Today might be the best I’ve felt about the Orioles in four years

Frobby

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I get that people don’t want to get overly excited because we have had so many failed pitching prospects, just like basically every team has.

But these are different pitchers and we have different people involved in the process of developing them...and them people who are doing it have proven themselves in far better organizations than the Os have been.

Doesnt mean they will definitely succeed and we have to give these guys far more time to really see how good or bad they will be.  For now, I will be excited about them because they do have legit talent and they are trending in the right direction and I trust the plan Elias has in place.

I agree mostly, but the proof ultimately is in the pudding.  We will all find out soon enough of these two are genuine or are less than that.  The major leagues are a harsh mistress. 

22 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree mostly, but the proof ultimately is in the pudding.  We will all find out soon enough of these two are genuine or are less than that.  The major leagues are a harsh mistress. 

Not to mention the major league umps, who (conventional wisdom notes) tend to squeeze young players learning the ropes. And these all-too-human umps appear more flawed than ever this season.

• Upvote 1

Happy with some of these developments, but not crediting much yet. The Yanks are trash right now.

Even so, I feel like regardless of where they settle, they’re clearly better prepared than our org guys usually are. That’s important if it’s an indication of how others will look after they’ve made their way through our system.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Happy with some of these developments, but not crediting much yet. The Yanks are trash right now.

Even so, I feel like regardless of where they settle, they’re clearly better prepared than our org guys usually are. That’s important if it’s an indication of how others will look after they’ve made their way through our system.

Love to hear that.  Say that has many times as you can.

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I agree mostly, but the proof ultimately is in the pudding.  We will all find out soon enough of these two are genuine or are less than that.  The major leagues are a harsh mistress

I agree.  I imagine Akin and Kremer will get to pitch in the Bronx this week, so let’s see how they fare the second time around.  I’m hopeful, because that’s my nature.

• Upvote 1

To me Kremer already feels like he'll have a better chance to be good than Gausman. Why? 3 pitches instead of 2. Good fastball he can apparently command extremely well, a nasty overhand curve, and a pretty nice looking cutter/slider thing. 

He's gonna take his lumps I'm sure, but what's not to love about what you saw the other day?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LookinUp said:

That trash Yanks lineup did hang 6 runs on a pretty good pitcher in Ryu last night.

It will be interesting to see how Akin and Kremer handle facing the same team in consecutive starts.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not a prospect expert so I tend to listen to those that are.  The fact that Kremer and Akin aren't toward the top of prospect lists for the Orioles leads me to err on the side of caution when it comes to expectations.

They were not high picks so it makes it much harder for players like them to move up the prospect lists especially college pitchers that are usually little more experienced at the lower levels which makes people think they just more polished then other guys at that point.  So usually they downgraded on prospects list and also don’t get high upside remarks as they would being drafted out of high school with room to grow.  Shane Bieber who is me of the best guys in the league right now never made top 10 in the Indians prospects lists and even his highest ranking 11th the right up said low ceiling but a higher floor and possible back end of rotation guy or swing man.   He was another college arm not picked in first round.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bpilktree said:

They were not high picks so it makes it much harder for players like them to move up the prospect lists especially college pitchers that are usually little more experienced at the lower levels which makes people think they just more polished then other guys at that point.  So usually they downgraded on prospects list and also don’t get high upside remarks as they would being drafted out of high school with room to grow.  Shane Bieber who is me of the best guys in the league right now never made top 10 in the Indians prospects lists and even his highest ranking 11th the right up said low ceiling but a higher floor and possible back end of rotation guy or swing man.   He was another college arm not picked in first round.

Depends what you mean by “high picks.”   Akin was a second rounder, no. 54 overall.    That’s not going to propel you to national top 100 prospect status, but it certainly gets the attention of national evaluators.   

In any event, we have a lot of pitching depth in our system now.   Akin and Kremer are not at the top of our list; two pitchers who were picked no. 11 and no. 21 overall are.   But they are both better than Wright IMO.

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So the Astros or the W-2 team doesn’t really matter to us right?  

Nope.  The only benefit to an Astro losing streak is that IF Seattle gets super hot and passes us and Houston, then we do need to finish ahead of Houston to make the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

And today feels even better than Sunday.    Great to see Means back on track and Stewart and Mountcastle with the early homers, and an all around terrific offensive night.  

Mullins has the OPS almost to .800 as well and is playing pretty good defense in CF.  Glad to see all of these guys making the most of the opportunities right now.  Especially happy for Stewart and Mullins who I've always felt have been discarded a bit too quickly around here at times.