Armstrong and Fry

Explosivo

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is it rust with Armstrong or is that he’s fallen in love with the cutter causing this?  He used to be upper 90s with high spin rate. . Now he’s throwing upper 80s cutters. 

I think we have to give him somewhat of a pass right now.

I didn’t see his outing yesterday but his first outing he was put in a bad situation and his second outing RM’s poor defensive play hurt him.  

He just had a kid, so sleep may be an issue, his mind elsewhere, etc...

What pitches he is using may be part of it too and that is something to watch but I see no reason for this thread either.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I get that about Armstrong, but we could’ve started him out in some low leverage situations to get back into the swing of things. That’s hard to do with keeping two rule 5 relievers. 

Yes I agree.  He should have been eased in better but Hyde is very hamstrung at the moment.

I think both could be useful but really should be kept out of high leverage. Unfortunately after Valdez and Scott it's pretty thin. Hoping Wells and Tate will start to emerge as shutdown options. Nothing worse than relievers coming in unable to throw strikes. Even if they don't end up in walks, bad things happen when you're pitching behind in the count and you don't have a 99-100 FB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I think both could be useful but really should be kept out of high leverage. Unfortunately after Valdez and Scott it's pretty thin. Hoping Wells and Tate will start to emerge as shutdown options. Nothing worse than relievers coming in unable to throw strikes. Even if they don't end up in walks, bad things happen when you're pitching behind in the count and you don't have a 99-100 FB. 

This right here is a big point. Fry and Arsmtrong are fine as 6th inning type guys or relievers you bring in the eat some innings, but you really need to limit their high leverage situations. Both are over exposed in that role.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I get that about Armstrong, but we could’ve started him out in some low leverage situations to get back into the swing of things. That’s hard to do with keeping two rule 5 relievers. 

To be honest, I'd like to see what Wells can do in a tight spot. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

This right here is a big point. Fry and Arsmtrong are fine as 6th inning type guys or relievers you bring in the eat some innings, but you really need to limit their high leverage situations. Both are over exposed in that role.

I don't think they are Mike Wright level of bad, but when trying to protect a lead in the later innings or a game is in doubt, they aren't your go-to pitchers in the bullpen. 

I’m not sure what’s up with Armstrong. New dad, so maybe he just needs to work off some rust and get some sleep.

Fry has almost always been a “pitch to contact” guy that keeps the ball on the ground (usually.) In 2019 he was over used later in the season. Not sure about 2020 as I didn’t watch much. 

Armstrong has been hit hard in all of his appearances.  The ball that went off the tip of Mountcastle's glove was a shot - he should have caught it , but it was definitely hit hard.  Then he gave up a double to the gap.  None of these were cheap hits, they were all hit hard.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Shrug.  It’s a long season.  Everyone is going to be exposed once in a while.  Armstrong is about as average as it gets.   He’s not off to a good start this year but in a few weeks he may turn it around.   Fry’s also pretty average.   Honestly I like Wells and Sceroler better in terms of potential.   

• Upvote 1