The defense thread 2021

Frobby

First base/Outfield  are Mancinis college positions.   Mountcastles position coming up thru the ranks is OF.  To compare  Mountcastle to Mancini  defensively is a gross disservice to Mancini.  The AL has the DH.  What is so complicated  about grasping the idea to have Mountcastle  DH.  After Mountcastle missed an easy fly ball earlier this year, I said  the only glove he should be seen with is a batting glove. I guess the team must be going for 1st draft pick, but is very demoralizing to fans and probably players to have a person in the defensive lineup who is not a major league defense quality player.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

First base/Outfield  are Mancinis college positions.   Mountcastles position coming up thru the ranks is OF.  To compare  Mountcastle to Mancini  defensively is a gross disservice to Mancini.  The AL has the DH.  What is so complicated  about grasping the idea to have Mountcastle  DH.  After Mountcastle missed an easy fly ball earlier this year, I said  the only glove he should be seen with is a batting glove. I guess the team must be going for 1st draft pick, but is very demoralizing to fans and probably players to have a person in the defensive lineup who is not a major league defense quality player.

He was playing infield the vast majority of the time.

Mancini didn't play any outfield in College.  Not sure where you got that from.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2011): Appeared in 53 games and started 52, including 47 at first base and five at designated hitter

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2012): Appeared in and started 54 games (all at first base)

https://und.com/roster/trey-mancini/

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=163842

I'm guessing you are just making stuff up.

• Upvote 1

DJ Stewart fell down on a routine flyball that instead became a RBI single, as the 1st inning LF jinx continues.

Him getting the Start - Manager's Decision + Cleanup spot with Hays on bench I thought was an interesting lineup call (could Hays be flirting with 4th outfielder I thought Mullins was all winter), but that was an unfortunate goof right out of the gate.

36 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

DJ Stewart fell down on a routine flyball that instead became a RBI single, as the 1st inning LF jinx continues.

Might have been the most ridiculous play  I’ve seen since Jack Cust ran the bases.   Of course, Stewart getting bonked on the head while sliding to catch a line drive might be a close third.  

51 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Him getting the Start - Manager's Decision + Cleanup spot with Hays on bench I thought was an interesting lineup call (could Hays be flirting with 4th outfielder I thought Mullins was all winter), but that was an unfortunate goof right out of the gate.

Oof.

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Might have been the most ridiculous play  I’ve seen since Jack Cust ran the bases.   Of course, Stewart getting bonked on the head while sliding to catch a soft line drive might be a close third.  

10 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Hyde said he was just giving Hays the day off.

I think he is going to try to manage him some to keep him healthy, at least for the time being.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Might have been the most ridiculous play  I’ve seen since Jack Cust ran the bases.   Of course, Stewart getting bonked on the head while sliding to catch a soft line drive might be a close third.  

I don't know about all that.  That Pirates/Cubs play from a couple weeks ago was pretty ridiculous...unless you're limiting to the Orioles only.

I do seem to remember a play where the ball was thrown around the infield like a little league team, too.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Might have been the most ridiculous play  I’ve seen since Jack Cust ran the bases.   Of course, Stewart getting bonked on the head while sliding to catch a line drive might be a close third.  

Well last year Stewart closed his glove prematurely and had the ball bounce off on a sky high pop up to right field. He is perhaps the worst OF'er I have ever watched on a ML field. Exactly what will it take for him to be released?? At the very least he should never never never be in the field.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Well last year Stewart closed his glove prematurely and had the ball bounce off on a sky high pop up to right field. He is perhaps the worst OF'er I have ever watched on a ML field. Exactly what will it take for him to be released?? At the very least he should never never never be in the field.

Of course after he got back up he picked up the ball and made his usual rainbow throw over the cutoff man and to no particular base. Can't run, can't catch, can't throw.

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Releasing him would be moronic.

And that wasn’t a rainbow throw.  

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Releasing him would be moronic.

And that wasn’t a rainbow throw.  

I don't believe anyone said that it was a rainbow throw.  It was a stupid throw, though, it allowed the runner to go from first to second.

Releasing him would be a bad idea, however I can't stand watching him in the outfield any longer.  Every fly ball seems like an adventure and just watch...he will make another boneheaded play again here shortly.  He made errors after he got hit on the head with the fly ball last year.  It appears that his mistakes live on in his head...more mistakes follow after he makes a stupid play.

I think Stewart should strictly be a DH, which makes it hard with Mountcastle and Mancini in the mix.  Stewart's OBP skills are better than both of them, however none of these guys really have a position in the field that they excel at.  As much as I like Mancini I'd be in favor of trading him, giving Mountcastle first base full time and Stewart the DH role full time.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't believe anyone said that it was a rainbow throw.  It was a stupid throw, though, it allowed the runner to go from first to second.

Releasing him would be a bad idea, however I can't stand watching him in the outfield any longer.  Every fly ball seems like an adventure and just watch...he will make another boneheaded play again here shortly.  He made errors after he got hit on the head with the fly ball last year.  It appears that his mistakes live on in his head...more mistakes follow after he makes a stupid play.

I think Stewart should strictly be a DH, which makes it hard with Mountcastle and Mancini in the mix.  Stewart's OBP skills are better than both of them, however none of these guys really have a position in the field that they excel at.  As much as I like Mancini I'd be in favor of trading him, giving Mountcastle first base full time and Stewart the DH role full time.  

Webbrick called it a rainbow throw.

And no, it’s not ideal to have him in the field but what is Hyde supposed to do?

He is dealt a hand that is filled with talented but oft injured OFers.  You nearest and best OF prospect, Diaz, is also hurt a lot.  It’s just a bad hand that he is currently being dealt.

Its ironic though…the team has issues with staying healthy but when they are healthy, the depth is problematic for fielding the best team while trying to keep everyone healthy.

And yes, trading Mancini is the way to go.  And for those who say it’s heartless, I think that’s absurd. I would argue it’s heartless to keep him on a team that is happy to win 60 games a year.

OToH, I do feel he deserves some kind of a say here.  I do think you go to him and make sure he is ok with it and that you trade him to somewhere he would be happy with.  I think there should be a level of respect there and that has nothing to do with the cancer issues.  I just think it’s how you should treat these guys.

• Upvote 1

Since it hasn't been mentioned in the thread, and this is an ongoing thread about defense that may be read later when people don't remember the details of the game, I just want to point out that there was an hour rain delay prior to Stewart slipping and falling.

Whether it was an equipment issue where he should have had longer spikes or a field issue where the drainage was particularly poor in that area is unclear, but I just wanted to post this so people aren't looking back on this thread two months from now misremembering the time that Stewart randomly fell down while trying to field a flyball.

Missing the cutoff man was bad, but it is pretty embarrassing to slip and fall while trying to catch a fly ball, I kinda understand him being flustered and messing up immediately after!

• Upvote 1