Connolly: P.A. Announcer Ryan Wagner fired on Opening Day

Moshagge3

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I really couldn't care less who reads the names of the players over the loudspeaker at the ballpark. Catch me caring about the actual team. It's clear the guy did something they didn't like, otherwise they don't cause themselves the headache of canning him before OD. Yeah the guy said JJ Hardy in a fun way, I guess? I don't know if that's enough for anyone to get twisted up about this, especially when no one knows the details. 

Would Gilbert Godfrey be OK with you?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Wagner didn't have a shtick like Rex Barney or anything, but I thought it was cool that our P.A. announcer watched Orioles road games and got into them.

I have to say though, as a representative of the organization, I can see how the Orioles would be skittish about Wagner flaming the Ravens on social media, even though he is a Ravens fan. But if the tweets from the Yankee series were the last straw, that's pretty lame. Not only do I want the P.A. person to tweet things like "Yankee Stadium is a joke" but I want them to announce every time this series when an Orioles hits a semi-deep fly ball to right how many rows back it would have been at YS.

Actually, I think the tweet about Brett Gardner was quite funny.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The idea that it mattered that his potential replacement was a woman is pure speculation on your part, right?    Do you have any facts to back that up, or is it just a guess on your part?  Roberson has been doing the Bowie games for 17 years; I wonder if she was considered by the Orioles back when Wagner got the job.

Roberson has been the backup for Wagner for years. She clearly was next in line if something happened to Wagner. I don't think her being woman has anything to do with anything. She's local, she has experience (17 years with Baysox plus years with the Orioles as a backup) and was clearly available to do the gig.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Five people I would like as the PA announcer:

1.  James Earl Jones

2.  Morgan Freeman

3.  Patrick Stewart

4.  Sam Elliot 

5.  Michelle Pfeiffer

Mike Rowe would be awesome is we wanted a local feel. I mean as long as we are going with celebrities who would never in a million years take a baseball PA announcer job.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No, that’s just a guess.  I think the Os are very much trending to thE current woke/liberal narrative way of viewing things, so I think that played a part in cutting ties.  

Again, I don’t think they fired him because they had a woman to back him up but I think it was a way they could sell it to people.

Wow, hiring a woman who has 17 years of experience at the minor league level to be a major league PA announcer is "woke/liberal" and not just a reasonable replacement?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Five people I would like as the PA announcer:

1.  James Earl Jones

2.  Morgan Freeman

3.  Patrick Stewart

4.  Sam Elliot 

5.  Michelle Pfeiffer

o

Bob Goldthwait might be interesting, also.

Add the lead vocalist of AC/DC, too.

o

33 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, hiring a woman who has 17 years of experience at the minor league level to be a major league PA announcer is "woke/liberal" and not just a reasonable replacement?

The first thing they did was put out a press release stating she was the first female PA announcer in Os history.  They couldn’t wait to make a point in saying that.

So yes, I think that’s the narrative they were/are playing up to.  Everyone else is, why not the Os?