Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

52 minutes ago, atomic said:

I hope he keeps it going.  I hope all ex Orioles do well.  It seems people enjoy when of our guys have a rough spot with a new team.   For example Cashner.  Dont understand that.

There's no great mystery to it.  It's just frustrating when another team benefits from the performance of someone we gave up on.  

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I'm happy he's having some success... but at 28 he's a bit late on the development curve. I hope I'm wrong but it wouldn't surprise me to see him regress next year.   

Of course, I'm happy for him too. But another point is that, in a season of the O's playing last-place ball, he would have been a great story--one that could have gone in so many interesting directions. If the Oriole beat writers couldn't make hay with that one, they should all find other careers. (I remember watching Carl play ever since his sophomore year with the Red Sox and he always had my respect, along with Kaline, Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Clemente et al. It would have been a great trip down the genealogical Memory Lane--and that it was happening on the rival Orioles would have made it all the more enjoyable.)

34 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

There's no great mystery to it.  It's just frustrating when another team benefits from the performance of someone we gave up on.  

We gave up on him so why shouldn't he succeed?  Dont understand it.  It's not like we are in a playoff hunt against his team. I thought we should have given him a chance as bad our team was.  

47 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Oh good Lord, I  can't believe you would post that here on an Orioles forum. It's  about their obnoxious, entitled bandwagon fans. Papa destroying phone in roid-rage, how good it felt when MAndino broke their hearts. Their pink and the green hats, their propensity to argue everything.  I actually  PREFER to sit next to a MFNY fan at OPACY, they usually understand the game and know the players. 

I hated the team that Adino knocked out of the playoffs.  But I didnt like their players. But never hated the like the old Yankees teams with Texeira and company.

I have nothing against the current group.  If we were both battling for a playoff spot I am sure I wouldn't like them but right now they are just another team with some good players.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t.   Then again, I never expected him to do what he’s done this year, so maybe he’ll surprise me again next year.  

Even if were to regress next year, he would have been a great Oriole story to complement the other unexpected individual successes--the ones you listed in another thread--that have made this season's team more enjoyable to follow than last year's more star-studded roster.

Also, I'd like finally to get rid of the O's horrible reputation for letting go of players who flourish elsewhere.

On the other hand, Yaz catching fire here might have delayed the integration of Stewart into the lineup and the experiments with Smith, Jr., Wilkerson in CF, and Santander.

Another idle contemplation: If Davis had not still been on the roster and Mancini were playing first, I wonder if Yaz wd have gotten his chance here.... In retrospect, he may turn out to have been the first ML roster casualty of the Davis contract.

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

We gave up on him so why shouldn't he succeed?  Dont understand it.  It's not like we are in a playoff hunt against his team. I thought we should have given him a chance as bad our team was.  

I hated the team that Adino knocked out of the playoffs.  But I didnt like their players. But never hated the like the old Yankees teams with Texeira and company.

I have nothing against the current group.  If we were both battling for a playoff spot I am sure I wouldn't like them but right now they are just another team with some good players.  

Yeah, I guess Red Sox fans shouldn't have been frustrated that their team traded Babe Ruth for $25K.  Win, win for both sides.  You've convinced me.  

35 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Even if were to regress next year, he would have been a great Oriole story to complement the other unexpected individual successes--the ones you listed in another thread--that have made this season's team more enjoyable to follow than last year's more star-studded roster.

Also, I'd like finally to get rid of the O's horrible reputation for letting go of players who flourish elsewhere.

On the other hand, Yaz catching fire here might have delayed the integration of Stewart into the lineup and the experiments with Smith, Jr., Wilkerson in CF, and Santander.

Another idle contemplation: If Davis had not still been on the roster and Mancini were playing first, I wonder if Yaz wd have gotten his chance here.... In retrospect, he may turn out to have been the first ML roster casualty of the Davis contract.

Christian Walker wants to have a word...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t.   Then again, I never expected him to do what he’s done this year, so maybe he’ll surprise me again next year.  

You know with all this talk about what a breakout season Yastrzemski is having I just realized that Santander is having an even better season.  

In nearly the same amount of playing time Santander has a 2.1 WAR, (to Yaz's 1.9) a higher batting average, an identical .ops+ and they're within 1 of each other in rbi's.    After last night Santander has 16 HR's to Yaz's 18.  Plus, he's only 24 and Yastrzemski is 29.

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

You know with all this talk about what a breakout season Yastrzemski is having I just realized that Santander is having an even better season.  

In nearly the same amount of playing time Santander has a 2.1 WAR, (to Yaz's 1.9) a higher batting average, an identical .ops+ and they're within 1 of each other in rbi's.    After last night Santander has 16 HR's to Yaz's 18.  Plus, he's only 24 and Yastrzemski is 29.

I’d much rather have Santander.    But, I’m still impressed with what Yaz has been able to do this year.  

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't bother me.  Seems like sour grapes.

I should clarify, I don't actually root for former O's to fail... far from it.  Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, for example, are long time favorites that I regularly follow and root for... I still hope Nick can get to 3,000 hits. So it's more frustration rather than any ill will towards former O's that go elsewhere and perform well.  And that frustration isn't really directed at the player - it's more focused the organization or just "fate."  It's like with Jake Arrieta... after 3 1/2 frustrating seasons with us it was hard to watch him, practically overnight, turn his whole career around while wearing the uniform of another team.

16 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I should clarify, I don't actually root for former O's to fail... far from it.  Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, for example, are long time favorites that I regularly follow and root for... I still hope Nick can get to 3,000 hits. So it's more frustration rather than any ill will towards former O's that go elsewhere and perform well.  And that frustration isn't really directed at the player - it's more focused the organization or just "fate."  It's like with Jake Arrieta... after 3 1/2 frustrating seasons with us it was hard to watch him, practically overnight, turn his whole career around while wearing the uniform of another team.

Happens to every team.  Part of the game.

Just now, BRobinsonfan said:

Well, I'll be... I've just done some research and you know... you're absolutely right.  And not only that... it's apparently been going on for a long time.  ?

It happens to every team, but Arrieta is a very extreme example.   Plus, you have to view it in a context of a team that’s had hardly any good starting pitchers for two decades.    It’s not like we’re the Astros, giving up on JD Martinez but having a great offensive team anyway.