Reliever question

HowAboutThat

OK, we’re getting down to the nitty-gritty. Here’s a question:

Would you rather have Sulser and Lakins or Sceroler and Wells? How about Greene and Wells?

We can send down Sulser Without losing him, and doing so is a no-brainer. I don’t think Lakins would get claimed, but he might, but if he is, well… Would you rather have Lakins or Wells?

I am in favor of keeping the maximum number of high-upside guys, and I would like to keep both rule five guys, at least to start the season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Give me Lakins, Greene, and Wells. 

I hope you are not basing your ranking on spring stats. What part of Greene's resume would put him above Sceroler and Wells? I'm not seeing it. Low K's, high BB's, mediocre ERA. I'm not seeing the upside there. 

Wells has less experience but high K/9 and low BB's. For what it's worth he has also had a great spring. With some AA experience I think he could hold his own at MLB level. 

14 pitchers:

Means
Kremer
Harvey
Valdez
Zimmermann

Lopez
Lakins
Sceroler
T Wells
Tate
Sulser
Armstrong
Fry
Scott

Akins optioned.   I like Greene but I think Elias may use Davis 40 man spot for a waiver claim.  If that happens there is no one Elias will DFA to make room for Greene.

Valdez may be moved to the pen when Lowther is ready.  Lowther impressed Hyde with his escape from base loaded outing.

I'm in favor of keeping Lakins, he's still only 26 and has plenty of team control remaining, and he has been pretty solid for us over the last 2 years- 3.31 ERA/3.83 FIP and a 143 ERA+. Not really sure why he gets so much hate here.

I'd also like to keep at least one of the Rule 5 guys so that we didn't end up losing Zach Pop for absolutely nothing.

So I guess put me down for Lakins and Wells?

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Akins optioned.   I like Greene but I think Elias may use Davis 40 man spot for a waiver claim.  If that happen there is no one Elias will DFA to make room for Greene.

Valdez may be moved to the pen when Lowther is ready.  Lowther impressed Hyde with his escape from base loaded outing.

That seems harsh. I feel like Akin should still get the chance to start and we need Valdez in the bullpen. If Akin is bad then bring up Lowther. Assuming 13 pitchers, I would have Wells making it and then picking one of Sulser, Sceroler, Greene. I think I would go with Sceroler and option Sulser as OP suggested. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

That seems harsh. I feel like Akin should still get the chance to start and we need Valdez in the bullpen. If Akin is bad then bring up Lowther. Assuming 13 pitchers, I would have Wells making it and then picking one of Sulser, Sceroler, Greene. I think I would go with Sceroler and option Sulser as OP suggested. 

Watching Akin not being able to get through 3 innings is harsh.   He needs to figure out how to stop throwing so many pitches per inning.

He did not average 5 innings in AAA in 2019.  He only went 5 innings in 2 of his 6 starts in 2020.  And he has not pitched more the 3 innings in a game this spring.   

• Upvote 2

Just now, wildcard said:

Watching Akin not being able to get through 3 innings is harsh.   He needs to figure out how to stop throwing so many pitches per inning.

He did not average 5 innings in AAA in 2019.  He only went 5 innings in 2 of his 6 starts in 2020.  And he has not pitched more the 3 innings in a game this spring.   

Then put him in the bullpen. If he fails, so be it. I don't see what he's going to learn in AAA that he hasn't already learned. It's possible he will be terrible but at least we will know that he is terrible. 

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sending Akin to AAA is just stupid.  There is zero justification for it.

I just stated the justification.   What is the justification for keeping him on the 26 man roster.  He has not shown he can go 5 innings this spring. If he can't go 5 innings  he stress the pen.

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Then put him in the bullpen. If he fails, so be it. I don't see what he's going to learn in AAA that he hasn't already learned. It's possible he will be terrible but at least we will know that he is terrible. 

They want Akin to be a starter.  Putting him in the pen does not help that happen.  He needs to figure out how to go 5 innings consistently.   The alternate site is the best place to work on that.  I don't think Elias is ready to give up on him as a starter.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I just stated the justification.   What is the justification for keeping him on the 26 man roster.  He has not shown he can go 5 innings this spring. If he can't go 5 innings  he stress the pen.

Your justification is awful.  You are basing it on a SSS of worthless innings.  

But it’s worthless to have this discussion with you because you put so much weight on SSS.  It’s really incredible how often you do this and don’t see the issue with it.