What do you think the opening day rotation will be for Bowie?

MarkakisFan21

Agree with Greg about Matusz in Frederick letting Erbe, Arrieta and Spoone (and possibly Patton, at least at the start of the season) lead the Bowie staff.

I would have a problem asking Tillman back to Bowie - especially after his last four or five starts when he was just filthy and cut back nicely on the walks. In light of recent promotions from Bowie to Norfolk (after season's end) like Olson and Liz, it's difficult to believe Tillman would be held back. I really don't know how one puts up the stats Tillman provided at Bowie and the improvement during the year and not reward him with a promotion. IMO, DHernandez would be a much better bet to repeat in Bowie than Tillman. We'll see.

I was under the assumption that Spoone was injured and would be out until the middle of the 2009 season... or am I confusing him with someone else?

Tillman, Arrieta, Erbe are definitely on the Baysox roster.

Ahhh agreed, forgot about that. Thanks.

No Spoone.

One guy who will need to be pushed is Tim Bascom, as he'll be 24 entering the '09 season... Bowie could be in the cards.

Ahhh agreed, forgot about that. Thanks.

No Spoone.

One guy who will need to be pushed is Tim Bascom, as he'll be 24 entering the '09 season... Bowie could be in the cards.

Given his performance at Frederick, I have a hard time seeing him promoted to Bowie.

Agree with Greg about Matusz in Frederick letting Erbe, Arrieta and Spoone (and possibly Patton, at least at the start of the season) lead the Bowie staff.

I would have a problem asking Tillman back to Bowie - especially after his last four or five starts when he was just filthy and cut back nicely on the walks. In light of recent promotions from Bowie to Norfolk (after season's end) like Olson and Liz, it's difficult to believe Tillman would be held back. I really don't know how one puts up the stats Tillman provided at Bowie and the improvement during the year and not reward him with a promotion. IMO, DHernandez would be a much better bet to repeat in Bowie than Tillman. We'll see.

What would be the purpose of that?? If it's because of his command(which we know is his only real hang up), couldn't he work out the kinks in Norfolk?? He pretty much had his way this year at Bowie what would he gain by going back?? I don't Tillman needs to be at Bowie because he got nothing to prove down at that level.

I'd say David Hernandez stays in the Bowie rotation to start the season. He needs to cut back the walks.

Then Arrieta, Erbe and probably Schmidt.After that, who knows.

I can't see Renshaw at double A yet, and don't know if Patton will be able to pitch at the beginning. And despite everybody's eagerness, I'm thinking that Matusz starts at Frederick.They simply aren't going to rush guys anymore; it doesn't work.

I'd say David Hernandez stays in the Bowie rotation to start the season. He needs to cut back the walks.

While that could happen, the difference between the walk rates of Hernandez (71 in 141 IP) and Tillman (65 in 135 IP) is negligible. I think if DH gets held back it will be because the O's want him to continue to refine his change-up and reduce his fly ball ratio.

Then Arrieta, Erbe and probably Schmidt.After that, who knows.

I can't see Renshaw at double A yet, and don't know if Patton will be able to pitch at the beginning. And despite everybody's eagerness, I'm thinking that Matusz starts at Frederick.They simply aren't going to rush guys anymore; it doesn't work.

I agree with wickedwitch on this one:

You wouldn't even promote him to AAA? He needs to be promoted so he can't get off the hook for walking people so easily. At AA, he's good enough that the walks don't matter that much.

It serves no purpose for him to be at AA and to dominated while walking batters. He will definitely be in AAA working on his command. He just needs to get back to what he did in '07, a 2.91(BB/9). Then he will be able to get deep into games.

Archived