Trade Bait 2021

ScGO's

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with Wildcard. We don’t have to keep trading players as soon as they have any value or are making any money over the league min. Realistically it’s looking like we should trade Harvey, Galvis, Franco, Armstrong, and Severino, to the highest bidders. We don’t have to trade Means.  

We should listen to offers for Mancini, Santander, and Valdez, if we can get legit options at 3B, SS, and SP. 

We really need to hit on 2-3 of Akin, Zimmerman, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann, Wells, Bradish, and Smith, as MLB SP.  

On what planet do Severino, Armstrong, Franco of Galvis have any trade value? Mancini or Santander too. They have different issues but also minimal value at this moment. Harvey and Valdez may have a little bit only a little and not yet.

When I was in the army I learned that all tracked vehicles have an expected fuel range of 300 km, which made refueling much more simple.
Mike wants all of his productive players to arrive at approximately the same time. That means he will trade Means or not depending on the timetable for the arrival of the rest of the good players. It makes absolutely zero sense To waste a great player on a mediocre team.

but the guys you mention have little or no value.

Edited by Philip

36 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The ways to get players is to spend money or trade from depth. Having two starting caliber centerfielders is tradeable depth, especially when you have no shortage of corner outfield types on the team and on the horizon (Satander, Mountcastle, Stewart, Diaz, Kjerstad, Jahmai Jones and Tyler Nevin if they end up out there long term as has been speculated).

The Red Sox payroll in that 2018 World Series season was the highest in baseball at $233 million, which gave them the luxury of supplementing their offensive core with high priced free agents like J.D. Martinez ($23.75 million) and Hanley Ramirez (22.75 million), as well as mid-price free agents like Mitch Moreland ($6.5 million), Eduardo Nunez ($4 million) and Steve Pearce (acquired via trade with Toronto paying $1.66 million of his $6.25 million salary). 

So yeah, if the Orioles are willing to spend $60+ million this offseason, I am sure that they can find plenty of great options at 2B, SS and 3B, without trading from depth, but that seems pretty unlikely to me.

We will see how it turns out but Jones may be the 2B.   Seem like he will hit and they will work on his defense.

The O's could spend on short term contracts for a SS and a 3B and still be under 90m next season.   They don't have the big contracts that the Red Sox had.

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

You can disagree, but I think Elias is still "trade first" in his approach.  Means is the only one I think Elias would consider to an extension at this point, especially if we truly feel he is a true TOR pitcher by July

I don’t disagree with this, but you’re missing the significant question which is, “what do other teams want, and where can they get it?”

we have very little that other teams want, and nothing they can’t get somewhere else.

That’s the way it is.

Although Walter Cronkite said it better.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We will see how it turns out but Jones may be the 2B.   Seem like he will hit and they will work on his defense.

The O's could spend on short term contracts for a SS and a 3B and still be under 90m next season.   They don't have the big contracts that the Red Sox had.

So far Jones has been terrible on defense, I mean, terrible. We already have too many of those, so no thank you

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

You can disagree, but I think Elias is still "trade first" in his approach.  Means is the only one I think Elias would consider to an extension at this point, especially if we truly feel he is a true TOR pitcher by July

I think Elias will try to extend Means for 4 years  and Mancini for 2 years.     I think flipping the switch to contending happens when Adley, Grayson and DL Hall arrive.  I am projecting that as 2022.

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

So far Jones has been terrible on defense, I mean, terrible. We already have too many of those, so no thank you

By so far I am guessing you mean ST this year.  They have a year to work with him on his defense.   

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

By so far I am guessing you mean ST this year.  They have a year to work with him on his defense.   

He’s also been bad to start the season, but yes I know nothing about him before this season.

however, he has been a whole lotta bad on D.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

What are you basing this on?   He made two errors this spring.   Not great, but 57 players made 3 or more errors and 150 players made 2.    Andrew Benintendi and Ahmed  Rosario made six errors each.  

And yes, Jones has made one error since the MiL season started.   Anthony Servideo has made 2.  So has Toby Welk.   It’s early, you typically see more errors this time of year.   

By the way, I’m not saying Jones is good defensively.   I’m just saying you don’t have much to go on yet to conclude he’s been terrible.  

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What are you basing this on?   He made two errors this spring.   Not great, but 57 players made 3 or more errors and 150 players made 2.    Andrew Benintendi and Ahmed  Rosario made six errors each.  

And yes, Jones has made one error since the MiL season started.   Anthony Servideo has made 2.  So has Toby Welk.   It’s early, you typically see more errors this time of year.   

By the way, I’m not saying Jones is good defensively.   I’m just saying you don’t have much to go on yet to conclude he’s been terrible.  

I may be reacting a little too soon, and I’m freely willing to admit that, let’s talk again in 10 more errors. I’m still happy to give them a chance, I’m a little bit pessimistic because over the last several years the Baltimore emphasis has not been on defense, Despite claims to the contrary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how Fry plays out compared to Givens/Castro.    Sulser's performance has been just as good, but age, longer track record and use of right hand I think will make him less in demand.

Sulser and Fry are 9th and 17th in qualified reliever K-BB% on FG this morning, along with the sub 2.00 ERA's.

For 4-1-2019 to 7-31-2019, Givens was 24th, and Castro measured badly, but he was a youth/talent play for his buyer.

Anyway, Paul Fry 2021 seems too good to be true, but six more weeks and I think fair chance for it to translate to a Terrin Vavra/Kevin Smith level guy.  

• Upvote 2

I looked up Galvis at baseball Savant a couple days ago, and was astonished to read that he has a defensive ranking of -5 outs above average(My voice software hilariously interpreted that word as “ouch” above average)

I thought he was much better than that, but the trade rumors article about trade value certainly seems to think that it is a correct assessment. With that in mind, I think we should probably just plan on keeping him, because nobody is going to give up anything meaningful for such a lousy defender.