Orioles getting excess vaccines

accinfo

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maryland is lagging behind some of the states. I am a 1-C and AA finally got around to letting me that I was finally eligible to go online and schedule my shots.

Yeah, April 27th is Maryland's date for everyone age 16+ to be eligible. Several states are already there or have announced a date earlier in April. I don't know of any state that has a later date, although some have not announced a date at all.

I was on the list for the Convention Center as a 2B and they sent me a text offering an appointment like two weeks ago, meanwhile the Maryland State Bar Association attempted to declare all attorneys as 1Bs or 1Cs on March 18th, and there wasn't any real pushback on that from the state, so I know young attorneys that have gotten vaccinated based on that. Things could be going more smoothly.

3 hours ago, now said:

There's the double standard at work. 1. Death with false positive COVID test = "COVID death." 2. Death of healthy person after vax = "no proven causation."
Doesn't anyone else think it's tragic that a healthy Hank Aaron died shortly after receiving his shot (though I saw not one mention of this "coincidence" in the many pages devoted to Aaron in the MLB.com columns).

Let correct some information, it was not shortly.

Check the dates, vaccination date = Jan 5th

Died Jan 22nd

He died at the age of 86.

In 2020, the US Black Male life expectancy is 75 years.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, April 27th is Maryland's date for everyone age 16+ to be eligible. Several states are already there or have announced a date earlier in April. I don't know of any state that has a later date, although some have not announced a date at all.

And getting vaccination is not going to get rid of the darn mask.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would encourage anyone following links in this thread to investigate the sources to see if perhaps they were linked to conspiracies and pseudoscience. 

I just hope enough of us get vaccinated in the coming months to allow us to get back to things like seeing baseball in person.

Texas is 100% open for MLB. I think they are jumping the gun a bit.

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

And getting vaccination is not going to get rid of the darn mask.

For the players it will, based on that memo.

I am a little squishy on the benefit of masks while sitting in seats of tiered rows of a quarter filled outdoor baseball stadium. Especially when you are allowed to remove it to eat and drink at your seat. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, MurphDogg said:

For the players it will. I am a little squishy on the benefit for masks sitting in seats of tiered sections of a quarter filled baseball stadium. Especially when you are allowed to remove it to eat and drink at your seat.

I hear ya, personally, this summer, we are staying away from crowds, trying to stay in our own bubble and keep everybody safe.

We rented a beach house last summer and was great plan B from our plan Disney trip with the grandkids. We had a pretty much private beach and a house with a private pool and we could control how had access to it.

I suspect we will do that again this summer.

I cant see ourselves being comfortable flying or cruising right now.

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Texas is 100% open for MLB. I think they are jumping the gun a bit.

They are having a full crowd in Arlington on Opening Day ONLY.   Then they are back to 11,000 or something like that for games 2...whenever.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They are having a full crowd in Arlington on Opening Day ONLY.   Then they are back to 11,000 or something like that for games 2...whenever.

That isn't true. They claim they will have social distanced sections for future games (ie once they can no longer sell out games), but they are not going back to 50 percent or lower, unlike every other team.

The Astros (50%), Rockies (42.6%) and Rays* (36%) are the only other teams over one-third.

*Rays are capped at 9,000, which is 36 percent of the recent listed capacity of the Trop but nowhere near the actual capacity.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

That isn't true. They claim they will have social distanced sections for future games (ie once they can no longer sell out games), but they are not going back to 50 percent or lower, unlike every other team.

Oh, OK.   Did they change that recently?   Because it was a few weeks ago they announced the full Opening Day, and I thought at the time they said starting Game 2 would be significantly reduced.  I know that original announcement happened before the Texas Gov recently removed a lot of restrictions.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know?  I don’t know what’s on the doc.

Of course, asking for ID as proof is apparently the worst thing you can do in this country, so not sure that would work either.

And that would have been the last straw for weams. This thread would have been locked if it hadn't previously been.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, now said:

Those injury figures include your brands too. For example, from trials: "For Moderna 81.9% experienced any systemic reaction. Grade 3 reactions (considered severe) were experienced by 17.4%. This is 79X more likely than the incidence of severe Covid in the Moderna group." (source) That's from just one risk-benefit analysis. I'm not intending to hash it all out here... just wondering why the O's and MLB aren't showing more caution toward their valuable human assets, regarding this experimental gene therapy with such minimal possible benefit to the players.

If you cannot understand that the reward outweighs the risk in terms of vaccinating players, not only for the Orioles but for everyone, I don't know what to tell ya. 

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

If you cannot understand that the reward outweighs the risk in terms of vaccinating players, not only for the Orioles but for everyone, I don't know what to tell ya. 

The health reward is infinitesimally small when 99.999% are already going to survive the virus naturally.
As for the social/professional rewards, they are considerable--that's what's being offered as a tradeoff for the risks.