Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Article on Kelenic and Franco, and the potential dangers of calling up a prospect to soon when they haven't had many at bats at a level: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2021/06/08/a-cautionary-tale-when-dealing-with-wander-francos-promotion/

So I just read that piece and what "dangers" are you talking about?

Heck the article even says

using Kelenic as an example is an extreme form of cherry picking.

There is nothing I saw in that article that indicated that a "danger" exists for the player or his development.

Oh no, Kelenic got demoted.

Romorr: How close is a Gunnar Henderson 50 FV bump?  Same with Grayson to 60 FV?  Won’t ask about Hall, still think he needs to show a little more.  Any other Oriole prospects you thinking about as far as an updated FV?
1:09
Eric A Longenhagen: Gunnar bump yes, no Grayson bump (more about pitching in general than him specifically), Hall bump yes

For context, before the season he had Henderson  at 45+, Rodriguez 55 and Hall 50.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tantalizing excerpt by Dan Connolly in a June 22 column in TheAthletic.com:

...The scout told me that Henderson, a 2019 second-rounder, might be the best player he’s seen so far this year from an upside perspective. And then he dropped this hammer.

“He reminds me of Corey Seager.”

Yep. I just added to the growing hype. I apologize for that.

Henderson has barely played as a pro. This will be his first full season in the minors. He’s still a teenager. And we’re comparing him to the reigning NLCS and World Series MVP?

That might be a little much, but the scout says Henderson has the size and strength to drive the ball consistently in the majors, the athleticism to remain at shortstop if necessary, and a winner’s attitude on the field...

Edited by Paul in Virginia
  • Upvote 2

I was surprised to see Gunnar still listed at only 6'2" on minorleaguebaseball's player page today.   In my mind between the high school basketball and the thoroughbred tags, I kind of pictured him sprouted to 6'4" like Seager.

Tall + Bat Left + Play SS + Gunnar-level promise is a 4-part filter that probably narrows results to not many more than Seager/Gunnar/Marcelo Mayer.   Certainly shrimpy Wander Franco fails to qualify!

Got my popcorn ready for watching SS reps with Westburg and Henderson back as teammates.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I was surprised to see Gunnar still listed at only 6'2" on minorleaguebaseball's player page today.   In my mind between the high school basketball and the thoroughbred tags, I kind of pictured him sprouted to 6'4" like Seager.

Tall + Bat Left + Play SS + Gunnar-level promise is a 4-part filter that probably narrows results to not many more than Seager/Gunnar/Marcelo Mayer.   Certainly shrimpy Wander Franco fails to qualify!

Got my popcorn ready for watching SS reps with Westburg and Henderson back as teammates.

I don't pay any attention to listed heights and weights.