DJ Stewart..breakout candidate?

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am sure Mountcastle will play some LF but Hays, Mullins and Santander are pushing him toward DH.   His defense in left this spring has been inconsistent.   That could impact Stewart ability to get at bats.

I bet Santander plays more DH than Ryan. They need to see Ryan in the OF. 

34 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What do you mean either way? I'm pretty sure if he hit fastballs at a league average rate and played average defense while keeping his barrel% and walk rate where they are, he'd be a lot more than a role-player

His game isn’t good enough to be an everyday player.  He doesn’t hit lefties well enough, doesn’t hit for a good enough average and doesn’t play good enough defense.

He’s a 300-400 at bat player who you put in the sofa occasionally and let him DH the rest of the time.

Nothing wrong with that...a lot of players are like that.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

His game isn’t good enough to be an everyday player.  He doesn’t hit lefties well enough, doesn’t hit for a good enough average and doesn’t play good enough defense.

He’s a 300-400 at bat player who you put in the sofa occasionally and let him DH the rest of the time.

Nothing wrong with that...a lot of players are like that.

Until he gets expensive.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am sure Mountcastle will play some LF but Hays, Mullins and Santander are pushing him toward DH.   His defense in left this spring has been inconsistent.   That could impact Stewart ability to get at bats.

I do like that alignment but I guess on that wonder I was more accepting the team's LF Mountcastle bargaining position.   For sure Mullins or Hays would be just as good or better choices as Ruiz/Valaika.

Its strange to say but for our current circumstances Backup 1B is I guess a big role.  Mountcastle feels like the obvious guy, having been near full time there most of 2019, but for the team's new preference.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They want to see Ryan in the outfield.  They don't need him out there as long as Mullins, Hays and Santander stay heathy.

Santander was rumored to be a trade candidate. Mountcastle is younger and has 6 years of service time. They aren’t turning him into a DH at 23 to play Mullins some. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mullins' defense + offense < Mountcastle's defense + offense.

imo

To me it’s not even about that.  It’s about the future. They need to see what he can do in the OF. I’m not saying he won’t be a DH some but I doubt it’s significant. 

Couple more things. I have wanted to see Stewart play the last 2 years. I hope he gets a lot of at bats. Give him a look. 

Another is we haven’t to my knowledge seen Ryan at 1B in a game all spring. They seem committed to playing him in LF and seeing what he can do.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Santander was rumored to be a trade candidate. Mountcastle is younger and has 6 years of service time. They aren’t turning him into a DH at 23 to play Mullins some. 

By next spring I think there is better odds that Santander will be in right, Mountcastle will be at 1B and Mancini will have been traded. Remember Mancini is a FA after 2022.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

By next spring I think there is better odds that Santander will be in right, Mountcastle will be at 1B and Mancini will have been traded. Remember Mancini is a FA after 2022.

Entirely possible but I think for now they will exhaust their looks at Mountcastle in LF. 

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

To me it’s not even about that.  It’s about the future. They need to see what he can do in the OF. I’m not saying he won’t be a DH some but I doubt it’s significant. 

I

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Couple more things. I have wanted to see Stewart play the last 2 years. I hope he gets a lot of at bats. Give him a look. 

Another is we haven’t to my knowledge seen Ryan at 1B in a game all spring. They seem committed to playing him in LF and seeing what he can do.  

We have not seen Valdez start.....well not until Tuesday.   We don't know how much they are working with Mountcastle at 1B on the back fields.

The thing we do know is that Mountcastle's bat will be in the lineup.

Just now, wildcard said:

I

We have not seen Valdez start.....well not until Tuesday.   We don't know how much they are working with Mountcastle at 1B on the back fields.

I don’t think that is a fair comparison. Valdez is still pitching and did pitch as a starter in the winter. 1B is an entirely different position. 

He may be working out some at 1B but I would think he would be there some in games if they wanted to go that route.