Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes..

And you are right. Mullins then would be the extra player with Sisco and Valaika. Good catch. I even thought that through and missed that. :D

I do wonder if 4 off days thru April 22 and always a threat of rain this time of the year if that helps them go with 13 instead of 14 arms. 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t believe that’s been the case in the past but maybe there was a rule change I glossed over?

In any event, they aren’t going to 60 day him out of the gate unless they know for sure it’s a severe issue.  I guess there is a way of knowing that but I’m not sure with something like this.  It’s always so day to day and week to week.

My recollection from past years is that there is a date in spring training, about a week before Opening Day, that you can retroactively back date DL stints to.

So t he truth is in between.   You can't start the 60 day clock now, but there is a date you can start it that is before Opening Day.   I do not know the exact date.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do wonder if 4 off days thru April 22 and always a threat of rain this time of the year if that helps them go with 13 instead of 14 arms. 

There is a stretch from April 3rd through the 18th with only one scheduled off day assuming no rainouts. That could factor in the team going with a 14 man pitching staff to start the year. 

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is a stretch from April 3rd through the 18th with only one scheduled off day assuming no rainouts. That could factor in the team going with a 14 man pitching staff to start the year. 

Yeah, it depends how you frame it.

1 game off day -4/2

6 games off day -4/9

9 games off day -4/19

2 games off day - 4/22

I would go with 13 pitchers and react if you need more at some point. Always possible rotation is so bad at start they have to go to that but I wouldn’t commit to it until you have to.  

That said maybe there is an arm they want to give a look at for longer. 

45 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think with the innings concerns they have this season after last season, I would not be surprised to see a lot of teams going to 14 pitchers

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is there a covid allowance for 14 pitchers? I thought it was a 13 pitcher limit.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

My recollection from past years is that there is a date in spring training, about a week before Opening Day, that you can retroactively back date DL stints to.

So t he truth is in between.   You can't start the 60 day clock now, but there is a date you can start it that is before Opening Day.   I do not know the exact date.

I posted about this on page 8, with a link. Basically, the Orioles can put CD on the 60 day IL during Spring Training or during the regular season. However, the player has to stay on the 60 day IL for at least 60 days of the regular season. So, cannot back date it. 

Like you, I had the same thought and recollection.

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

I posted about this on page 8, with a link. Basically, the Orioles can put CD on the 60 day IL during Spring Training or during the regular season. However, the player has to stay on the 60 day IL for at least 60 days of the regular season. So, cannot back date it. 

Like you, I had the same thought and recollection.

Is there a 162 day IL? ;) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a slight upgrade.  And Maikel Franco was a good prospect for the Phillies a few years ago, maybe Elias thinks there's some better performance he can tease out of him.  

It's not a huge upgrade over Ruiz but it's an upgrade.  

Exactly how I see it, Moosalini.   We’re talking 2.5 rWAR, 4.8 fWAR in 2782 PA vs. 0.4 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR in 812 PA.   Neither is anything to write home about but Franco is a tad better.     So long as we’re not paying him much, I’m cool with it.   

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Exactly how I see it, Moosalini.   We’re talking 2.5 rWAR, 4.8 fWAR in 2782 PA vs. 0.4 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR in 812 PA.   Neither is anything to write home about but Franco is a tad better.     So long as we’re not paying him much, I’m cool with it.   

There was some conjecture by unknown people replying to some of Heyman's tweets that said it was 1 year/$1.2 million. Take that for what it's worth, of course. But I could see that as a base salary with more incentives. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think anything is dragging right now. Elias said just a few days ago nothing was on the horizon which meant he hadn't heard back most likely from Boros on their offer. After he said that, Franco probably was like, "I need to make a decision" and decided to go with the Orioles offer due to the fact it gives him the chance to play everyday and rebuild his value.

Boros then probably was working some performance bonuses in games played into the mix because he's Boros.

Now we're probably waiting on the medicals to get done before announcing.

In this COVID world, that's not as fast as it's been in the past.

I'm confident Franco will be the starting 3B come opening day, but may be a little rusty with his late start. 

Cots Contracts says Octagon is Franco agent.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/league-info/free-agent-position-players/