Orioles make sense for Schwarber....but does it make sense for the Orioles?

Roll Tide

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Schwarber has some stuff in common with Kjerstad - mega NCAA slugger, selected in the course of a multi-year stockpile.

Obviously with the dogpile you'd sign up in blood for Kjerstad to have Schwarber's run, but he makes an interesting player comp.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d only sign up for Schwarber’s run if the WS ring comes with it.   Individually, 5.1 rWAR is not something I’d sign in blood for.   The Cubs loved him so much they nontendered him.  

FWIW, if Kjerstad has Schwarber’s bat (prior to the bottom falling out in 2020) with ML average defense in RF, that’s a really nice player and a good draft selection. 

9 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

FWIW, if Kjerstad has Schwarber’s bat (prior to the bottom falling out in 2020) with ML average defense in RF, that’s a really nice player and a good draft selection. 

Sure, I’ll buy that.   Schwarber would be at 6.9 rWAR if his defense were average, through his age 27 season.   I’d take it.   Would I sign in blood for it?    That’s a bit strong.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, I’ll buy that.   Schwarber would be at 6.9 rWAR if his defense were average, through his age 27 season.   I’d take it.   Would I sign in blood for it?    That’s a bit strong.   

Completely agreed. I assumed that the “signing in blood” was for a WS result, but for the individual result you’re absolutely correct. 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Schwarber was always takes about as having a better hit tool than he does.

You would hope Kjerstad BA would be closer to 280 and that his slugging would be well over 500.  

Yes, better numbers would in fact be better. 

my point was solely that schwarbers bat (high OBP and 30-40 HR potential over a full season) combined with at least average defense, rather than putrid, is a really nice player. That’s all. 

21 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yes, better numbers would in fact be better. 

my point was solely that schwarbers bat (high OBP and 30-40 HR potential over a full season) combined with at least average defense, rather than putrid, is a really nice player. That’s all. 

A really nice player who plays more games, which means counting statistics like WAR would be more impressive.

• Upvote 1

On topic, I would actually like a Schwarber move if it’s sufficiently cheap (which I’m guessing it won’t be). 

Effectively giving him Nunez’s roster spot and playing him purely as a platoon bat vs. RHP. If he shows an improvement/bounce back to BA (and his whole triple slash as a result), he could be an interesting piece to move at the deadline to a team in need of lefty power. Probably doesn’t work if team plans to give Davis PAs, though, as Mancini and Mountcastle aren’t sitting for pitcher matchups (maybe a general reduced workload in Mancini’s case as he rebuilds strength, but this could equate to full time DH). 

• 4 weeks later...

The Washington Nationals have made another addition to their lineup. The club signed outfielder Kyle Schwarber to a one-year contract worth a guaranteed $10 million on Saturday, Jim Bowden of CBS Sports HQ has confirmed. The Nationals have since announced the signing.

Schwarber, 28 in March, was non-tendered by the Cubs last month. He was projected to earn approximately $8 million through arbitration in 2021, though the abbreviated 60-game season has thrown a wrench into arbitration models. Schwarber had a poor 2020 season, hitting .188/.308/.393 with 11 home runs in 59 games. 

• Haha 1