11th Inning defense. Why was Alberto out?

ChipTait

9 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes and I was surprised. But so what? Adam said,”sometimes you suck.” And I really took that to heart. But I would still yank him from the game. You don’t let such a gaffe pass.

You never, ever, ever, ever do that.  As a manager you're signaling to the players that they have ZERO rope to work with.  That they flub one ground ball, they miss one cutoff man, and the hammer comes down.  If that's the atmosphere in the clubhouse you're praying you're the guy in the deadline deal going to a team with a manager who's not insane.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, section18 said:

Alberto had a ground ball to him in short RF. Akin was pulled  prior to that with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs in a 1-0 game. All  Alberto had to do was throw a strike to 1B to end the inning and hold the 1-0 lead. He like a lot of our infielders throws a 3/4 arm toss that sailed about 2 feet over Nunez's head. Ridiculous ! The players looked at him like WTF. 2 errors ?  He has screwed up before at 2B. I guess they didn't give him errors.. 

Yea, if Elias was smart he'd only have players on the roster who never make errors.  Where do you find those?

I assumed Alberto had hurt himself on the sac bunt leading off the 10th. It was a good bunt that took a terrific play by the Jays' pitcher to nip him at first by a hair. Alberto knew he had a chance to beat it out and was running as hard as I've ever seen him run. Maybe he hit the bag a little awkwardly. 

9 hours ago, AZRon said:

OMG!  Didn't anyone cover Ubaldo's Pothole ™ back up after Davis stepped in it?  We don't need to lose any players we aren't intending to lose!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You never, ever, ever, ever do that. As a manager, you're signaling to the players that they have ZERO rope to work with. That they flub one ground ball, they miss one cutoff man, and the hammer comes down. If that's the atmosphere in the clubhouse, you're praying that you're the guy in the deadline deal going to a team with a manager who's not insane.

o

Agreed, and good point(s.

In 1988, Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News wrote an article asserting that it was a minor miracle that the Yankees had had 6 consecutive winning seasons (1983-1988) in the paranoid atmosphere that owner George Steinbrenner had created. After Gabe Paul (the Yankees' G.M. from 1973-1977) rebuilt the Yankees back into a power (which resulted in 2 World championships, 4 American League Pennants, and 5 division titles from 1976-1981), George Steinbrenner's insane temper and compulsiveness with BOTH his managers AND his players drove the Yankees back into a pretty good but no longer great franchise from 1982-1988 (7 out of 8 winning seasons, but no playoff appearances), and finally a bad franchise (4 straight losing seasons from 1989-1992.) It wasn't until Commissioner Fay Vincent gave Steinbrenner the boot for 2 years in July of 1990 that the Yankees were able to rebuild themselves back into a power again under the collective guidance of General Manager Gene Michael (1991-1995) and Manager Buck Showalter (1992-1995.) 

o

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You never, ever, ever, ever do that. As a manager, you're signaling to the players that they have ZERO rope to work with. That they flub one ground ball, they miss one cutoff man, and the hammer comes down. If that's the atmosphere in the clubhouse, you're praying that you're the guy in the deadline deal going to a team with a manager who's not insane.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

Agreed, and good point(s.

In 1988, Mike Lupica of the NY Daily News wrote an article asserting that it was a minor miracle that the Yankees had had 6 consecutive winning seasons (1983-1988) in the paranoid atmosphere that owner George Steinbrenner had created. After Gabe Paul (the Yankees' G.M. from 1973-1977) rebuilt the Yankees back into a power (which resulted in 2 World championships, 4 American League Pennants, and 5 division titles from 1976-1981), George Steinbrenner's insane temper and compulsiveness with BOTH his managers AND his players drove the Yankees back into a pretty good but no longer great franchise from 1982-1988 (7 out of 8 winning seasons, but no playoff appearances), and finally a bad franchise (4 straight losing seasons from 1989-1992.) It wasn't until Commissioner Fay Vincent gave Steinbrenner the boot for 2 years in July of 1990 that the Yankees were able to rebuild themselves back into a power again under the collective guidance of General Manager Gene Michael (1991-1995) and Manager Buck Showalter (1992-1995.) 

o

o

One example, from April of 1984.

It involved the players, the manager, and the owner ...... 

Bobby Meacham, whose 8th-inning error enabled Texas to score the winning run Friday night, was optioned to the Minor Leagues today in a move that upset Yogi Berra and raised a question about his future as the Yankees' manager.

The mood in the Yankees' clubhouse was decidedly gloomy. Losing has been bad enough, but the Meacham move, viewed as unwarranted, created ill feelings, particularly in Berra's feelings toward the owner, George Steinbrenner ...... Yogi's upset,'' one uniformed member of the club said. "Everybody's staying away from him." 

'It's not my doing, and I don't want to talk about it,'' Berra said in an unusually strong and candid comment before the Yankees' game with the Rangers today.

Who made the decision to banish Meacham? "I don't want to talk about it,'' Berra repeated. Other members of the Yankees, however, made it clear that the move was dictated by Steinbrenner, who informed Berra of the decision in a telephone conversation following the Rangers' 7-6 victory. One source said that Berra objected strongly, but that the owner held firm.

Another source pictured Berra as depressed over the matter, and questioned how much longer he would want to remain as manager if things continued in this manner.

Yanks Beaten, 8-5: Meacham Demoted

(NY Times Archives)

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/04/08/sports/yanks-beaten-8-5-meacham-demoted.html

o