2027 is our year!

Griffey

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If I had to choose,  I'd rather get a WS title and not make the playoffs the other years than to make the playoffs,  yet never win the title.  Clearly both is the best outcome. 

How many years are we talking about here?

I'll take a decade of solid ball over one title and nine years of suck.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we skew old enough here that a lot of us remember '83.

LOL - I was 40 years old and hardly remember a play 37+ years later.  Tito Landrum?  Joe Altobelli?  Cal's catch for the last out?  I got nothing.  After 75, it's all mush.  And a serious run in 2027, well how will my brain process that at 83?

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was pretty young in '83 and just figured the team would keep on winning.

I was 26 and figured the same thing.   And why wouldn’t I?   They’d had a winning record in 17 of the 18 seasons I’d been a fan, and they had a 23-year old Cal Ripken and a 28-year old Eddie Murray.    I had no idea what was about to happen.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

We’ve had this question a few times over the years.   Most posters say they’d prefer the WS win.   Most of them have never experienced one.   

Me, I’d prefer the regularly competitive team.   I’ve experienced three WS wins, and they were great, but I get more enjoyment from being in pennant races year after year.    A season is far more enjoyable when your team is in the race than when it’s not.   Having that sense of urgency and excitement on a regular basis is better to me than having one year of ultimate thrill surrounded by many years of mediocrity.  

2012, 2014 and 2016 were a LOT of fun. One tragic end but still, 2012 was the most fun I can remember. Of course we all want the WS win but competing, every year, is the best.

• Upvote 1

Yes,  even over a 10 year period, I'd take winning a WS and sucking the other 9 versus 10 years of winning baseball but no WS.  However,  I'd assume that most all WS winners (note i said most) had at least a year or two of decent baseball on either side of their WS titles, so it's unlikely we'd have 10 years of .500 or less baseball with a WS in there somewhere.   I was only 7 in '83, but I also remember the great Buffalo Bills teams who never could win a Superbowl, and even the Braves who were so good in the 90s, but almost never got over the hump (yes, I know they did get one).  But I'd rather be the best once in 10 years than just 'really good' 7 out of 10 or whatever,  without ever reaching the top.   

All that said, 10 years is getting close to my limit. I wouldn't take 20 years,  19 sucking and 1 WS.  The line is somewhere between 10 and 20 for me... closer to 10 the more I think about it.  But it also doesn't help that we haven't won one in almost 40 years while the stinking Marlins have 2 since our last.   

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was pretty young in '83 and just figured the team would keep on winning.

I remember thinking in 1990 that it had been a long time since the Orioles went to the World Series. And now 31 years later...

1983 was the first year I remember watching baseball, and I didn’t fully appreciate or understand what happened. Much like yourself I figured the O’s would keep on winning. 

The whole point of supporting a complete rebuild is to build the org correctly, with deep depth as a staple. I expect near constant competitiveness (e.g., 80+ wins) beginning in a couple of years.

That said, even very talented teams often have to take their lumps, choke in big games, learn the tricks of the trade, etc. I think 2027 is a reasonable expectation for when we'll have gotten that stuff out of our system and have our talented core supplemented by a 2nd/3rd wave of prospects, including international guys. It's a fair guess IMO.

I think the Ravens have spoiled us.  Aside from a few stinker years, every year the team is in contention, we've made the playoffs more than not over our history, and we have two Super Bowl wins in 25 years, and are currently in the middle of a great young team making another run.  

But, how would we feel if with all that success, we had never made the Super Bowl?  It would be devastating.  

Like Frobby and Corn said, when we won in 83, I had no reason to believe that would be it for my lifetime.  I was only 9 years old, and it was the second time we'd be in the World Series in my short life.  The Orioles were the class of the league for many years, and then....nothing.  While 96 and 97 were fun, and 2012, 14, and 16 brought us back into that giddy feeling of playoff baseball, I am now nearing my upper 40's, and I honestly think I'd take that 2027 WS even if it meant 6 more years of losing to get to that point.  

The feeling I had in the upper deck when Damon Young cleared the bases to beat Detroit was awesome.  I still get goosebumps thinking about it.  But at this point in my life...I want to finally, as an adult, experience the ultimate glory of a WS win!

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

We’ve had this question a few times over the years.   Most posters say they’d prefer the WS win.   Most of them have never experienced one.   

Me, I’d prefer the regularly competitive team.   I’ve experienced three WS wins, and they were great, but I get more enjoyment from being in pennant races year after year.    A season is far more enjoyable when your team is in the race than when it’s not.   Having that sense of urgency and excitement on a regular basis is better to me than having one year of ultimate thrill surrounded by many years of mediocrity.  

I always agree with you on this.   1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1989, 1996, 1997, 2012, and 2014 are among my favorite years ever as a fan.   Of course 1983 is in there too but I don't think it's #1 or even #2.   If you are the type of fan that watches/listens to the vast majority of the games, that follows the team from spring training all the way through the end, the outcome of a few October games, while very important, can't completely overcome the excitement and enjoyment you got from following the team all year through the ups and downs.   It matters, a lot, but it isn't the end-all when it comes to what I get as a fan out of the season.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was 26 and figured the same thing.   And why wouldn’t I?   They’d had a winning record in 17 of the 18 seasons I’d been a fan, and they had a 23-year old Cal Ripken and a 28-year old Eddie Murray.    I had no idea what was about to happen.  

I am with you Frobby.  One WS Win is pretty thin bragging rights, real good only when the rest of the time is pretty forgettable.  How many teams does anyone remember that had only  1 WS victory and needed 3 more to win the WS?   But those long hot Summers decade after decade get really long and hot when you need 4 to really have something to crow/chirp about.  And if you have a real good team year in and year out,  there is always the possibility of going all the way, as remote as it usually is.  I would like to think that the Orioles are on the right track, but only time and hindsight will say for sure.  

On 1/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I think we skew old enough here that a lot of us remember '83.

I was in Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB, Texas and did not get to see a single inning of that World Series. At the time, wasn't a big deal... they'll be plenty more, I said.....  

8 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Like Frobby and Corn said, when we won in 83, I had no reason to believe that would be it for my lifetime.  I was only 9 years old, and it was the second time we'd be in the World Series in my short life.  The Orioles were the class of the league for many years, and then....nothing.

About the same experience here.  I have specific vivid memories of a World Series program with a franchise register cherry picking that the Orioles had played like .580 ball over some 15-18 year type span.   

SteveA ran that awesome time warp last winter - I have some vague notion another winter trying to figure out an '83 one.  After '83 its a mystery how with near two decades of greatness and an 8-win, 22-year-old SS it all fell apart.  It just happened in grade school.  35-5 and no wildcard didn't help.

Anyway, I feel this somewhat is a life perspective proxy.  Young invincibles want flags.   Having been in a Goldilocks little kid spot where Irsay heartbreak didn't turn to hate (stupefying aunts and uncles, parents kind of have no choice), the Colts hung with the Orioles through the Peyton Golden Age and boy there was another outfit with fewer dogpiles than it "should" have had (I generally see Earl's Orioles in the same light).   As a young man I didn't appreciate it as well as I should have.

By the rise of Bennett's Cavaliers, I had a better perspective, even after UMBC.   Though of course that sentence much easier to write since 2019!

What I'm still waiting for is that dogpile when you are really only the 6th best team some tournament.  Before 2027, please.

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I always agree with you on this.   1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1989, 1996, 1997, 2012, and 2014 are among my favorite years ever as a fan.   Of course 1983 is in there too but I don't think it's #1 or even #2.   If you are the type of fan that watches/listens to the vast majority of the games, that follows the team from spring training all the way through the end, the outcome of a few October games, while very important, can't completely overcome the excitement and enjoyment you got from following the team all year through the ups and downs.   It matters, a lot, but it isn't the end-all when it comes to what I get as a fan out of the season.

This is an interesting perspective as well, and one I was thinking about the other day when thinking about the NFL playoff.  Are the Ravens the best team in the NFL this year?  Heck no.  But can they get hot and win the whole thing.  Yes sir. Like we did with Joe's 11-0 td to interception postseason championship run, or like when our defense led us to our first championship.

Baseball can be the same way.  The best team doesn't always win.  We probably were the favorites in 2014 but injuries and a hot KC team knocked us out.  But yeah, 2014 was a hell of a fun year, and I'd like to have competitive, contending teams every year.