Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

On 8/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

It's hard to be offended when you're picturing a guy in a pith helmet and a handlebar moustache calling you Sport in an exaggerated aristocratic English accent.  The piffle in a following post just added to it.

"Hrrumph.  Perhaps young Mr. Yastrzemski has been using an un-sporting al-u-min-ee-um bat to strike the ball during his brief holiday in San Francisco?"

Actually that’s quite similar to my actual mental image. Regarding “piffle,” my Papa used to say that all the time. He raised us on PG Wodehouse, Victorian poetry and stories. I had memorized “the jungle book” before I was ten. Not just the Mowgli stories, but all of them. When we were single digits, Papa read us, “three men in a boat” and to this day I remember how he made us laugh with the way he created the individual characters with his voice.

wonderful memories.

I was also fond of Colonel Potter’s “horse hockey” for a time, but Piffle remains my favorite. And it’s so much more polite than shouting ,” bullish—.”

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually that’s quite similar to my actual mental image. Regarding “piffle,” my Papa used to say that all the time. He raised us on PG Wodehouse, Victorian poetry and stories. I had memorized “the jungle book” before I was ten. Not just the Mowgli stories, but all of them. When we were single digits, Papa read us, “three men in a boat” and to this day I remember how he made us laugh with the way he created the individual characters with his voice.

wonderful memories.

I was also fond of Colonel Potter’s “horse hockey” for a time, but Piffle remains my favorite. And it’s so much more polite than shouting ,” bullish—.”

Whenever I think about Victorian England my mind turns to the practice of figging, and I snicker.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:15 PM, Frobby said:

Meh.    There was really nothing in his history to suggest Yaz would be a viable major league player.    He’s proved that wrong, for now, and good for him, but I don’t really question the thinking at the time.    

I'm happy he's having some success... but at 28 he's a bit late on the development curve. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see him regress next year.   

2 hours ago, Philip said:

wonderful memories.

Okay, now I'm picturing your Dad in high waisted trousers with a vest, a starched, high collared shirt, and ascot.  Also, he smokes a Peterson pipe, wears a monocle and whenever he makes a toast he raises his glass and simply says "to the regiment."  

8 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Okay, now I'm picturing your Dad in high waisted trousers with a vest, a starched, high collared shirt, and ascot.  Also, he smokes a Peterson pipe, wears a monocle and whenever he makes a toast he raises his glass and simply says "to the regiment."  

The first toast would be to the queen. I’m trying to picture my papa like that, and I can only laugh. He was very American, he smoked Chesterfields And because he went to Cornell, I think he was a Yankee fan. But I loved him nonetheless

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The first toast would be to the queen. I’m trying to picture my papa like that, and I can only laugh. He was very American, he smoked Chesterfields And because he went to Cornell, I think he was a Yankee fan. But I loved him nonetheless

My father-in-law went to Cornell and also smoked Chesterfields back in the day.  I salute your father.  "To the regiment."

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm happy he's having some success... but at 28 he's a bit late on the development curve. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see him regress next year.   

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t.   Then again, I never expected him to do what he’s done this year, so maybe he’ll surprise me again next year.  

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

I hope he keeps it going.  I hope all ex Orioles do well.  It seems people enjoy when of our guys have a rough spot with a new team.   For example Cashner.  Dont understand that.

Cashner’s on the Red Sox, who we don’t like.   It’s not personal as to Cashner, he’s a good dude.  

Just now, atomic said:

Why do you dislike the Red Sox?  Their players seem pretty likable.

Nothing against the individuals who play for them.    But their fans have been pretty obnoxious for a while now, and they’ve had far too much success up there and the fans are incredibly spoiled by it.     I’d rather see any other AL team besides the Yankees succeed before them.    

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why do you dislike the Red Sox?  Their players seem pretty likable.

Oh good Lord, I  can't believe you would post that here on an Orioles forum. It's  about their obnoxious, entitled bandwagon fans. Papa destroying phone in roid-rage, how good it felt when MAndino broke their hearts. Their pink and the green hats, their propensity to argue everything.  I actually  PREFER to sit next to a MFNY fan at OPACY, they usually understand the game and know the players. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Oh good Lord, I  can't believe you would post that here on an Orioles forum. It's  about their obnoxious, entitled bandwagon fans. Papa destroying phone in roid-rage, how good it felt when MAndino broke their hearts. Their pink and the green hats, their propensity to argue everything.  I actually  PREFER to sit next to a MFNY fan at OPACY, they usually understand the game and know the players. 

Anything is better than a Red Sox fan. Especially here. 

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nothing against the individuals who play for them.    But their fans have been pretty obnoxious for a while now, and they’ve had far too much success up there and the fans are incredibly spoiled by it.     I’d rather see any other AL team besides the Yankees succeed before them.    

I like the Yankees better. They are part Savage.