#3 Prospect - Chris Tillman - RHP

Tony-OH

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm very excited to see this young man. Seems to me we'll see him in an Orioles uniform before 2009 is over, at age 21.
I think he gets a cup of coffee at least, unless he struggles in AAA, which I just don't see happening pitching in the pitcher's haven that is Norfolk.

I think he'll get passed by Arrieta and Matusz (in the race to Baltimore, not necessarily on the prospect list) but I think theres a real good chance that all 3 of them will have some MLB experience heading into ST in 2010.

I think he gets a cup of coffee at least, unless he struggles in AAA, which I just don't see happening pitching in the pitcher's haven that is Norfolk.

I think he'll get passed by Arrieta and Matusz (in the race to Baltimore, not necessarily on the prospect list) but I think theres a real good chance that all 3 of them will have some MLB experience heading into ST in 2010.

That would be ideal. I don't want to rush any of them, but it would be nice if all three could get their feet wet in September and come to camp in 2010 ready to compete for a rotation spot.

I have to admit, I'm having a lot of Hudson/Mulder/Zito fantasies these days. Once every few years, some team hits the jackpot and gets three very good young starters in short succession. Maybe it's about to be our turn.

I have to admit, I'm having a lot of Hudson/Mulder/Zito fantasies these days. Once every few years, some team hits the jackpot and gets three very good young starters in short succession. Maybe it's about to be our turn.
I think that one of those 3 will flop, the other two will be very successful, hopefully one of them a #1 pitcher if not a true ace. But I also think that of our next tier of SP, the Bergesen/Hernandez/Erbe/Berken group that we'll have one of them step up to fill the void for whomever of the "big 3" falls behind.

You've gotta love the depth of SP prospects we have. And I'm still not ready to concede that Liz and Olson won't be legit starters (although I'm close on Liz).

I think that one of those 3 will flop, the other two will be very successful, hopefully one of them a #1 pitcher if not a true ace. But I also think that of our next tier of SP, the Bergesen/Hernandez/Erbe/Berken group that we'll have one of them step up to fill the void for whomever of the "big 3" falls behind.

You've gotta love the depth of SP prospects we have. And I'm still not ready to concede that Liz and Olson won't be legit starters (although I'm close on Liz).

I'm with you on Olson and Liz. I think, though, that they need to show they belong in 2009, or the younger guys are going to pass them by. I also agree with you that we shouldn't sleep on Bergesen/Hernandez/Erbe/Berken. I like Erbe the best of that group but any of the four could turn out to be a decent to good major league pitcher. (Don't forget Spoone and Patton, by the way.)

As to the big three, I don't think any will "flop," as in, not becoming a good major league pitcher. I do think that one could end up in the bullpen.

And of course, we have to say our prayers that all these guys stay healthy. We've had more than our share of disappointments on that front the last few years.

As to the big three, I don't think any will "flop," as in, not becoming a good major league pitcher. I do think that one could end up in the bullpen.

And of course, we have to say our prayers that all these guys stay healthy. We've had more than our share of disappointments on that front the last few years.

I'm including injuries in my "flop" category. Two of the guys make it and are reliable starters, hopefully one of which is a big-time starter. One of them will flame out for one of a litany of possibly reasons.

Its just not highly likely that all three make it. Not a knock on any one of them, just the odds with pitchers.

I'm including injuries in my "flop" category. Two of the guys make it and are reliable starters, hopefully one of which is a big-time starter. One of them will flame out for one of a litany of possibly reasons.

Its just not highly likely that all three make it. Not a knock on any one of them, just the odds with pitchers.

You are absolutely right about that. But like I said, in my dreams this is Hudson/Mulder/Zito. Not Prior/Wood/Zambrano (though that was nice for a year or two).

Wow, a RHP who can throw an 11 to 5 curveball! He must be amazing:laughlol:

Seriously, though, great write-ups on the prospects for those of us who never get to see them!

It's 11-5 from the batters perspective. It's used very often when explaining that the break is not a true 12-6.

I'd say he's like a mix of Roy Halladay, Josh Beckett, Jim Palmer, Babe Ruth, and Bill Brasky.

Did I ever tell you about the time Brasky took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally Brasky takes me to a vacant lot and says, 'Here we are.' We sat there for a year and a half — until sure enough, someone constructs a bar around us. Well, the day they opened we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Brasky yelled over the roar of the flames, 'Always leave things the way you found 'em!'"

Archived