Turgeon's Decade

Turd's first ten seasons have resulted in one single trip to the Sweet Sixteen. That's terrible. And inexcusable. Maryland is a prestigious school as a basketball destination. 

One could say, "but they canceled the tourney last year." That's makes him 1 for 9, a .111 percentage. Gary inherited a team in NCAA jail and guided them to 4 Sweet Sixteens in his first decade. Oh, and the NCAA declared the Terps ineligible for the tournament in his second season, making him 4 for 9, a .444 percentage. After getting the programmed re-established and missing the tourney his first four seasons, he guided the team to 4 Sweet Sixteen trips in the last 6 games of his first decade.

Tonight, Alabama proved to be the superior team and that's OK. Some have said that this was Turd's best season coaching here. But it's not about tonight, it's about the weak results over a ten-year period. UM's administration made a mistake by extending his contract. How I wish we could turn the page to a new coach next season.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Turd's first ten seasons have resulted in one single trip to the Sweet Sixteen. That's terrible. And inexcusable. Maryland is a prestigious school as a basketball destination. 

One could say, "but they canceled the tourney last year." That's makes him 1 for 9, a .111 percentage. Gary inherited a team in NCAA jail and guided them to 4 Sweet Sixteens in his first decade. Oh, and the NCAA declared the Terps ineligible for the tournament in his second season, making him 4 for 11, a .444 percentage. After getting the programmed re-established and missing the tourney his first four seasons, he guided the team to 4 Sweet Sixteen trips in the last 6 games of his first decade.

Tonight, Alabama proved to be the superior team and that's OK. Some have said that this was Turd's best season coaching here. But it's not about tonight, it's about the weak results over a ten-year period. UM's administration made a mistake by extending his contract. How I wish we could turn the page to a new coach next season.

What's your expectations for the Terps?  2 s16?  5?

For what it's worth, I think that most Maryland fans have an inflated sense of self-worth when it comes to our place in the historical basketball pecking order.  And I kind of am leaning toward wanting Turgeon gone now too.

Couldn't defend Alabama plain and simple.  They were too quick and shot the lights out.  They also dominated rebounding.

Terps need to recruit some big physical big men to guard the rim and rebound.  I'd like to see Marial develop next year, it is pointless having a player with his size on the bench.  Also hoping Julian Reese comes ready to play immediately.  Finally gonna need a primary ball handler who can distribute.  I like Ayala and really liked how he stepped his game up, but he's more of a 2.  Ike Cornish is billed as a SG as well.

I don't hate Turgeon like most people but I agree the results have been lukewarm at best.  I am fine hiring someone else after his contract expires.  I think he has done a good job recruiting talent, developing that talent and coming up with game plans to get the most out of that talent is another story.    

I disagree with the notion that this was MT's best year coaching, because recruiting and roster building are a longer term aspect of coaching. He only had 5 guys he trusted to be on the court, 1 of his subs was a walk on, and 2 of his subs were transfers (and Hamilton had to get last minute NCAA approval to play). 

He can't recruit and build a roster pipeline. I think he needs to go. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I disagree with the notion that this was MT's best year coaching, because recruiting and roster building are a longer term aspect of coaching. He only had 5 guys he trusted to be on the court, 1 of his subs was a walk on, and 2 of his subs were transfers (and Hamilton had to get last minute NCAA approval to play). 

He can't recruit and build a roster pipeline. I think he needs to go. 

His recruiting is falling off a cliff. 

2018: 7th

2019: 29th, mainly because of the Mitchell twins

2020: 58th

2021: 44th

With the amount of talent in the DMV area, the recruiting results the last 3 years are pathetic.  Recruiting was supposed to be the one thing that he’s good at, but he can’t even do that anymore.  

• Upvote 1

Going back before Turgeon, 1 Sweet 16 in 17 years is just pathetic. And that lone Sweet 16 was due to getting Hawaii in the second round.

Feel like they would've beaten most teams last night. Just needed to avoid getting Alabama or Gonzaga.

Turgeon's just a lousy coach though in terms of feel for the game. We take the early lead, played really well with all the momentum and he decides it's a good idea to sub 3 players at once including Mona. Instant massive point swing and momentum handed to Alabama.

Time for us to try to find the next Nate Oats.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Glenn Clark on Pressboxonline had a good piece on "Turgatory".

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/03/23/glenn-clark-after-another-early-exit-maryland-basketball-remains-where-it-was-five-years-ago/

I for one would like to see them move on from Turgeon, but I don't see this AD doing so. As long as they make money he's happy. 

“Someone close to the program said (Turgeon) has been looking for power-five jobs back in the Midwest,” Bishop said. “That he is looking to get back home. He's from Topeka, Kansas. He was sniffing around the Wichita State job after they let go of Marshall, but Wichita State hired the assistant for a five-year deal. That's just a rumor. All rumors. But the guy told me Turg might be fed up with the pace of DC, get back home, slow it down a little bit."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/Mark-Turgeon-Maryland-Terrapins-basketball-looking-for-exit-Power-Five-job-Midwest-162995890/Amp/

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/03/23/glenn-clark-after-another-early-exit-maryland-basketball-remains-where-it-was-five-years-ago/

I for one would like to see them move on from Turgeon, but I don't see this AD doing so. As long as they make money he's happy. 

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Article/Mark-Turgeon-Maryland-basketball-fired-buyout-leaving-new-job-163011072/

There's a lot of smoke here.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That article underscores how bad a program builder he is. Maryland's hopes next year likely rest on Wiggins and Scott not going pro, Morsell getting an extra year of eligibility and freshmen outperforming expectations? Not to mention no player transfers? A coach who can recruit would have good freshmen/sophomores/juniors moving up a year and new freshmen pushing for playing time, with potential transfers being icing on the cake. 

Turgeon is so bad at program building that he makes Gary Williams look like a premium recruiter.

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

That article underscores how bad a program builder he is. Maryland's hopes next year likely rest on Wiggins and Scott not going pro, Morsell getting an extra year of eligibility and freshmen outperforming expectations? Not to mention no player transfers? A coach who can recruit would have good freshmen/sophomores/juniors moving up a year and new freshmen pushing for playing time, with potential transfers being icing on the cake. 

Turgeon is so bad at program building that he makes Gary Williams look like a premium recruiter.

I think that Gary was greatly underrated as a recruiter, especially early in his career. Yeah, he's no Calipari or Coach K or Roy Williams, but few people are.  He still had Joe Smith, Stevie Franchise, and Walt Williams on his squads before he even hung his first Final Four banner.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Gary didn't recruit The Wizard.

I'm aware, but if I recall, the entire team was free to transfer without penalty and Williams convinced him to stay. Turgeon also didn't recruit Len but he convinced him not to decommit. 

12 hours ago, Hallas said:

I'm aware, but if I recall, the entire team was free to transfer without penalty and Williams convinced him to stay. Turgeon also didn't recruit Len, but he convinced him not to de-commit. 

o

Stats that don't show up in the official box-score, such as when a guy boxes out 2 opposing players to allow his teammate to get an easy rebound. That counts for no points, no assists, no rebounds, no steals, and no blocked shots ...... but if you watched the game, you know that it was important.

o