If Orioles start trading, what are some realistic return expectations?

cnmilton

27 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

We've gone around on this before, but I've rarely seen a catcher develop early.

Top Orioles' catchers age of best season:

Hoiles, 28
Dempsey, 28 (although he was better in his 30s than 20s)
Wieters, 25
Triandos, 25
Etchebarren, 25
Ramon Hernandez, 30
Elrod, 28
Charles Johnson, 25
C. Joseph, 29
Orsino, 25

Hall of Famers:
Bench, 24
Carter, 28
Ivan Rodriguez, 25
Fisk, 24
Piazza, 28
Berra, 31, but his 26-29 seasons were almost the same
Dickey, 30
Hartnett, 29
Cochrane, 30
Lombardi, 30
Campanella, 29
Schalk, 21 and 22 tied
Farrell, 26
Simmons, 28
Bresnahan, 29
Ewing, 28

Generally you do not catch a fish unless you bait the hook(although I have done it a couple times),  but I do not know how many,  if any,  baited hooks the Orioles have out there.  Everyone s/b available at the right price, but I am not holding my breath.    

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Kevin Gausman got 1/$9M, Homer Bailey got 1/$7M, and Julio Teheran got 1/$9M last offseason. Cobb is a bit pricier, but if the O's kick in some money to make Cobb's final year of his contract similar to the going-rate for question-mark pitchers, I think he's trade-able.

I think Cobb is better than the pitchers you mention. The injury concerns are what Cobb needed to ease. IMO he has done that thus far. I would hope that he gets 1-2 solid starts before the deadline. I don't think anything happened yesterday to diminish his value

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one else wanted Cobb at the price the O's signed him at, why would anyone give up something to assume the contract now?  I think the O's need to eat some money to even get rid of the contract.  If that wasn't the case I figured he'd be gone by now.

#IKNOWWEDISAGREE

#IKNOWUDONTCAREABOUTMYOPINION

#PLEASEPUTMEONIGNORE

2 hours ago, MountUrCastle said:

Our guys suck and have no value..... but also this team can be really surprising and make the playoffs! 

Actually I was being a smartass as I dont fall in the group that says that every time one of our guys is in a trade rumor! The rolleyes emoji isnt around anymore.

We are not contenders with the current team. If they hang onto the dream of making the playoffs in a year were opportunities are inflated it will slow the progress IMO

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Put yourself in the role of another team's GM.  Who on the Orioles would you be interested in acquiring for a legitimately good prospect?  And if you're the Orioles, who are you comfortable giving up because the long-term return will likely be better than keeping them?

Alberto, Severino, Iglesias (if healthy), Givens, Sulser, and any other pen arm.

I think Givens is the most likely to be traded with Cobb a close second.  I'd be disappointed if they don't get solid prospects for Givens because other teams seem to covet him and he has a good track record and has performed well so far this season.  Cobb's return depends on how much money the Orioles take on in the deal. 

I can't see them trading anyone else on the team.  Most of the position players are just entering their primes and making very little money.