John Angelos approved as Orioles primary contact

MurphDogg

This had been simmering for a couple years. Peter was clearly not making any decisions, but had still been listed as the primary contact for league matters.

The article also mentions the recent talk about selling the team and how it would benefit the Angelos family to wait until Peter passes away to sell the team so that the sons get a stepped up basis and don't pay capital gains taxes on the increased value of the team (compared to when Peter bought it) when they sell it.

The bigger issue is whether the sons will be forced by estate tax considerations to sell the team when Peter dies. The family's full financial picture is not publicly known.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

This had been simmering for a couple years. Peter was clearly not making any decisions, but had still been listed as the primary contact for league matters.

The article also mentions the recent talk about selling the team and how it would benefit the Angelos family to wait until Peter passes away to sell the team so that the sons get a stepped up basis and don't pay capital gains taxes on the increased value of the team (compared to when Peter bought it) when they sell it.

The bigger issue is whether the sons will be forced by estate tax considerations to sell the team when Peter dies. The family's full financial picture is not publicly known.

It has been simmering, but this is mostly a technical/clerical thing For MLB. They like to have the voice, the contact (owner) of the team to be only one person. 30 persons, one vote.

The passing of ownership or control has been almost assumed to be passed to the Bros for several years. This just clarifies which one speaks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am glad to have this issue resolved.    Next up: putting the MASN issue to bed.    

I think the MASN issue will be solved when the last cable company stops broadcasting TV and all the RSNs go out of business.  That this could have taken eight or nine or more years to resolve is hard evidence that the legal system is broken, perhaps beyond repair.

Nats: we think this is unfair.  Orioles: no it's not.  Court system: we'll tell you one way or the other by 2023.

We'd have been FAR better off with Newman telling Kramer and Elaine that he's going to cut the bike in half.  We'd have had an absurd conclusion, but it would have been over in 2012.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not trying to be morbid, but does this indicate anything about Peter's health? 

It is well known that Peter Angelos has been lacking capacity to make decisions by himself for a while now.  However many people live a long time with this condition.  So none of us know.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Why would they be required to sell the team for estate tax purposes? I can see why they might want to, although it’s hard to think of a better job, but why would they be forced to?

Because the taxes might be more than they could afford? Or borrow on their equity?

I really don't know.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Why would they be required to sell the team for estate tax purposes? I can see why they might want to, although it’s hard to think of a better job, but why would they be forced to?

The Federal tax on the value of an estate is 40% of it's value.  That is cash money they would have to pay.  Just using a value of 1.6 billion of the Orioles that would be 640 billion in cash.  I guess they can sell a large percentage of the Orioles to a minority owner to raise that money but anyone that would buy in would probably want a path to majority ownership.  Kind of what Bishotti did with Modell and the Ravens.

6 hours ago, accinfo said:

The Federal tax on the value of an estate is 40% of it's value.  That is cash money they would have to pay.  Just using a value of 1.6 billion of the Orioles that would be 640 billion in cash.  I guess they can sell a large percentage of the Orioles to a minority owner to raise that money but anyone that would buy in would probably want a path to majority ownership.  Kind of what Bishotti did with Modell and the Ravens.

How would it work if Mrs Angelos were to remain the owner? That could buy them time maybe 10+ years.

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How would it work if Mrs Angelos were to remain the owner? That could buy them time maybe 10+ years.

If she bought the club with Peter as joint Tenants she would keep the team as the survival owner but I suspect that isn't the case and she would owe the taxes just like anyone else.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, accinfo said:

If she bought the club with Peter as joint Tenants she would keep the team as the survival owner but I suspect that isn't the case and she would owe the taxes just like anyone else.

Am I missing something?

The IRS offers an unlimited marital deduction that allows married couples to make unlimited interspousal transfers of property without incurring a tax, either during their lifetimes or after their deaths. The deduction applies to both estate taxes and gift taxes.

https://www.thebalance.com/unlimited-marital-deduction-3505622

***Not the most authoritative source, but was a high Google result for "unlimited marital deduction" and a bit more digestible than actual tax code 

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Am I missing something?

https://www.thebalance.com/unlimited-marital-deduction-3505622

***Not the most authoritative source, but was a high Google result for "unlimited marital deduction" and a bit more digestible than actual tax code 

No tax is payable on the transfer to Mrs. Angelos, but there will be a tax on the transfer from Mrs. Angelos.