Trezza: Orioles 'listening,' but how likely is a trade?

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Dipper9 said:

If the hope is that Davis pulls his back shoveling his driveway (I KNOW he lives in Texas, shush) then why not just cut bait and let him go.  Its lost money any way you cut it.

Seems like it's an issue of having to play Davis' replacement at least the league minimum with the team being on a very tight budget. 

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The most important thing in that article to me is Elias stating that they plan to play Mancini primarily at 1b. Is that meaning very little Davis?

Davis isn’t going anywhere, he’s not retiring, he’s not being released, he’s not being traded.

With that in mind the thing to do is sit him on the bench in the 26th spot, and just ignore him. I think that’s what they will do

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The thing with Davis is, even if he somehow were to be decent again, it STILL wouldn't be worth playing him because they need to get at-bats for Mountcastle, Santander, Mancini and Stewart at the LF/RF/1B/DH spots.

I don't think Stewart will be a contributor to the team when they hope to contend (say, 2023), but it is at least theoretically possible as a first year arbitration eligible player that he could be around in 2023. He should get as many at-bats as possible until Yusniel Diaz comes up and takes his spot as another guy who is probably not good enough to be a starter for a team with playoff ambitions.

Likewise with Mancini, who will be a free agent after 2022, he should either be traded or extended within the next year and should play as much as his health allows.

Elias wants Mancini full time at first because it increases his trade value over being a DH.   Mancini should reach is max value at the trade deadline when he has two pennant races to give to an acquiring team  before FA..

Yes,  Mancini is a FA after the 2022 season.  Trezza got that wrong in the article.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Davis isn’t going anywhere, he’s not retiring, he’s not being released, he’s not being traded.

With that in mind the thing to do is sit him on the bench in the 26th spot, and just ignore him. I think that’s what they will do

After Mancini is traded in July,  Davis can be the backup 1B to Mountcastle.

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Reading this article makes me long for the ritual Spring Training articles with the infamous "I like the way the ball comes out of his hand" type quotes.

Ready to see some baseball!

18 days until pitchers and catchers... I hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias wants Mancini full time at first because it increases his trade value over being a DH.   Mancini should reach is max value at the trade deadline when he has two pennant races to give to an acquiring team  before FA..

Yes,  Mancini is a FA after the 2022 season.  Trezza got that wrong in the article.

He also wants him at first because it’s the position that makes the most sense for him to play at.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe, maybe not.   DH is not as draining for a guy coming for chemo.  But DH will not help his trade value.

He probably won’t play in the field every single day but 75ish% of the time, I would expect it.  Maybe a little less at first and more as the season goes on.

Either way, he’s the obvious choice at first base.

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I doubt it. There is labor uncertainty for 2022, which could further save money if games are missed and he is still on the roster.

I don't think he gets released until a new CBA is signed.

Do we know if the prorating is done against $23 M or $17 M, i.e. does the deferred amount get reduced also?