.

I'd tell him that his playing days are over due to his diminished skill. Tell him he can stay and get 2 years sitting on the bench watching and will be expected to participate in all of the meetings, spring training, activities, etc. Basically make him do everything except play. Make it as painful as possible for him to still get the $46 million.

If he won't retire than offer him 50 cents on the dollar that he will essentially be getting for 0 production.

The Orioles have made every effort to work with Davis, Chris is a good guy and the past interviews about retiring tells me that he has some pride. You treat him with respect but tell him that its time.

He may walk away but will he walk away with taking less money? Already has some deferred, will he actually sign off on 80% of what he is owed next 2 years or more likely allow some of it to be spread out with the other deferred money. 

In a clumsy way I was trying to say right now our payroll is peanuts and it’s not like his cost is stopping us from adding payroll to a contending team. 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had 53 at bats in Sept/Oct 2018.

He had 30 at bats in Sept/Oct 2019.

He is still getting into games.

I'm not seeing a lot different than what we have seen before.

He had a long leash each season though. Wasn’t like he was benched in May. After both seasons he came back and was the starter the next year. 

He isn’t getting on the field much now and it’s not because it’s September and they want a look at other players. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He had a long leash each season though. Wasn’t like he was benched in May. After both seasons he came back and was the starter the next year. 

He isn’t getting on the field much now and it’s not because it’s September and they want a look at other players. 

He was benched in June of 2018.

Let's see how long this lasts and how complete a benching it is before we say it's unprecedented.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He may walk away but will he walk away with taking less money? Already has some deferred, will he actually sign off on 80% of what he is owed next 2 years or more likely allow some of it to be spread out with the other deferred money. 

In a clumsy way I was trying to say right now our payroll is peanuts and it’s not like his cost is stopping us from adding payroll to a contending team. 

If he retires the Orioles would not be obligated to the final 2 seasons. Its different than the Albert Belle situation because he has diminished skills and not an injury.

Will he ask for a buyout rather than retiring if he intent on doing so? I think he probably would and be in his best interest if he is intent on walking away.

I think that this is wearing on Chris and who knows what his agreement was with his wife? Maybe they agreed that he would give it one more try and see if he can turn it around and if not the walk away

Just now, Roll Tide said:

If he retires the Orioles would not be obligated to the final 2 seasons. Its different than the Albert Belle situation because he has diminished skills and not an injury.

Will he ask for a buyout rather than retiring if he intent on doing so? I think he probably would and be in his best interest if he is intent on walking away.

I think that this is wearing on Chris and who knows what his agreement was with his wife? Maybe they agreed that he would give it one more try and see if he can turn it around and if not the walk away

I don’t see him walking away from $46M. He will also be under internal pressure not to give back any money. 

Do I think it is more likely now he could walk away?, yes. That said it doesn’t mean he will take less money but it could be spread out even more. 

He can walk away and save face and technically not lose any money.