Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the O's are leaning towards carrying 14 pitchers with the lack of quality starters on the roster, and that really places the O's in a hard spot with carrying Davis on the roster. 

I can't see them go with 14. That just restricts the bench too much. Their whole pitch since pitcher ST started was stretching out everyone as much a possible. I think they have to go with 13.

7 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Interesting to see what the terms of the deal are, and if it is a split deal majors vs. minors like the other vets they signed. Is this a sign they are ready to move up in the standings and begin to compete? Or is this just a guy we sign and hope to move?

I think it’s a guy that you know can play ball at a solid MLB level. And let’s face it, if he and Ruiz both had a really strong first half, there’s a much better chance you can flip a hot Franco for a prospect than a hot Ruiz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

Why keep him on the 40 man? We need the roster space. I know he has options, but if you are going to make this move to sign Franco, then you have admitted Ruiz is not going to make it. Ruiz is not a prospect anymore, and he has no other position. 

Why keep him on the 40?  He is the O's best backup 3rd baseman if Franco goes down with an injury.   Plus with Hunter Harvey probably going on the 60 IL and Sceroler probably being returned they do not need the space. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why keep him on the 40?  He is the O's best backup 3rd baseman if Franco goes down with an injury.   Plus with Hunter Harvey probably going on the 60 IL and Sceroler probably being returned they do not need the space. 

Why is Harvey going on the 60 day DL?

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

We have plenty of fallback options. We do not need a back up 3B. Valaika would be just fine, or Urias. Wilkerson will do in a pinch beyond that.  If Ruiz passes through waivers, outright him. Bannon is supposed to play 3B since Jahmai Jones is playing 2B with Richie Martin at SS. So, not sure where he could play everyday.

27 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I think it’s a guy that you know can play ball at a solid MLB level. And let’s face it, if he and Ruiz both had a really strong first half, there’s a much better chance you can flip a hot Franco for a prospect than a hot Ruiz. 

I do not disagree, but there is some drop off defensively. At 3B, you can live with that for better production. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

strained obliques take a long time to heal.

He isn’t going on the 60 day DL, at least not yet.  It’s not usual that you see that.  It’s always a week to week And day to day issue.  They aren’t going to pigeonhole themselves into saying they can’t do anything with him for 6-7 weeks into the season.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He isn’t going on the 60 day DL, at least not yet.  It’s not usual that you see that.  It’s always a week to week And day to day issue.  They aren’t going to pigeonhole themselves into saying they can’t do anything with him for 6-7 weeks into the season.

8 to 9 weeks

I was skeptical when Franco was first mentioned as a target because it seemed to me that Franco was just a more expensive version of Renato Nunez, who they let go. 

Maybe Franco is cheaper than I thought, or maybe they expect Franco's defense is not quite as bad as Nunez.

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I was skeptical when Franco was first mentioned as a target because it seemed to me that Franco was just a more expensive version of Renato Nunez, who they let go. 

Maybe Franco is cheaper than I thought, or maybe they expect Franco's defense is not quite as bad as Nunez.

If we are comparing Franco’s defense to Nunez, oh what an unpleasant place 3B will be!,

Jumping to the next position....2B Rougned Odor.

The Rangers are dumping and I think are ready to quit him.   After 7000-some 2B innings, they are "trying" 3B this spring, where Adley draftmate Josh Jung might flirt with a first half callup.   Odor has been one of the worst for 2019-2020; 6th worst on FG 2-year position player WAR (Pujols, Smoak, Evan White, Adam Jones, Miggy), but I do think more upside than Yolmer.

Like Galvis, OAA across the years sees the body of work good, and the 2020 worse: 4th of 40 in 2018, 13th of 39 in 2019, 29th of 49 last year.  5th of 34 in OAA's entire multi-year sample, but he's older now.   Like, three years older than Yusniel Diaz old.

He has about 2/25 (and a $3M buyout for 2023) to go, though that's more for Davis trade scenarios if we wanted dibs before a DFA.

And of course, he's had one shining moment to the Orioles fanbase it might help to pass the time this year to recall now and again.