The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

When will they consider bringing up prospects? Akin should be up as soon as he finishes his Penance, but also Lowther? Wells( the short one) sometime this season?

Baumann must be more severely injured than we suspect because we haven’t heard a peep about him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

When will they consider bringing up prospects? Akin should be up as soon as he finishes his Penance, but also Lowther? Wells( the short one) sometime this season?

Baumann must be more severely injured than we suspect because we haven’t heard a peep about him.

I wouldn't think you'd see a ton of movement before the MiLB season begins in a few weeks.  They're going to want most of those guys to get at least some time at AAA.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think most managers ever give a red light on bunting.   They trust their players to only bunt on their own if they seem highly likely to get on base and the situation is right.    So I’m not going to blame Hyde for not telling Santander not to bunt.    

As to Santander’s decision, I’d say the situation wasn’t right even if he thought he had a good chance of bunting for a hit.   First, there was already one out, so an unsuccessful attempt to get on base was going to reduce the chance of scoring even if the runner was able to advance.    Second, the pitcher was struggling with his control at that moment, having walked Mancini on 5 pitches and then going 3-1 on Santander, so the chances he’d get a good pitch to drive (or ball four) were pretty high.    I did not see the defensive alignment, but I’d assume a decent bunt would have landed him on 1B.  Even so, probably not worth it for a guy with power who isn’t very practiced at bunting.   

The thing is that overwhelmingly, the heart of the lineup, 3rd, 4th and 5th,  do not generally bunt  except on rare occasions, because they are your power hitters,  and when JD Martinez bunts, it is a moral victory for the opposition.  At least he did not knock  it out of the park with a couple runners on base. So bunts are a real weapon if the batter knows enough about baseball to know when to bunt and when not to.  I know from personal experience that I used  the bunt,  for among other reasons,  to get out of a slump,  if my hitting had not been  up to par.   And more times than not it worked,  since hitting is mostly psychological .  On my own, no manager/coach involved, but I led off so it was not unusual  if I did bunt every so often, esp. in college.  I enjoy seeing bunting used as an offensive weapon.       

o

(vs. MARINERS, 4/13) )))))) [DOUBLEHEADER]

As the Orioles prepare to play 2 games against the Mariners today, beat writer Steve Melewski chimes in on a subject that has been at the core of many posts in this thread ...... how does Orioles manager Brandon Hyde .handle the balancing act of pushing for wins daily while simultaneously realizing that there is a bigger picture at work for his team and organization ???. 

Looking at a Balancing Act for Orioles Skipper Brandon Hyde

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/04/looking-at-a-balancing-act-for-os-skipper-brandon-hyde.html

o

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think most managers ever give a red light on bunting.   They trust their players to only bunt on their own if they seem highly likely to get on base and the situation is right.    So I’m not going to blame Hyde for not telling Santander not to bunt.    

As to Santander’s decision, I’d say the situation wasn’t right even if he thought he had a good chance of bunting for a hit.   First, there was already one out, so an unsuccessful attempt to get on base was going to reduce the chance of scoring even if the runner was able to advance.    Second, the pitcher was struggling with his control at that moment, having walked Mancini on 5 pitches and then going 3-1 on Santander, so the chances he’d get a good pitch to drive (or ball four) were pretty high.    I did not see the defensive alignment, but I’d assume a decent bunt would have landed him on 1B.  Even so, probably not worth it for a guy with power who isn’t very practiced at bunting.   

I was thinking the opposite as most dont have the skillset these days as bunting is a lost art.

Food for thought.

My memory is probably hazy, but Brady being left handed, was able to lay his fair share of bunts down for base hits.

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. MARINERS, 4/13) )))))) [DOUBLEHEADER]

As the Orioles prepare to play 2 games against the Mariners today, beat writer Steve Melewski chimes in on a subject that has been at the core of many posts in this thread ...... how does Orioles manager Brandon Hyde handle the balancing act of pushing for wins daily while simultaneously realizing that there is a bigger picture at work for his team and organization ???. 

Looking at a Balancing Act for Orioles Skipper Brandon Hyde

(By Steve Melewski)

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/04/looking-at-a-balancing-act-for-os-skipper-brandon-hyde.html

o

This is a fascinating question, and the answer is ruined by the fact that Hyde is unable to talk freely, and Steve is unable to be the slightest bit aggressive in his questioning.
The result is seven or eight hundred words of useless fluff.

The real question, is whether roster selection is designed to actually handicap the team, in which case many decisions become much more comprehensible.

But I refuse to believe that Mike would deliberately sabotage the team in favor of a higher draft pick.

I can easily believe that Hyde is not a very good manager, Because not only does he not seem to make good decisions during the game, but he doesn’t seem to have the power of personality over his players, and they don’t feel any internal urgency.

While it didn’t end up hurting us, I did not understand Hyde pinch hitting for Urias with Ruiz in the bottom of the 7th in Game 1 of the doubleheader, after Urias had homered in his previous AB.   Ruiz walked, so I guess it turned out okay, but I would have given Urias his shot there.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While it didn’t end up hurting us, I did not understand Hyde pinch hitting for Urias with Ruiz in the bottom of the 7th in Game 1 of the doubleheader, after Urias had homered in his previous AB.   Ruiz walked, so I guess it turned out okay, but I would have given Urias his shot there.  

Seattle switched from a LHP to a RHP, so I guess Hyde switched from a RH hitter to a LH hitter.

Of course Seattle has a RHP starting game 2 and Urias is at 2nd and not Ruiz.   So obviously that doesn't fit that narrative.

I too would have let Urias bat... and then maybe would have hit Rio for Galvis, with Rio coming in to play 2nd and Urias moving to short.