Posnanski Orioles Preview

Moose Milligan

9 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Thanks for posting. I can handle the Bundy and Gausman heartbreaks, but Yaz really has me wound up. Why couldn’t we have at least given him one chance in the bigs?

Why not give Ryan Ripken a chance in the bigs?

Yaz's ML OPS is over a hundred points higher than his career minor league OPS, despite him often being old for his level.  There was no reason to give him a chance. Other than his last name and the magic of hindsight that is.

You don't take guys that look and act like career minor leaguers and give them a shot in the bigs just to see if they magically morph into actual players at 28.

• Upvote 4

But they would follow this up by trading Machado for a group of prospects that have not panned out yet

Not sure this part is fair. Technically true in that we don't know what they will be yet, but Kremer looked really promising in his 2020 MLB debut and Diaz is still a promising prospect who will likely get a call up this year. Putting it in the same line as the Chris Davis contract seems to promote a narrative that's not quite as clean as he's making it out to be here.

• Upvote 1

Random player from history: Ken Dixon.

When Ken Dixon was in Double-A Charlotte, he was such a strikeout wizard that the organization would hand out K cards on the days he pitched.

To show just how far we are from 1984, Ken Dixon pitched most of that year for AA Charlotte. He struck out 211 batters in 240 innings, which is 7.9 per nine, which would be considerably below average in the majors today.

And he had 20 complete games.  Only once in the past 35 years have the Orioles, as a team, had more than 20 complete games in a season.  Ken Dixon had more complete games in AA in 1984 than the Orioles did in the 2010s.  In retrospect it's not surprising that his arm imploded in 1987, he allowed 31 homers in 105 innings and never pitched another inning in the majors.  And I think I remember something about a grievance from the Mariners after they traded Mike Morgan for him and then found out he was hurt.  They could have just looked at the 20 complete games in '84 and his 6.43 ERA in '87.

Also, I like Poz but don't have a lot of use for veneer-thin analyses of the local team by national writers.  He writes well, and some of it is reasonably connected to reality.  Weaving together six or seven years of Arrieta, Yaz, Bundy, and Gausman across multiple management teams into a Orioles cultural narrative is fun if you don't care too much if it's true or makes much sense.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Also, I like Poz but don't have a lot of use for veneer-thin analyses of the local team by national writers.  He writes well, and some of it is reasonably connected to reality.  Weaving together six or seven years of Arrieta, Yaz, Bundy, and Gausman across multiple management teams into a Orioles cultural narrative is fun if you don't care too much if it's true or makes much sense.

The Bundy and Gausman stuff is really thin. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Bundy and Gausman stuff is really thin. 

When hasn't a 10-start performance spike been a true indicator of lasting change?  Both Gausman and Bundy have pitched exactly like this over comparable stints in the past, but it's going to stick this time because Poz needs 4000 words on the Orioles.

Yeah. The whole thing about Gausman coming out was that he had a great change up to go with the FB, but didn't have a average or better 3rd pitch (slider). 

I was always disappointed in his change/splitter junk. I think it went backwards with the O's, but it was his calling card for a little while. The idea that he just came up with it is weak sauce.