No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

8 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Earlier this spring there were threads about Davis putting on 25 LBS of muscle and he looked like his old self in spring training, long HR and being walked by pitchers.  And of course speculation  that he was on PED.  If he was, what happened?  Did he go off of the juice? Is he still more muscular or did he lose those 25 LBS during the long break? 

Just in theory, if a player was on PED then signed a huge contract it would be in his  financial interest to stop taking the PED the minute the ink is dry on that contract. I mean the only way the contact could be voided would be if he tested positive and was suspended. From a financial standpoint after signing,  it would seem much better to fail and be released, rather than take any chance of that contract being voided and losing millions. 

I have no idea what's wrong with Chris Davis but I am wondering if it is ever wise to sign someone to a long term contract these days.

Bodybuilding doesn’t really help you hit a baseball.

21 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Bodybuilding doesn’t really help you hit a baseball.

No, but adding strength when you already have the ability to hit will help for sure, and it's why guys went from good average hitters with limited power to good average hitters with massive power numbers during the steroid era. Also, it's clear that steroids allowed pitchers to throw harder.

8 hours ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Earlier this spring there were threads about Davis putting on 25 LBS of muscle and he looked like his old self in spring training, long HR and being walked by pitchers.  And of course speculation  that he was on PED.  If he was, what happened?  Did he go off of the juice? Is he still more muscular or did he lose those 25 LBS during the long break? 

Just in theory, if a player was on PED then signed a huge contract it would be in his  financial interest to stop taking the PED the minute the ink is dry on that contract. I mean the only way the contact could be voided would be if he tested positive and was suspended. From a financial standpoint after signing,  it would seem much better to fail and be released, rather than take any chance of that contract being voided and losing millions. 

I have no idea what's wrong with Chris Davis but I am wondering if it is ever wise to sign someone to a long term contract these days.

Mike Trout seems to be doing alright. Same with Scherzer.

10 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

From the look of him, his muscle memory seems to respond well to repetitive activities with weights, yet it doesn't seem to translate with a bat.

Hard to have a good swing when you aren't seeing the ball.  From his condition or whatever.