Trying to make sense of OD pitching staff

Tony-OH

18 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Very cool resource this, thanks, will make a lot of use of this, much better than using wikipedia + ugly fangraphs page to get an idea of a player!

And while I'm at it...Jorge López...he's made the rotation because he has a decent fastball? Because it's hard to see what else there is there...consistently bad track record, his career stats make for ugly reading. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flash- bd said:

Very cool resource this, thanks, will make a lot of use of this, much better than using wikipedia + ugly fangraphs page to get an idea of a player!

And while I'm at it...Jorge López...he's made the rotation because he has a decent fastball? Because it's hard to see what else there is there...consistently bad track record, his career stats make for ugly reading. 

I agree on the Lopez history.  He is a Holt reclamation project.  He has always had good stuff but could not win with it.   Holt and Hyde are pushing him to be more aggressive in the strike zone.  So far it seems to be working.

However I do think that Lowther is a better starter who will be knocking on the door early this season.   Lopez probably moves to the pen at some point.

From what I've seen from his statcast info that was available this spring, his stuff looks similar to his stuff last year. He seems to be using his knuckle-curve more but I think he's most likely in the rotation because he can take some early innings. It's either going to be hi or LeBlanc as that last starter with the other being in long relief. 

I think Lopez has a track record of what he's been as a starter but I still would like to see him as a sinker/knucklecurve guy out of the pen before giving up on him.

Haven't been following spring training too closely, can someone explain to me why Dean Kremer is not ahead of Zimmerman and Harvey? After his good performances and good stuff shown at the end of last season, I'd have assumed he would be pretty much the biggest lock for the rotation after Means...what has happened for that not to be the case? I know Zimmerman has done well, but in the end Kremer probably has superior stuff (right?) and had a good debut in his 4 starts last season, whereas Zimmerman is debuting...

How has Zimmerman's stuff looked, for what it's worth? Has he been holding that improvement in velocity that he's shown over the last couple of years in the minors? 

I wouldn't put too much into the order. Once opening day is over, every starter now becomes the #1 starter on their day to pitch. My guess is Hyde/Holt think Zimmermann may be a better matchup against the Red Sox than Kremer more than anything. 

Zimmermann has looked very good this spring and his velocity has ticked up to the 93-96 range. 

Ok now we can ask about pecking order.

The final pitching group hasn’t been determined yet, but it appears that Plutko is in.

Who is out? 
among the 40-man guys who can be optioned without trouble, Lakins and Sulser are on the bubble. So they go down. (If/when a DFA victim is needed, Sulser at 31 is most vulnerable.)

That gets the group to 14. If they go with 13, Tate goes down or Sceroler goes back. I think at the moment they’d prefer to keep Sceroler so Tate goes down.

So the most vulnerable are those four.

In 24 hours we’ll know.